Author Topic: A bit of a laugh at solicitors!  (Read 4209 times)

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
A bit of a laugh at solicitors!
« on: November 04, 2016, 06:52:09 PM »
Thought you might like a little smile. I went today to finally sign my new will (second visit). She asked me about the fact that our house is in both our names because when it's my time 'He will get it". I looked at her shocked and said "Who?"- "Your husband" she said. I then explained that my husband had died, at which she looked at me reddened up and brightly said "Oh that's alright then!" When she realized what she had said the 3 of us just burst out laughing and she was mortified bless her!
On a more serious note  I asked her if I had to transfer the house into my name and she said it isn't necessary unless I particularly wanted to, so that was a huge relief. She also said it was a very simple procedure anyway, so I though I'd pass that on to anyone concerned about it. (For free!)

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: A bit of a laugh at solicitors!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 07:08:19 PM »
 :hug:glad you were able to laugh about it.You reminded me of the first time I got pregnant.My GP fresh faced newly qualified said "how did that happen" On that occasion I spared him any further embarrassment by not saying what came into my head to say which was a reference to the milkman. :rofl:

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 07:11:30 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline alan2273

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 08:11:46 PM »
Our house was also in joint names and the solicitor said as long as I keep copy  of the death certificate there is no need to alter it, but if I wanted to it was already included in the probate costs.

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »
Thanks Julie and you other lovely people, for the info,  Mine's also still registered at the Land Registry in both our names.

Writing a will, is something I definitely also need to do.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 05:10:57 PM by Brian71 »

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 04:40:23 PM »
We both had made online wills and none of the people that needed a will would accept it as it was not the 'original' will but it's the only ones we ever got- online of course! It has caused endless problems for me and ended up with Alan being declared intestate. So making a new one was high on my list of to do things so the kids didn't have the same problems.
Brian - you little devil!  :evil:

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 05:23:16 PM »
Yes... Julie that's something I'll take on board as well.  You will notice I amended the above post.
However I need to ensure it's rock solid too, as obviously there's my home, car, plus investments and savings, so not exactly a few pence, so of course it has to be done properly.   In fact I'm glad you bought it up Julie.  I'll get in touch with my solicitor and get it sorted next week while I'm able to do so....one never knows.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 12:13:42 PM by Brian71 »

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 10:00:40 PM »
Margarets houses were registered in her name so I had to have them transferred. Fortunately we had professionally drawn up mirror wills so the intentions were clear and there were only s few problems with getting some limitations on the property removed from the records at the land registry.

My will still stands as, if I were to die, my estate would be treated in the same way as it would had I died at the same time as Margaret but I may add a codicil to add my little grandson at some point.