Author Topic: Lost my dad unexpectedly.  (Read 2319 times)

Offline LoubyLou

Lost my dad unexpectedly.
« on: July 31, 2016, 12:05:53 AM »
Hi all,

On the 4th May 2015, my mum phoned me in a panic. She told me there was something wrong with my dad. He wasn't my dad by blood, he was my dad by heart. We lived on the same road. I fled down there with my ex partner and my eldest son (my mum had been up to mine to fetch my youngest and she'd taken him down to hers just before this). We found my dad dead on the floor face down. My mum hadn't rang for an ambulance. I did as soon I saw him. My ex and I had to resuscitate him. I froze. I couldn't do the mouth to mouth. My ex had to. I still can't believe it.

The ex I was with abused me. He abused me in all ways except sexual. He did something to my discs. I thought the pain had just come on, on it's own prior to this and now I realise it was because of him grabbing me and hurting me. He put my back out. The day after, I ended the relationship. I don't know how I managed to be with such a terrible man. He was a drug dealer and I didn't know. He was an alcoholic and drank every night. How did I manage to be with such an evil man? Anyway, the police believed his web of lies. I'm nearly 7 weeks post op spinal surgery due to what he did to me. In between all of this, I worked for a company who were committing fraud (they still owe me £3.5K in wages), I was misdiagnosed in December 2015, accepted a job to start in January and the pain became severe in February and I lost my job in April. The company made out it was my performance. It wasn't performance related. The company discriminated against me becoming disabled. It's still in the hands of Unison. I nearly lost my house and car due to losing my job. My mum, children and I sold our houses and moved in together. I thought it would work. My mum was fine at my house but then as soon as she brought the house we live in now, she changed dramatically.
My mum has looked after us all since February/March due to the severe pain I was in. I'm eternally thankful for what she's done, but it's come at a price. She has made out to my family and my friends that I am mentally ill, due to the strong pain meds I've been on, my aunt has blocked me on Facebook, when I've not even done anything wrong. All because my boys were misbehaving. I didn't know what they were doing.
Basically, they don't live with us. They don't see how she is at home. She treats me like she hates me. She has turned people against me. My name was meant to be put on half of the property when I gave her half of what was left when I sold my house. So she has £10K from me near enough (I did owe her £4K when I wasn't paid my wages by the fraudulent company) but she's threatened to sell the house and keep my money I halved with her.
I'm completely stuck. I have no house of my own, no job, haven't got enough to survive on. Basically, it's like she hates me. She's convinced so many people that it's me who is ill, all because I was put on nerve pain meds, which are actually antidepressants. She won't go on them herself. Her doctor doesn't think she needs them and yet she's said to my doctor, when I just wanted her support, that she thinks I'm becoming mentally ill! I'm reacting to how she is treating me and then she starts messaging my aunt on Facebook and phoning my grandma stating what such a bad person I am. I'm not going to sit back and let her lay into my children and I, am I?! She is drinking too. Why has she become so horrible? I'm beginning to hate her. We used to be so close. I have no one around here now. I have the flashbacks of my dad on the floor and of my ex abusing me.

I love my mum to bits. My children and my mum are my world but the more she is badmouthing me, the more I am beginning to hate her.
If my children and I are to move, I'd move away from area completely or even move to Australia - as planned before I knew what was wrong with my back.

I'm sorry it's a long introduction post. I did try and copy it but it wouldn't let me.

I worship my mum. I feel she is zapping all the positivity out of me. She is always moaning about my children and I. They have before a handful but to blame it on me, when they see her behaviour is shocking. I can't do anything until I return to work. I'm going to go away next week with my children - on my own. I need time away from her. Maybe she will see how much she's takes out on me.

I cannot imagine what it is like to be with someone for such a long time and lose them unexpectly. I only know what it's like to lose my dad and it hurts, it really does hurt. I've tried talking to my mum but whenever I mention antidepressants, it's like I've mentioned something so very scary. She's addicted to Facebook, wants to meet another man asap and says she's independent, when she isn't. She relies on me to drive her places. Before I could drive again (on been since Monday) she made me feel bad for her having to walk to and from school, despite me drawing out money just before my operation. I feel I've been stupid for selling my house and for giving her half of what was left.

I am empty and feel completely alone.

Thank you for reading.

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Lost my dad unexpectedly.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:20:38 AM »
What a heartfelt first post, you have had so much to deal with since the loss of your dad and its only just over a year.  Xxx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 09:31:25 AM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug:

Grief has many different effects on people, and often causes problems in families, either increasing existing issues or introducing completely new things. (I always thought I had a close family then was shocked at my uncles behaviour after I lost my dad)

Unfortunately people often think grief is over quickly too, but the effects of it can easily cover a couple of years (and differing degrees, and when losing a partner the effects will be felt for longer I feel as you have lost someone so integral to your daily life)  so your mum's behaviour could be driven by her grief but you have your own grief and memories about your ex and also a big impact illness so neither of you are going to be in good places. (a change in our health/abilities to do something can bring a version of grief itself, as it is an imposed change in our life)  So might be bouncing off each other when both in a very sensitive unsettled place - the very time you want to just be cared for by someone

Have you considered pursuing counselling?  Can see if your GP would refer you. Depending on the type of counselling, that could help to work through how to cope with your mum and help you work out what to do for you too

Hopefully talking here may help too xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:59:46 PM »
Hi Loubylou welcome to the forum.

Grieving seems to impact every aspect of our lives, relationships especially. The entire family dynamic changes and we have difficulty identifying and adjusting to our new roles at a time when we are least able to do so.

Please remember you mother is also grieving and trying to adjust. Try to make time for yourself to grieve away from the disagreements which make it more difficult.

Wishing you strength

:hug:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 09:18:27 PM by Hubby »