Author Topic: Hello, coping with the loss of my mum & upcoming birthday x  (Read 3538 times)

Offline KayHN

Hello, coping with the loss of my mum & upcoming birthday x
« on: August 23, 2016, 09:12:09 AM »
Hello everyone,
We lost my mum at the end of February, it was very quick and completely unexpected and within 48 hours she was gone, it would have been her 55th birthday this coming Saturday and it's all I've been able to think of!

She was my best friend and an amazing help with my little boy, I hate that I feel jealous when i see other daughters with their mum's, when really i wouldn't want their mum anyway I just want mine! I also thought that I wouldn't let the little problems in life get to me because surely one of the worse things to happen has happened, but I actually find the smallest thing gets to me...

My parents has been together since they were 18, so we moved back in with my dad for the 1st couple of months and I've been trying to stay strong since it happened, some days are harder than others....not sure what else to say at this point, thanks for listening xx

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Hello, coping with the loss of my mum & upcoming birthday x
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 12:15:47 PM »
Sending you a welcome   :hug: Kayhn

How you have decribed how youre feeling is quite normal at your early stage of the journey, youre right of course the worst thing that could happen alreadt has, but your head is so full of your loss, little things do get to you because you arent able to rationalise anything yet, it will get easier to cope but dont be hard on yourself take small steps, xx
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline KayHN

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 01:15:36 PM »
Thank you Norma xx I hate that i'm more snappy with my little boy, I put on such a smile at work and seem to be at my worse at home,  i'm just so exhausted all the time... hopefully my old self will slowly return!
 have a good day x

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 01:57:09 PM »
Hello Kayhn, sorry to hear you've lost your Mum.  :hearts:
As Norma says your feelings are 'normal' at this stage and the 'little' things in life seem to become huge obstacles. You will experience loads of weird emotions that don't seem to make any sense until you join somewhere like here and then you see that others are going through exactly the same things. Hope you keep on posting and we can help you through the times you need some support.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 07:36:26 PM »
Sending you a hug.  :hug:  grief is a rollercoaster and often throws unexpected emotions at us. I remember the feelings when seeing others with their dads - really highlighted the loss

Be gentle with yourself, take one day at a time xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 11:52:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum KayHN. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother at such a young age.

I lost my wife aged 57. My daughters have been my rock, staying strong when I was in pieces and sometimes it is easy for me to forget that they are grieving for their mother. Posts like yours remind me that I should make more of an effort to support them. I am sure your father really appreciates the way you helped him.

I think work is easier than home because when we are in work we can settle into the routine and fool ourselves into thinking everything is 'normal'. When we are at home we no longer have the ability to fool ourselves. We know only too well that a large part of our lives is missing.

There will be hard days and easier days for a long time but, hopefully, as the months go by the easier days will become the majority.

Stay strong

:hug:

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 01:28:42 AM »
 Hello kayHN, so sorry to hear about the loss of your Mum,

As Hubby stated, sometimes us fathers because of our own grief, we tend to overlook to some extent the effect the loss of a Mum has on our own children,  my daughter now 40 herself was very close indeed to her Mum, as although my daughter lives down in Cornwall some 235 mile away, they always spoke on the phone virtually every evening.   One can talk upto an hour for free on the phone, and they both made full use of that...lol.  I suppose since her Mum passed away,  I've sort of taken over that role, and she has been of great support,  I like to think we have given each other support, we have certainly become much closer and now we too speak every evening without fail.  She was severely affected by the loss far more than my two sons, who rarely speak about their Mum, and indeed it's rare they phone, their grieving finished at her funeral, we can go weeks without speaking, partly because they lead busy lives with the business, and are out of the country quite a lot.

I think daughters do tend to be closer to their Mums,  IOW like a best friend,  I was the same with my dad before he passed away years ago, in fact my wife and I took them on holiday with us for two weeks every year for more than 40yrs, dad was my best mate.   He always regarded my wife Ann as the daughter he never had but always wanted, and because she never knew her parents as she was in foster homes from the age of 2yrs he was the father she never had.  However,  coping mentally when they are gone is never easy, particularly so when it's your Mom, Wife or Husband, my world came to an end when I lost my wife,  there are many here who have gone through and are still feeling that same feeling of loss,  grief is something that rarely gets discussed or generally mentioned very much.
Throughout our lives most of us attend relatives funerals or friends funeral, and of course it's a sad time,  but it does not have the same impact on us like losing someone extremely close to you personally.  I can think of nothing worse than losing a wife or husband or as in your case a Mum, and yet it's happening all the time, we read about people losing their lives daily in newspapers etc. and then suddenly one day it happens to you and then for the first time you discover what grief really is, as many people simply don't understand unless it's happened to them.

Here KayHN we do know how you are feeling, because we feel the same, and I truly hope you get some comfort knowing you are not alone, sometimes it helps to let it out and talk about how you feel, we have all done it here and it does help.  We take it a day at a time, a common phrase used a lot on here because that's the best we can hope for, but has time passes, hopefully we learn how to handle the grief we feel.
I'm told this is normal behaviour and I've accepted that and in time you will too, and given time we will all manage to get through days without breaking down in tears all the time,  but crying because you miss a loved one is completely normal we have all done it and still do often, it's our release valve.
I hope you keep posting KayHN..you will find it will help.

Please accept this big hug, we all need a hug from time to time... :hug:

Best wishes....Brian
.............................and remember...........a day at a time..........it will get easier.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:10:03 PM by Brian71 »