Author Topic: I am proud of myself.  (Read 7877 times)

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
I am proud of myself.
« on: October 30, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »
I did something huge last night. For some time I've felt especially sad and low. I used to do belly dancing until 3 years ago when I 'retired' , then became a carer for Alan and then lost Alan. My sister has been trying to persuade me to return to belly dancing as a means of getting out, being sociable with like minded people, getting used to conversing again out in the big wide world. Last night there was a bellydance party (hafla) and right up to Saturday afternoon I couldn't imagine making the effort to get dressed up, put make up on and drag this sad, heavy body through a dance. I knew how cross I would be with myself if I didn't do it. So I went. And I danced. And I enjoyed it. And I'm proud of myself. I'm just posting this to say that although you may think there is NOTHING for you in the future, you just never know. I wouldn't have imagined this possible just 2 weeks ago, yet I did it. I hope it gives somebody some hope X
( apologies to those in the BUK group on FB as I've posted this there too as I'm so damned proud of me!)

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
Re: I am proud of myself.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 04:10:37 PM »
Good for you Julie,  I imagine you can be a fun lady when you put your mind to it, even a bit devilish perhaps...lol 

These days my own belly does a little dancing of it's own if I jump up and down.. :rofl:
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:31:33 PM by Brian71 »

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 05:29:06 PM »
  You should be very proud of yourself.  Others have no idea how hard these things are. Well done. Xxx

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 05:46:14 PM »
Well done Julie  :hearts: its hard to do, but helps us so much xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 07:03:56 PM »
Thank you- and Brian the more you have to wobble the better! If you go to youtube and type in Voodoo Lil you might be able to see us. I'm at the back left looking like a scared rabbit caught in the headlights with a turban and a big round medallion on.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 08:11:14 PM by Julie Magson »

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 09:52:07 PM »
I assume it's the 'North Wind Tribal class dance at Sowerby Bridge'   it looks like your all having a great time Julie.
Absolutely fabulous.....well done you!

Can't say my wife was that spirited, (probably helps if you've consumed a few spirits first perhaps...lol)   but she did go to Line Dancing quite often, which she enjoyed.   As long as your having fun....that's the main thing Julie.

Maybe I need to start doing something similar...lol

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 10:10:04 PM »
Well done Julie.Glad you enjoyed it.

I don't need to dance to wobble,but I was looking through my fancy dress outfits of days gone by earlier and found a belly dancing hip skirt with jingles.Also found a Tina turner wig so there you go Brian you're on your way to getting kitted out. :rofl:

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »
I don't need to dance to wobble either Karena...lol,   and yes I'd be up for that, can just see me in that outfit... :yahoo:

Think I might need a few of those spirits myself first though..lol

BTW Karena,  I thought you looked great when we met in Leeds,  not too cuddly, but nice n cuddly... :love:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:41:20 PM by Brian71 »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 07:35:47 PM »
Why thankyou gallant knight.
Sweets and boredom are my downfalls.but I think I may have found the solution having just dipped into the trick or treat cauldren I found a sweet that is being very challenging a refresher bar,I have been attempting to eat for about 20 minutes and not got halfway through it Meanwhile the pesky children have eaten the rest of the sweets.I,m going to have to get on with it or I won't be able to cackle from my broomstick later. :rofl:

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 10:10:50 PM »
I know that feeling Karena,  I have a sweet tooth myself.   I try and not buy them....but of course one occasionally weakens and you buy something knowing your being  naughty in doing so.  If I have a box of Malteasers,  they will all be scoffed in one evening, same with a packet of biscuits, so I try hard not to buy them in the first place if I can help it. (Easier said than done)

Same goes for my weekly shop,  I often don't go shopping some weeks, as long as I have the basics in of course,  I've started using long life milk now, as it was going off before I could use it all.   IOW  if it's not in my fridge/cupboard I can't eat it...lol
I've been living on toast or porridge for breakfast and Baxters soups all the week for tea,  saving me money too.
For a treat I'll open a tin of fruit.    It must be working as I've lost over a stone since the Leeds meetup,  I shall probably plough it all on again over Xmas....be fun doing it though..  :yahoo:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 08:46:25 PM »
Brian cuppa soups arnt exactly healthy,I make a big batch of veg soup on Sundays then portion it,at least that way I,m getting real veggies and not just monosodium whatsits.
Its the evenings and boredom that does for me the sweets attempting to keep the cigarettes at bay and both bad.
But I have ordered a pile of fabrics and craft bits today to make a proper steampunk costume,which will hopefully.  Counteract them for a while. :whistle:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 11:58:57 PM »
Julie - thanks for a little smile and reminiscence you brought to me with your post. I still have a photo and thank you poster from an ex colleagues belly dancing group. It was presented to me at an impromptu ceremony at work after I sorted out their music tracks for them and created a CD soundtrack for them. I never got the personal performance that I was promised, as Kenny Everett would have said "all in the best possible taste" of course  :smiley:.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 12:12:33 AM »
Well done Julie.

It can be so hard to get the motivation to go out and do something but you have cracked it. Hope you have many more enjoyable events to be proud of.

:yahoo:

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 01:18:16 AM »
The Baxters Soups I refer are the tins Karena not the cuppa soups,  such as Baxters Scotch Broth etc.  the tinned variety contain more vegetables.   I doubt the cuppa soups would sustain and keep me going,  I think they come in a little packet and you just add water,  I think my wife had one occasionally,  but not as a substitute for main meals I don't think.  I've never actually tried the cuppa soups,  I prefer more proper veg in my soups/broths...rather than just soupy flavoured water..lol
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:11:20 PM by Brian71 »

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 07:47:34 AM »
I'd be lost without my slow cooker especially now winter is on it's way. A pack of diced steak, a selection of root vegetables and potatoes, half a chilli, plenty of garlic 2 or 3 stock cubes a tin of chopped tomatoes topped up with water - takes me less than half an hour to prepare and that's me served for 2 days with a meal for a third day in the freezer. I'm making my own mouth water now  :laugh:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~