Author Topic: Losing my son to drugs overdose.  (Read 3498 times)

Offline Nicki

Losing my son to drugs overdose.
« on: October 31, 2016, 09:11:22 AM »
Hi all
I am new to this site. I lost my son to a drugs overdose on the 21st October 2016. He was 19 years old. He has been fighting addiction for the last 3 years. As his mum I was lucky enough to have been able to support him as best I could during that time. But you need so much courage & strength to pull away from that lifestyle even with help & support from his family. It just wasn't to be for Chris.
He had been clean for the last 2 months & has been to a rehab centre far away but due to circumstances he came back down to his family. He had been living with my mum & dad for the last 5 weeks & was so happy in himself & still clean. For whatever reason we may never know which is the hard part. He went back down to the place where he had been during his addiction & reconnected with that part of his life. I know I'm past experience dealing with this that addicts when they cannot deal with emotion they turn to drugs. Someone he knew had overdosed 2 week before & that persons funeral was the same day my son died. I miss him so much & wish I knew the answers as to why he went back when he was doing so well. I do look back on good memories I have but it doesn't make it any easier to live with. I know it's very early days. And they do say time is a great healer.
Thank you. Nicki.

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
Re: Losing my son to drugs overdose.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 11:59:50 AM »
Hello Nicki- so sorry to read your heart breaking post. I hope we can all help and support you as we have all lost that certain someone X

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:20:53 PM »
Hello Nicki,  I'm so sorry to read about the tragic loss of your son.
My thoughts are with you Nicki.  :hug:

You take care..... Best wishes..... Brian
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 09:53:50 PM by Brian71 »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:09:19 PM »
Sending a welcome hug Nicki  :hug: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 09:13:44 PM »
Hi Nicki and welcome.  Such a heartbreaking post.  I send you my sincere condolences and lots of hugs.  Keep talking to us.  Take care.  Penny x

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 09:22:37 PM »
Hi Nicki. Welcome to the forum.

I am so sorry to hear of the recent loss of your son.

:hug:

Offline Nicki

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 10:38:57 PM »
Thanks guys. I have heard today that they are finally releasing his body. So we can start the long road to recovery. Hopefully after the funeral which is over a week away then a certain amount of closure will be felt. We may never know what really happened but living with someone with addiction it is extremely hard for them to have a normal life with normal friends. Addiction definitely pushes away people u care about. That's what is so sad as my son only said to me a couple of weeks before his death how lonely he was that none of his old friends bothered with him anymore. I told him it was because of what he was getting involved in. I am just thankful we reconnected as a family before he died.
Nicki. Xx

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 11:50:30 PM »
Reading your posts I find it truly tragic that your son was trying so hard to stay clean and yet a single slip led to him losing his life. I cannot even begin to understand how strong the pull of drug addiction is. It must have been so difficult for you to watch him being drawn into the drug culture over the years.

I wish you the strength to cope over the coming weeks and months

:hug:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 12:14:59 AM »
My heartfelt sympathy Nicki - it's such a tragic situation and so often repeated  :hug:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline mike59

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:24:19 AM »
sorry to hear of your situation Nicki, Welcome to a very friendly helpful Forum.

:hug: .....Mike x