Author Topic: Work?  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Didi63

Work?
« on: January 19, 2017, 11:22:41 AM »
I am in between jobs at the moment, i know it's early days yet, not had dads funeral yet.
Not even got a start date for my new job, but when do you know when you are ready to go to work, or do you go so as to keep busy?

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
Re: Work?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:56:04 PM »
I took a month off work under the GP. After that I was reluctant to go back but knew that I had to take that step at some point, as I knew it would be very easy to delay and delay. I went back for the company, the normality, the distractions.
People need to take different lengths of time though. I only work part time. Do your new employers know your circumstances right now?

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 10:10:23 PM »
I had five weeks compassionate leave followed by a couple of months sick leave. I dreaded going back to work and put it off as long as I could. I was wrong to do that. I spent the time off feeling thoroughly miserable.

When I did go back I realised that work was the only 'normal' I had left. I was away from the house and all the associated memories and was able to distract myself for a large portion of the day. I wish I'd gone back much earlier.

Offline Didi63

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »
Thanks Julie and Hubby.
Yes I told my new employer that dad was end of life that morning, however, he passed away that evening.
I am awaiting for my provisional licence, then ring the employer to let them know it has arrived.
Hoping to start my training/employment in February sometime.
Just had a letter from ESA wanting the next sick note, which I've rang the doctors for, have an appointment for Tuesday next week as my 2 weeks sick note runs out then. But ESA want next one on the Wednesday and I'm not sure it will get there in time!
Am trying to get in touch with ESA by phone today. They don't know I've lost dad yet.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 12:10:42 AM »
I hope you managed to sort something out with the ESA. They can be pretty inflexible though.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 09:08:35 AM »
I was off for 3 weeks after losing my dad suddenly,  then I returned to work on a phased return, doing 3 days a week for about 3 weeks which helped with organising/sorting things.  It was hard to go back but i echo what hubby said the routine and normality of work helps.  There were some days it was hard and sometimes I'd break down in tears but when I considered it overall it helped being back at work  xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Didi63

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 09:42:02 PM »
Thanks Hubby, yes it's a nightmare regarding ESA. I just want to start my new job ASAP really. I really don't like any benefits of any kind. Just want to be independent.
Thanks Emz, yes I think I shall feel much better once started new job.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 06:46:22 PM »
Do ESA have fax or e mail,could you photograph the certificate and send it that way then post the original.Alternatively get next day delivery and keep the proof,will cost more but still might be better than them stopping it and all the rigmarole that might create. :hug: just what you don't need right now.

Offline Didi63

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:11:39 PM »
Thanks Karena. Been to job centre today to ask them and they told me to take sick note into them so that they can scan and send it. That's a worry off my mind.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 06:49:13 PM »
 :hug: dealing with one worry at a time and taking everyday at a time is I found the only way to get through those early days.