Author Topic: Lost my Mum suddenly .. I was her carer  (Read 3469 times)

Offline fiona513

Lost my Mum suddenly .. I was her carer
« on: June 20, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »
Hi
Don't quite know where to start.

Lost my poor Mum suddenly just over a month ago. Don't know what to do financially, was living, with her, on carer's allowance.

I am going to have to sell the house to pay out my brother, which means downsizing. How do I pay the bills in the meantime? My bank said no.

Have had little help from Mum's solicitor .. I could go on forever but .. if you read this thanks

fi

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Lost my Mum suddenly .. I was her carer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 04:07:07 PM »
Im so sorry for the loss of your mum and the situation you now find yourself in, dealing with finacial problems on top  of your  grief cant be easy, i would hope your brother is helping you out, but i would think the best  place for you would be the dept for work and pensions, because surely if you  are not working, you should be entitled to some benefit. Xx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 07:59:13 PM »
Hi so sorry you lost your mum  :hug:
I assume the solicitor is handling the estate and you are talking about immediate day to day expenses.I wonder iif citizens advice can help otherwise the job centre.some utility companies will allow you to make a payment plan if you are behind or even if you are not,so at least you know how much you need to find each month.Otherwise if you get on well with your brother,maybe he could make you a loan to be paid back from your half of the estate when it is all sorted out.Sorry I can't be any more help about finance .there is an organisation called carers UK who have a forum someone there or maybe someone here may have been in the same situation and know Moore than me.In the meantime we are here for emotional support a virtual hug or a rant whenever you need.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 10:03:33 PM »
Hi Fiona. Welcome to the forum.

I am so sorry to hear of your sad loss. I can't really think of a solution to your financial situation but, as the others have said, try the citizens advice or DWP. I think your mums estate will be technically separate from you until probate is granted so you may qualify for some benefits.

Wishing you strength

:hug:

Offline Soleil

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 01:20:57 AM »
Hi Fiona,

So sorry for the loss of your mother and the financial woes you are having. I don't know anything about the legal aspect but hopefully it will sort itself out in due course and you can grieve your mother properly.  Come her for support and encouragement. There are many good people here who have grieved over the loss of a loved one.   :hug: