Author Topic: lost my partner on 4th April 2016  (Read 3028 times)

Offline Andygi

lost my partner on 4th April 2016
« on: May 15, 2016, 08:33:45 PM »
sadly my partner Rosana passed away on 4th April in hospital following a long battle with alcohol problems. Today would have been her 49th birthday, yet sadly she left me far too young. Even though her passing was not unexpected and initially the first few weeks I managed to keep busy with so much to sort out but the past 2-3 weeks have proved very difficult with grief seemingly increasing and I spend much of the time questioning things I did or harsh words said, things I could have done, time I could have spent with her instead of away from her etc..it is very painful and hard to see beyond the immediate day.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: lost my partner on 4th April 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 08:45:52 PM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug:

Grief has a nasty way of making us think all sorts, lots of 'what ifs' and 'should haves'  it seems it is quite a natural stage of grief.  You need to be kind to yourself.  We all do the best we can with the information we have at the time.  We are human and we cant read the future.  Please dont beat yourself up, I'm sure Rosana knows how much you love her

Unfortunately grief is a rollercoaster journey, with no shortcuts.  It is painful, and may not feel like it now but slowly over time you will learn to cope

Please feel free to tell us more about Rosana, or talk about whatever you need to, you will find a lovely supportive group here all at different stages of their journey. xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Andygi

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 09:01:08 PM »
thankyou for kind words. Rosana had been having alcohol problems for the entire 13 years I've lived with her but she managed to stop for periods of time, allowing us to enjoy many things in life, holidays, days out etc...up until around 4 years ago when her intake gradually increased and we spent far less time doing things together and unfortunately I myself like to drink socially and in the evenings so maybe I was not the right person she needed around her these past few years. With my days spent working long hours self-employed Rosana would spend longer on her own and frequently buy large amounts of alcohol from the local supermarket etc.. sadly 2015 was a bad year and she drank so much that in the end her liver just gave in. Following 3 months in hospital where sadly she always remained in a confused state, she sadly passed away on 4th April. Unfortunately the last 6 months of 2015 were not great and I said a few nasty things I deeply regret even though I said sorry at the time. It was done in an attempt to try and make her see how far she had sank and to ask for help, but I fear my actions may have had the opposite effect and just increased her intake. Sadly I will never be able to find out. But coming home to her in a very drunk and sometimes unconscious state for months and years on end was tough, especially with her refusing to seek medical help. But despite all this I miss her terribly and cannot stop thinking about how I could have done things differently, it's so painful and I just feel like bursting into tears at any given moment

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »
It must be really hard trying to help someone in that situation. And from what you have said I'm sure you did the things you thought/hoped may help her. Unfortunately we are unable to go back and check what would happen with other choices, but you may have found the same outcome may have happened if you had tried different methods. Addiction is a difficult beast.  You should be proud that you tried so much as that shows your love,  others may have walked away  :hearts: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 12:03:32 AM »
Hi andygyl, welcome to the forums.

It appears that the first few weeks after a loss we are numb and in shock. On top of this we have things to sort out which keeps us occupied and family and friends give us support and comfort. Unfortunately, as the weeks go by, the support dwindles and the shock wears off and things seem to be getting worse.

Grief throws a whole range of emotions and unanswerable questions at us and also has a nasty habit of fading then leaping out on us again when we least expect it. It can sometimes appear that there is no way forward but, slowly and gradually, things become a bit easier and you find you can last a bit longer between setbacks.

Don't try to look beyond the day. Get through it however you can and eventually you will find you have better days.

Wishing you strength.