Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3238 times)

Offline ali.m

« on: July 26, 2016, 09:35:53 AM »
Hi
I am new to the group that no-one wants to belong to.
My husband passed away 10 weeks ago from prostate cancer. Although he had cancer for some 10 plus years his death was not expected and came as a shock to us all.
He was 64 and and i'm 54
Live with my 24 yr old son - only child
Feeling worse now than I did when he first passed, going back to work this week and feel totally overwhelmed by this as I want to just hide away. Used to love and feel confident in my job
Feeling very lost, lonely and isolated as have no other close family , my mum has dementia and I support her and I'm an only child
Not sure I can live this new enforced life
Would love to chat with people who are going through this awful time.
Thank you for reading this
Ali

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »
Hello Ali and I'm sorry you've had to join this group. I lost my hubby Alan 11 weeks ago so am at the same stage as you and everything you say rings true for me too. Just recently gone back to work and was dreading it- the world out there feels like I'm isolated and everything is happening around me but I'm not included in it if that makes sense. I too just want to hide under the duvet so getting up for work is forcing me to get up, just one of the many little things that are so hard to do right now.
I am new to the group but it is helping me so much in realizing that whatever stage I go through is 'normal' so I hope that you too will benefit from all the understanding support here. It's lovely to be able to say the silliest things and know that everyone just understands.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 02:48:51 PM »
Hello Ali, my condolences on your loss.

I have to agree with everything Julie says.

You'll get through the initial stages one way or another, horrible gut-wrenching times I know but we find the strength from somewhere and eventually you'll find that you have the odd day here and there that isn't so bad.

I hope that you get good support at work, if possible I would suggest a private chat with your line manager before you start back perhaps to arrange a phased return. I think it's important not to plunge in at the deep end and get overwhelmed.

It's a bewildering time, at least it was for me, when you experience feelings,thoughts and emotions that take you by surprise. If you can, talk things over from time to time with your son and let him know how you're feeling. Explain to him that nothing he can say or do will make things better but at least you still have one another. All too often this is a time when there are fallings out and that should never happen for the want of a bit of honesty. Oh no - am I preaching - if so forgive me, it's well meant  :heart:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 03:29:02 PM »
Really sorry to read about your loss Ali, but you have come to a safe place where you can vent your true feelings, because its likely we have all been through the same emotions  hun  xx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 09:30:07 PM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:28:43 PM »
Hi Ali. Welcome to the forum.

Things do seem to get worse over the early period of bereavement. At first we are numb, almost in shock, and unable to fully take in what has happened. Friends rally round and there are a million things to sort out that keep us occupied. As time moves on friends stop calling and the urgent jobs are all done and that is when we start to think more deeply about our loss, ask all the unanswerable questions and experience the whirlwind of emotions grief throws at us.

It can feel like we are losing our minds but it does slowly get easier.

Wishing you strength.

:hug: