Author Topic: The trauma of watching your loved one die.  (Read 7594 times)

Offline dizzylizzy

The trauma of watching your loved one die.
« on: November 12, 2016, 07:54:49 PM »
I'm sorry if this post is upsetting or bring up sad memories but I am just wondering how everyone else copes. I can't actually write about it in detail tonight but my mum died after a few days on life support. I was there when the doctors took the decision to intubate her and after the tube was removed. It was several hours later when she died and we were there when she passed. When the end came it was actually very peaceful. This gives me great comfort but the experience has thing has left me traumatised. How do you get over it. Is it just time? Should I push it away or relive it? I don't think about it during the day but it haunts me in my dreams. Wakes me from my sleep. Will it fade? or do I just need to learn how to live with it. Does everyone feel like this? I'm trying to think of the happy times but it's when sleeping it gets me... :love:

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
Re: The trauma of watching your loved one die.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 08:29:58 PM »
 I can assure you many of us have experienced those feelings you are having right now....just let them come out,  eventually it will become more bearable.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 11:45:53 AM by Brian71 »

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 08:39:07 PM »
I wish I had an answer.  I saw my husband collasped on the kitchen floor, and it haunted me for I'm not sure how long.  But it doesn't haunt me as much, it does come back towards the anniversary of losing him, which is coming up next month.  I think you just learn to accept it as time goes go.  It will lessen and you will get a day here and there and then a few days where you don't relive it all.  Talking about it is all we can do to try and get it out of our heads all the time.   Sending hugs x

Offline Suey

• New Members
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »
Hi Lizzy, so sorry for your loss , can I ask when your Mum died? It sounds like you're having a difficult time, talking about it here will help. Your dreams are your brains way of processing what it doesn't deal with throughout the day, that's what I believe any way. Watching someone die is a traumatic experience, no matter how peaceful the death, someone is gone, before your eyes.
I'm on this forum because my husband died, 5 weeks ago, he died in my arms after battling with cancer, although he was in a lot of pain it was a 'good' death compared to losing him in a car crash or suddenly with no previous illness. Even so almost every night he dies again, some nights he drowns, some nights he burns, some nights he is lost and I know he is dead and I can't find him, and I wake up with a start, feel relief when I realise it was just a dream and then the realisation that although the dream is over he is still gone, and I am alone in our bed hits me and that's sleep done for the night.
My beautiful Mum died back in 2002, I was with her when she died, and for a long time afterwards my dreams were difficult and disturbed. But in my experience they do fade, they soften and eventually they happen less and less often. Its so important to allow yourself to think and talk about the death too. I find now that if I have had a good cry during the day then I sleep a bit better. You cannot control your dreams, you cannot control grief although it is so tempting to try, don't force anything away, or try and make yourself think or feel anything, just go with how you are, if thoughts pop into your head, think them, feel them and then move on. Grief is the price we pay for the love we had and have lost and your dreams are part of that grief, it will get easier to live with, soften, become less raw, you don't need to 'learn' to live with it, you're doing that already, and you will be ok. xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 09:56:02 PM »
It will fade as others have said but there is something you could try.If you imagine a set of flashcards like the ones kids have for learning words but imagine each card is a memory.One card holds the memory's that disturb you,watching your mum die.The others hold good memory's of her life,funny things she said or did,things she loved to do Sayings she repeated,and her love for you.You have the bad card and at the moment its at the top of the pile,so you have to fill the others up and keep them close so when you wake up and that card is the one you see.mentally pick up the others and go through them. Eventually they will become the strongest ones and the bad one will stay at the bottom of the heap.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2016, 10:34:53 PM »
It is coming up to eight months since Margaret died. Like you I was there after the tube was removed I did not want to be there but felt if was something I had to do. The memory of those final minutes is something I suppress.  I don't think about it.

It's not that I can't remember what happened. I can recall it only too vividly and have done in counselling sessions but every time I recall it it is like being there again and is extremely distressing. There is no sign of recalling it getting any easier and I don't think it ever will be.

My counsellor says it's not important to dwell on bad memories and torturing myself by going through the fine detail is pretty pointless and she is right. It is something that I shouldn't think about.

Offline dizzylizzy

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 05:08:28 AM »
Yes that is the conclusion I'm coming to. I think I will just try to surprise it. It's just too distressing and not how my mum would want to be remembered. It was February my mum dird so nearly 8 months for me too. Still feels like it's just happened. I'm hoping my subconscious gets a handle on it too. Thanks everyone x

Offline dizzylizzy

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 05:09:24 AM »
Yes that is the conclusion I'm coming to. I think I will just try to surpress it. It's just too distressing and not how my mum would want to be remembered. It was February my mum dird so nearly 8 months for me too. Still feels like it's just happened. I'm hoping my subconscious gets a handle on it too. Thanks everyone x

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 02:58:11 PM »
I watched my hubby fade away over a period of two years. I had been there on the day he died but had just left to go home and sort some things out as I knew he wouldn't last the night. I had just got in home when we received the call to say he had gone, so I wasn't actually there when he passed. I wish I had been. I can however see his struggle to breathe properly in those last hours but I try and push that to the back of my mind cos it was horrible. I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid.  :hug: but I was grateful that his battle was over.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 11:07:46 PM »
Julie. I was listening to a show on radio four about people's experiences of their loved ones final moments on Wednesday. I didn't get to listen to all of it as I got too upset but I remember someone saying it was quite common for people to pass away when their family had left their bedside either to go home or to get some fresh air or something. It seems to me as if they want to spare them the trauma of being here when they passed on. A final act of love perhaps?

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 10:11:31 AM »
Aw thank you for that Hubby- I hope you're right X