Author Topic: Anniversaries  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Anniversaries
« on: November 02, 2016, 08:49:36 AM »
Replying to Longedge's reply but didn't want to hi-jack Rosaleens post for George so thought I'd share my thoughts on a new thread

I've always found the run up to the day worse than the day, it's kind of like we put so many expectations on the day and in our imaginations imagine what it will be like, no doubt comparing it to the worst day of losing our loved one, but when the day comes it's never quite as bad as I've imagined (to me no aniversary can be worse than the horrid day we lost them).

I found a lovely little phrase the other day, which I think in a way sums up the grief journey a bit.  Personally I think we change after losing a loved one - we lose who we were with them aswell as losing our loved one, and have to find a new 'me', (which will always carry the scar, missing our loved ones)  - the phrase I found:

May never stop mourning who you used to be, but you can learn to love the person you are becoming

For me, I took from this that we may always miss our loved ones, there will always be that longing we carry with us, but we can also learn to engage with life and learn to accept the altered 'us'.  for example, those who have fought their nerves and anxiety and have come along on a meet day, thats a massive achievement which perhaps you would never have done before.  Be proud of that and if you believe, know that your loved ones watching over will be really proud

Not sure if that makes sense, but it brought me some comfort xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Anniversaries
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 06:44:35 PM »
Very wise words Emz, i know im a different person, ive had to be to enable me to cope. And youre right about the run up to anniversaries, it is far worse than the actual day, xxx

:hug:
 :hearts:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 07:25:15 PM »
The anticipation has also been worse for me than the actual days.

While the lead up to an anniversary or milestone serves as a reminder of what we have lost the actual day itself is just another 24 hours for us to get through.

As we say 'one day at a time'.

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 08:50:46 PM »
Hate the run up to anniversaries, it is always worse than the day itself.  I know I've changed since losing Paul.  Not sure who I am anymore, certainly a more grumpy person than I used to be.  xxx