Author Topic: Loss of my soulmate of 52 years  (Read 12835 times)

Offline colin

Re: Loss of my soulmate of 52 years
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2016, 10:02:19 PM »
Hi Hubby,
    Thanks for your reply to my posting,When I spoke to my G.P,and told him how I felt he thought that grief will always be with us and we will in time learn to cope but we will never be the same our hearts will always be with the one we loved.The loss will be felt forever and memories will trigger our tears to fall.I will always bless the day when we first met at 17yrs of age.my Pat captured my heart and I still tell her that she took my heart with her,but one day we will share our love oncemore and it will be forever.3rd of Oct will be tearful day,we would have been together 52yrs mostly happy but like most we had our off days and had words but we always fell into each others arms,our love was so strong.I miss her with all my heart.
                                                                                                                            Colin.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2016, 10:29:17 PM »
Hi Colin

You obviously loved Patricia very much and I'm sure she feltexactly  the same way about you.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2016, 11:59:52 PM »
I hav'nt  been on site for a while

I find that I have to have a break sometimes when it all gets a bit too much, but up to now I've managed to keep coming back.

We used to go walking a lot with our dog, I live on the edge of the Peak District so we could be in a dozen different picturesque spots within a matter of minutes.

I keep getting nagged at by the family for not going out, especially when the weather is nice but they don't understand how hard it is to go anywhere on my own. For several years we were together virtually 24/7 and no matter where I go it is so painful.

The trouble is that I've ended up just sitting in the house sometimes for several days at a time. I'm brilliant at giving advice but when it comes to acting on my own advice then that's a different matter  :rolleyes:.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
If youre clise to the peak district longedge, why dont you join us in Leeds on Saturday, yes i know it soubds very daunting meetibg strangers, but i can assure you, it wont stay like that for long, everyone will be feeling the same, but within 5 minutes, we are all comfortable, im sure you wouldnt regret it. Xxx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline colin

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2016, 09:58:48 AM »
Good morning Longedge,
                             The way you feel and how you stay indoors for days at a time fits me like a glove,I don't really like going out on my own at all but I make myself do the shopping etc,everyday tasks are so hard to do.Again like you I also live near the peak district and we walked miles together sometimes doing 8mls/ 14mls rambles,we also did the lakes at least 4 times a year,how doe's one revisit these places without your partner,our loss is so hard to bear in these places,Ijust can't go back to visit.
                                                                                                  Best Wishes
                                                                                                      Colin
  with the help of the forum we may one day reach a level of happiness again.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2016, 07:16:33 PM »
The problem with traditional psychology when it looks at grief is that it focuses on effecting a "cure"  which involves detaching us from the person we lost.More recently a new theory came about called continuing bonds.
This recognises that we won't do that.If we are "cured" in two years its because we realised its not working and gave up going to see them.
Continuing bonds doesn't try to break the connection,it knows we can't and recognises we shouldn't be expected too.So focuses instead on coping with the change and how we can live with that.I mention this because Colin mentioned not wanting it to get better and I remembered feeling the same but a bit further down the road finding this was like a weight off my shoulders.
Society expects something of us and we come to expect it of ourselves then think there is something wrong wit us when we experience a different reality.We react by pretending or by avoiding people and even stop talking about that person whilst wrestling with the fear we are actually going mad.Reading this gave me permission to feel how I did and to be who I am.More able to manage but always aware of !ost loved ones,what would they advice what would they want me to do,and yes to accept that sometimes it will become overwhelming that they arnt physically here and that will happen probably forever , but that doesn't make me mad,Neither that I can't get any enjoyment from life,but in doing so take their spirit with me, Even if you dont believe in an afterlife or continued consciousness they moulded who you are and so will always be with you.

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2016, 01:00:26 AM »
I think I get what you are saying Karen and I fully agree.   There is no traditional cure for what many of us are suffering from, and indeed few so called experts actually have not experienced the loss of a husband or wife.  The Cruse councillor I saw just one time had not lost her partner, because I asked her, which surprised me a little.

I think there are two important words that people who are grieving have to come to terms with,  "Acknowledgement" and "Acceptance"  because it can take a while just to fully acknowledge what's happened, which is then followed later by accepting what's happened.   I think I have almost reached that accepting stage, though occasionally one will still have moments where your back at square one some days,  or it feels like that, albeit only temporary.

It is tough, there's no doubt about that,  I can think of nothing worse happen in my life that I and many others here have had to face, having lost their husband, wife or anyone very close.   The change afterwards in your life is dramatic,  and it can very difficult indeed to try and focus on anything,  but to move forwards we somehow do need to build a life out of what remains, and how we do that will vary as we all cope differently.
I have no intention or desire to erase from my mind the brilliant 49yrs I had with my wife Ann, those will always remain with me till I die,  but we can take all those great times with us, so eventually we view those many years not sadly but as something very good and positive, indeed we may even say we were very lucky indeed to have known love and been blessed with all those good times and great memories.    I hope eventually in whatever time I have left to take those fond memories forwards with me whatever the future holds,   but we have to acknowledge and accept and somehow focus on what we have now, or there is no future, we remain where we are, and we all know how sad and heart breaking that can be.

So no, there is NO cure,  but we can learn to cope with our grief, we can choose to never go out, not see anyone,   or we can force ourselves to open that door and reach out,  embrace what's out there and speak to people and make a new life whatever that may be.  Posting here is a good start on that path,  but that path also leads to many other things too,  but it won't happen by itself.    I certainly think it's better than the alternative.

So what will you be doing in 1 or 2 years time?

Me?   well, I don't know about next year,  but in the morning I head for Preston, then a night at Lancaster, and then a drive over to Leeds on Saturday to meet some very nice people from this forum which I'm looking forwards to, and then I leave Leeds Sunday morning for Inverness.   The alternative....well ?   that wouldn't have been nowhere near as pleasant that I can assure you.  Next week up Scotland will be a little lonely, but I'm trying... I'll let you know how it went when I get back.  Sorry for Rambling on, but that's the last for 10days..lol

Hope your next 9 days are all good one's, and I hope mine are too.   You ALL take care..  :hug:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 01:20:28 AM by Brian71 »

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2016, 02:02:07 AM »
Strange that you should mention acceptance Brian. I was talking with my counsellor today and she said that I may be beginning to accept the reality of my loss even though I still beg my wife to wake me from my nightmare and try to do deals with her to make her come back to me. Perhaps that is why the past week end a half have been filled with periods of feeling as bad as I have ever felt since losing her.

I am also having to face up to things in her final days that I had completely blocked out and avoided. It hurts but I know that until I face up to my demons I cannot squash them.

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2016, 03:15:30 AM »
I understand Hubby...I truly do,  I know only too well how hard it is.  When I'm in one of my more rational moods as I am this evening or should I say morning...lol,  then it's not quite so bad, and I know the hardest one of all is that last "Acceptance"   acknowledging to yourself is one thing, but accepting it fully is something else,  I think I'm getting close to doing that.  Maybe if I was still working such as you, it would maybe allow an outside interest,  I don't really know if it would help or not TBH, as you still have an empty home when you return....so I'm not sure which is the lesser of the two evils.

Anyway,  I still have another 4 shirts to iron, and a 2nd case to pack, before I can grab a couple hours, so you take care my friend,  I'll catch you when I return, or hopefully see you on Saturday... :hug:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 03:35:08 AM by Brian71 »

Offline mike59

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »
Hello all, you are all so right in How we feel, as some of you know I lost my Wonderful wife Gail 28th Febuary this year(2016) Like most of you I cant except it and will Probably never will. We cant help how we Feel after spending 38 wonderful years with the one person I Love so much,at one Point I just wanted to be with her but I couldnt even if I wanted too, my Daughter was having the Baby my wife helped to Create ( IVF), I have to stay to Love our new Grand daughter  who is doing very well, I know have another Hurdle to try get through or jump over my Father who is very close to me Long story for another time, He is 95 years and now Dying  he only has days or maybe hours he is very strong I just dont want him to suffer, sorry if I am taking over here but I wanted to let you know I agree with you all I was going to church for some kind of peace or Solace, since I have been very unwell and my Father I havent had chance to go,as to the going to somwhere like Cruse I agree with Brian unless somone has gone through this situation to me I think it helps them understand or realise how it feels or have some real feelings as we do ( god forbid that they have to go through this) I would never wish it or this on anyone again sorry to Rabble on (more to you Brian) as this is your Post.

hope you have good days ......Mike

Offline Tony07

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2016, 05:39:59 PM »
Hi Colin, I am so very sorry for your loss, I know what you are going through, my Carolyn died 4 years ago on the 23rd of next month and never a day goes by when I can't wait to be with her again. I have never gotten over the day when I found her dead in the bathroom. The grief still stays with me and always will I just have tried to learn to switch it off whenever I can, thats not for long though and then it comes back. I have now accepted that Carolyn is no more but I still can't rid myself of the anger of her death, my faith went out of the window and has never come back, thats another loss I have to deal with. Some days are good some a struggle even now, some days I feel like I am in Gods waiting room.
amor vincit omnia

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2016, 05:52:59 PM »
I also know the feelings of anger after finding my hubby in his chair xxx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Tony07

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »