Author Topic: Not sure how I should be feeling  (Read 3096 times)

Offline JustMe

Not sure how I should be feeling
« on: November 08, 2016, 12:11:46 AM »
Hello everyone. This is my first post and I just want to know whether what I am feeling is normal.  I lost my mum last week and despite a few tears at the time I was informed, I am just not reacting the way I thought I would have done.  When my father died, I fell to pieces.  I have always been close to my mother, more so since my dad died, so I am shocked/disgusted as to why I am not feeling anything, pretty much.

My mum had a long, protracted illness (COPD) and I was with her as much as possible.  I have also been battling serious health issues of my own and we jokingly called each other 'mothers in arms'.  We would text/call each other frequently as my visits were sporadic at best, and we offered each other moral support whenever possible.  In the last week of her life (spent in hospital), I was with her a lot.  Unfortunately, a close family member decided to cause some trouble with reference to inheritence which has left a rather sour taste in my mouth.  Fortunately, mum was unaware of what was occuring but the whole nasty debacle has really upset me which could be why I just cannot grieve normally (i.e. cry, feel a sense of loss etc). 

I have been busy with the funeral arrangements which will be happening this week, whilst also trying to distance myself from this family member; perhaps anger is my overriding emotion at the moment?  I've also noticed that I cannot easily articulate my thoughts onto paper.

I accept there is 'no normal', but is it possible that feeling moreorless no sadness or tears is normal?  Even talking to the priest today and writing her eulogy, I appear to have some kind of detachment.  I'm sorry if I am not providing much information to go on; just a little worried how 'open' this forum is.

Your help/advice would be really appreciated.  Thank you x

Offline Jules-pick

• New Members
Re: Not sure how I should be feeling
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 01:19:26 PM »
Hello Justme and welcome, I'm new too!

I lost my Mum in April and my partner in August and I was the same as you, in fact when I was talking to people it was like I was talking about someone else that all this was happening to!  I think others would agree with me that there is no normal.  I felt like I was being carried along on a wave when there was so much to organise and take care of!  Then a few months down the line when the offers of help, phone calls and messages ease off and people start to go back to their own lives it hit me hard!  That's not to say that that will happen to you as everyone is different but it's worth being aware of!  As for inheritances that brings out a whole different animal where money is concerned!  Don't be too hard on yourself anger is a normal reaction!

I hope this forum will help you it has me..take care x

Offline JustMe

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 01:56:51 PM »
Thank you Jules-Pick, I think you hit the nail on the head.  I am so very sorry for your loss though; I really hope you are getting lots of support :(

I do feel a little bit reassured now; everything is on autopilot.  I will see how things go at the funeral... I'm sure I look 'cold' and 'indifferent' at the moment to outsiders.  Even my hubby is concerned I'm not expressing any real emotion.  :S

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:19:55 PM »
Yes this sounds so normal to me- at this stage in your loss your body puts itself on autopilot. I found I was so wrapped up in organising things and trying to work out finances which seemed to be on my mind all the time, and at the time I felt like that was stopping me grieving properly. I think you are travelling through a normal phase at the moment. Hopefully you will be able to grieve properly once these things start to settle down, as Jules says.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 06:40:18 PM »
It's a rollercoaster coaster journey, with many different phases, which don't come in a predetermined order, may visit some of them more than once or not atall.  We have very similar experiences on our individual journeys. I certainly found it reassuring to know I felt things similar to others, at one point I felt like I was going crazy!

I think some dissociation is normal, perhaps could even describe it as a protection/defence mechanism.  Sending a hug  :hug: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 08:10:16 PM »
Hi just me. Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

It sounds pretty normal to me. I was numb for weeks following the loss of my wife. My mind just wouldn't take it in. There were a few little weeps but mainly I was in a daze. I think our heads do this to give us chance of getting through the things that have to be done before flooring us with full grief.

Wishing you strength

:hug:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 10:23:12 PM »
Yes I think what you are experiencing is normal if anything about grief is normal,because we are all different.what many people find is they get busy,arrange the funeral start sorting stuff out and concentrate totally on that.to give it a technical name its called displacement activity,how long it goes on for varies between people.Even your anger comes under this heading ,it gives us something to focus  on  rather than the loss.

Its 12 years since and not the reason I came here but
when I lost my mum I was a bit the same.I knew she was dying so perhaps also felt I had less right to grieve than if it was a shock which I now know is not the case.I think the next person to say it was a blessing too me might have seen a very uncharacteristic side of me just before i clocked them one.Then I discovered my brother had been using her illness to cover having an affair.Its times like this when we discover things about other people that we don't like.
sadly. :hug: