Author Topic: Hi  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Smi1973

Hi
« on: October 15, 2016, 12:58:45 AM »
Hi All

I lost my Dad in April and i really miss him. He was the most amazing man and i still can't believe he's gone.
Mum is really struggling too, more than me as she was never involved in the financial side of life, dad did it all for her.  I'm trying to be a support for her but i don't feel supported myself.   I love my Mum dearly but she can be hard work, very over dramatic...  I hate myself for saying that but its true.

I do know that I need support myself and I'm hoping what i learn I can use to help mum too.

Sharon

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 09:01:53 AM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug: 
It is hard trying to support someone else while grieving.  You need to try and ensure you have time to yourself when you can be gentle with yourself (just 'be', watch a film, something for you) hope it helps chatting here, it certainly helped me  xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 02:45:11 PM »
Hello- it is very difficult when you are trying to grieve yet you have another person to support as well. I found that for many of my losses over the years. I hope you will find the comfort I've found on here too.

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 04:04:09 PM »
Hi and welcome. So sorry for your loss.   Grief is a roller coaster ride.  Please just take one day at a time.  Just keep doing what you can for your mum.  Just give her a hug.  Words not always needed, a hug can say it all.  Keep talking to us and tell us about your Dad.  Take care, Penny x

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 06:38:29 PM »
so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Dad Sharon,  April was when my wife passed away too.   Your Mum sounds a little like my wife Ann,  she was hopeless with financial matters...lol.. I dealt with everything right through our 49yrs.   As I've had 4 heart attacks over the years it was always assumed I'd go first,  so I had put everything in place to cover that possibility,  though I was a little worried she would give a lot of money away as she was very generous, indeed I had to clear her overdraft several times during our marriage.   She could never understand the concept that your totally broke when your down to your last 1 or £2k and should stop spending...lol.. or in her case giving it to the grandchildren etc,  so that was always a worry for me, and I fear she would need frequent financial advice from my daughter or 2 sons.  However things don't always turn out the way we expect.

I remember how upset I was when I lost my own Dad,  all one can do is be as supportive as possible to your Mum,  you can do no more except be there for her, as she may be suffering more than you realise.   It's never easy when we lose someone close to us, all you can do is take it a day at a time and eventually it will get easier,  all of us on here are going through the same thing, and we know only too well how difficult some days can be.    If it were not for the fantastic support from my daughter Jo (who was very close to her mum) I doubt I would be here today,  in effect we have been supporting each other, and that's what you and your Mum should do....it won't be easy, but with time, you will work your way through this terrible time.

Wishing you much strength, and a hug from me to you and your Mum :hug:

Best wishes....Brian
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 06:46:17 PM by Brian71 »

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »
Hi Sharon. Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure your mother really appreciates your help as I appreciate the help my daughters have given me since I lost my wife in March. Unfortunately I know I am not much help to them as it takes all my energy to try to hide how I am feeling from them. I hope that I will be able to offer more support as time passes.

We all need support and somewhere to unload. I find posting on hear helps me clear my head and, when I need someone to talk to, the Samaritans provide a listening ear without judgement. I also have counselling sessions weekly.

Of course these things aren't for everyone but you may find they help you.

Wishing you strength

:hug: