Author Topic: I'm feeling feelings now. And they suck.  (Read 3531 times)

Offline JML

• New Members
I'm feeling feelings now. And they suck.
« on: January 16, 2017, 01:12:11 AM »
Having a hard time. I need a safe space to vent anonymously, where i can be vulnerable. Found this website, looks legit. It's time for me to speak, so...
Here's my story:

Mom died on December 18th, 2017. I was with her the night of the 17th, when she was in the throes of death. It haunts me every day.
She was at home, under the care of myself and my two brothers. Our sister had taken care of her for months, but had to go home for a break. A well earned break. Little did we know that mom's battle would end very soon after she left.

Her condition had deteriorated very rapidly in the two weeks leading up to it. She'd been fighting metastatic breast cancer for years, and in March of 2016 it turned up in her brain very suddenly and very ruthlessly. Surgery to remove the tumor did not go well, and we struggled through months of rehabilitation, follow up surgeries, and finally when we got the OK to re-start oncology treatment, it was too late, It was back in her brain and that's the end of the line. That was July 2016.

It was a heartbreaking journey. Starting on March 2nd 2016, it only took 48 hours & she went from being my mother, to a brain damaged, helpless person. She had been fiercely independent in life up to that point. My father had left her 20 years earlier, and she was hell bent on surviving and thriving by herself. This made her new condition incredibly hard to observe. Unable to walk, feed herself, use the toilet, speak more than a few words at a time, and blind in one eye. She was in there, it's just the part of her brain which expressed her thoughts to the outside had been severely damaged.

Fast forward to December 17th, the night that keeps haunting me. She was emaciated, because she hadn't had much of an appetite for a couple weeks. According to my sister, it had been days since she had agreed to be taken out of bed to sit by the window. Her symptoms were exactly what we'd read about in the brochures. Labored breathing, mottling on the skin, and very unresponsive.

It really sunk in when my brother and I had to change her diaper the last time. Our sister had done most of that, and done a great job. We would occasionally give her reprieve but mostly the hired help was her backup. (We were quite clumsy at it, and had jobs and families that kept us from seeing mom more than once or twice a week).  Despite trying to be gentle, it's tricky changing a diaper on a grown person. Just the act of rolling her on her side, caused her to let out a moan that's still replaying itself in my head every day. Sometimes multiple times a day. Which is what my problem is.

Here's where I'm struggling:
Everyone's tied to their parents (mom especially) by something very visceral. It's like a safety line made out of the very fabric of the universe. When they die, it's like a chunk of the universe itself gets cut away.
No matter whether you have time to see it coming like I did, or if it's sudden, it's still a shock to the system.

Images from those final months of her life keep jumping into my head during the day. Each one is like a punch in the gut. I am struggling to remain composed when it happens, and it's not getting easier. They don't happen during convenient moments. It's hardest during meetings at work, when I have to focus and keep my shit together. Also happens a lot when I'm driving, because it's easy for the mind to wander while you drive. And I don't know why, but it also tends to occur a lot when I'm eating meals, with my wife and kids.

Not really sure what it looks like to the outside observer when I'm having one of these episodes. I imagine it looks like I'm just having a momentary lapse in concentration, but nope. I'm experiencing & subsequently suppressing an emotional collapse of cosmic magnitude.

A cursory look at other posts on this website leads me to see that I'll still be struggling years down the road. I'm open to what anyone else suggests for coping mechanisms.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: I'm feeling feelings now. And they suck.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 08:14:12 PM »
It is very early days for you and your brain is trying to make sense of what happened.No text book or leaflet can really warn you about the reality of a situation like that and so you are put in a state of shock just as if it was unexpected.The chances are that moan was a reaction to the movement of turning rather than pain or objection.
Perhaps this occurs more at mealtimes because that is typically family time and these awful pictures are replacing your family time as a kid .
It doesn't matter what people think,Others here will tell you they have had massive melt downs in public spaces,more concerning is when you're driving.One coping method I adopted in the same situation was to imagine those images are on a flash card then start creating new cards filled with better images.You knew her all your life there are many more images of her life before she became so I'll to put on those other cards.Then practice replacing that horrible one with the good ones.Fix them in your head and mentally throw away the bad card and show yourself a good one.
If the situation continues you could ask your GP to refer you for grief counselling or ring CRUISE.There may be a delay getting it but meanwhile keep coming here and keep writing,sometimes just the act of doing that helps in itself,and although replys may not be instant someone will be here for you.

Offline JML

• New Members
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 08:17:55 PM »
Thank you Karena. I'll give the flash card tuck a try. Might go see a therapist if I can get some time off work.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 08:34:37 PM »
Perhaps talk to work about that a reasonable employer will see its a better option than potentially weeks off sick or worse an accident.I know its difficult and they're not always approachable,only you know how they're likely to react..

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 09:06:35 PM »
My heart goes out to you.  Well done for getting it down in writing.  I remember writing my post about what happened to my husband and it's not an easy thing to do.  Over the years I have found putting my feelings down in writing has helped.   Can't remember how I managed to stop my flash backs of my husband collapsed, I just think that in time they became less and less.   It's over 6 years for me now.  Grief is such a difficult thing for our brains to deal with and is very much a roller coaster ride of emotions.   Keep talking to us JML, we are here to listen.  Tell us about your lovely memories of your Mum.  Sending hugs, take care, Penny x

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 10:12:44 PM »
It's heartbreaking reading your story and knowing how raw everything will be for you in these early stages. I also had (have) difficulty holding back grief when driving. It's like the driving is a background task freeing up my brain to wander through dark thoughts at will. I have often had to pull over when it got too much. It can happen any time you don't fully focus on what you are doing so aren't distracted.

Guilty feelings seem to be a completely normal part of grieving. It's only normal to look back at things we might have done better or not done that may have made a difference. You are focussing on something you may have done wrong while you changed your mother. No doubt your sister will be blaming herself for going away. Fact is you did the best that you could.

I know it may seem impossible right now but, at the risk of sounding like my counsellor, you will have a vast amount of happy memories of your mother over the years.  Try to focus on those rather than torturing yourself with things you have no control over or cannot change.

It does get easier to cope.

Offline JML

• New Members
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:32:53 AM »
Thanks guys. It is appreciated.

Ok, happy memories. Picking one off the top of my head, when she bought her last car.  It was in 2009, and I played the role of car broker.  I looked all around and found a used 2005 Toyota sedan. Leather heated seats, power windows, the works.  Her previous car had been a volkswagon station wagon, with a radio that hadn't worked in years and AC that was beyond repair. She was genuinely happy with the car and I felt proud to have been the one who found it for her.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 07:32:40 PM »
I,m sure she must have loved it.I,m clinging on to my old campervan because of the happy memories of trips with my husband.It has a tape deck.and the radio doesn't work but considering the rust and the welding required every year to get through MOT that's the least of its problems.Eventually of course I will have to part with it but I,m completely lost as to what with so having someone to be a broker and pick the right thing must have been lovely for her.

Offline JML

• New Members
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 07:44:19 PM »
Campervan sounds boss.

Relatedly, that car is serving to help me out quite a bit. Segue to a good story....

On January 1st, at 2:30 in the morning, I was awoken by a loud crash. I live on a busy road, so I thought someone might have hit a deer or some such thing. Then I heard yelling on my front lawn. I rushed out of bed and onto my porch, and see a smashed up car sitting 2 feet off my porch with three very upset people getting out, in a panic about what had just happened. They'd hit an icy patch on the road, slid across my neighbors lawn, and plowed into BOTH of the cars in my driveway.

I had planned on giving my mom's car away to charity, but it appears the universe wanted me to have it. Message received, universe.

The lady who was driving was a 47 year old, and her boyfriend and 14 year old son were her passengers. She was the only one harmed, with a dislocated hip. Both my cars and hers were completely totaled. She would have gone right into my living room had we parked the cars any differently.

Silver linings.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
Sometimes I think it seems that way.My hubby was a mechanic and loved the van with a passion.His daft camping hat goes everywhere it lives in the van . A few times I have thought divine intervention happened.
last time I went camping it was to a meet of other same type owners and friends of both of us..When I arrived as soon as I got onto the field someone ran towards me holding his hand up saying stop.A bump in the grass had half ripped off the air intake.So there I am in a field of friendly campervan experts.They pulled the thing fully off and discovered the cross member underneath that the radiator sits on had rusted through so the radiator had shifted too.Several cable ties later I was able to enjoy the weekend then limp home with loits of stops. I dread to think what would have happened if that hadn't been spotted and the radiator dropped out on any other journey.But at that moment on that field with those people the warning couldn't have been timed any better.