Author Topic: Lost without Mum  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Gonebiking18

• New Members
Lost without Mum
« on: July 13, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
I've been the full time carer for my Mother the past three years or so, she sadly passed away on 21st June and yesterday was her funeral, it was a really lovely send off and one she well deserved, the Funeral Director and Celebrant were absolutely fantastic and made the whole thing run very smoothly, lots of family and friends attended (she must have been a very popular lady), afterwards we had drinks, food and a good chat about happier times at a local social club.
Over the past three weeks I have been busy sorting out the finances and funeral etc., now it is all over I am now beginning to think of the loss and wandering where I go from here, my Mum was my life for the past 3+ years so I have to find myself a new life, but finding where to start, now that's the question.
My Mum had a blood test in January which proved abnormal, after a few tests and a scan she was diagnosed with a tumour on one of her Kidneys, the consultant did not know how far the cancer had progressed, and she was too old and frail to survive any of the treatments a younger person would have, so over the last few months she had gone off her food and drink and had become very frail, then on the morning of June 18th I found her collapsed on her bedroom floor, she was rushed to Hospital where they found her cancer had spread, she also had a major urinary infection, all they could do was keep her as comfortable as possible until the end, the doctors and nurses on her ward were great, they made her at ease until in the early morning of June 21st she sadly died, but she was no longer in pain or suffering, I was very devastated for the first few days, then got busy with the organising, now the days just feel empty and grieving has begun.
I feel a little better after writing this, it has helped in some way to share my thoughts in this message, it may be a slow process, but I think in time I shall try to think of the good times and attempt to ease from my mind her suffering.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
Re: Lost without Mum
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 09:50:10 PM »
Hi Gonebiking.

Im pleased your mothers funeral went well and it sounds like a lot of people will be missing her.

You say the grieving has begun and that seems to be the way grief generally goes. The numbness and organising of the first few weeks slowly gives way to the realisation of our loss. If anything it gets harder just as people stop fussing around us.

Keep focussing on your good memories and gradually things will start to get easier.

Take care.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:29:57 PM by Hubby »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 10:14:55 PM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 10:45:31 PM »
Welcome to the group gonebiking, i hope you can find some comfort xx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Joann

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 07:20:43 PM »
Hi Gonebiking, so sorry for the loss that brings you here. I too lost my Mum last October after a swift decline. I found myself in the samecsituation, busy with organising the funeral, bills, her flat etc. I also struggled with what domi do now and thats when the grief hit me. I am able to enjoy the good days and talk about my Mum with my family so hang in there, be kind to yourself and give yourself permission to grieve. Keep posting, you will find support, understanding and caring people on here.
Taking it one day at a time.

Offline Gonebiking18

• New Members
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 08:43:29 PM »
Just when you think things are getting easier as you deal with your grief something happens that knocks you straight back down again.
Yesterday I rang the telephone/broadband provider to change the account details and payments over to my name, the woman I was talking to said she needed to talk to the account holder (my departed Mum), after attempting to get across two or three times why she couldn't talk to the account holder (because she had died), I lost patience and suggested that if she wanted to talk to the former account holder that badly that she finds a good medium, hold a séance and if she does get to talk to the account holder to tell her that her son and three daughters love her and greatly miss her, then I hung up.
How insensitive some people are, and I still didn't get to change the account over to my name, so I have to call back sometime, I hope I don't get a total idiot next time, or I could write them a letter.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 10:25:56 PM »
Some firms are really insensitive when dealing with the bereaved but sometimes it is a language barrier when you get through to someone in an offshore call centre reading off a script. Any slight deviation from the script and they haven't got a clue what you are talking about. One tip I have heard to get round this is to ring the number for new accounts where you are more likely to get through to someone in a UK based call centre.

Take care

:hug: