Author Topic: Nearly a Year Deep  (Read 4173 times)

Offline D

Nearly a Year Deep
« on: June 08, 2016, 07:43:23 PM »
The past few months have come and gone, with rarely a mention of his name, or a whisper of who he was. It came and went as if he never existed, as if he were right –that it wouldn’t matter now that he was gone. Except that it does matter. It did matter, and it always will matter.

Except that, as time slowly ticks by –he is forgotten. By everyone. I am expected, in a sense, to forget him as well. To move on. To not remember. To ignore. Because this loss? Isn’t mine. It isn’t for me. It isn’t about me.

To anyone else –he was just another boy. Another number. Statistic. He wasn’t closely related to me, therefore, the loss is not mine. While it isn’t said in those words –it is implied. Heavily. In the tones of voice and change of attitude. He was just my nephew. But as the numbness gives way to the intense pain that comes from losing someone –I am reminded, painfully, that he was more. So much more. Yet I don’t have the words to say this.

My heart skips to an irregular beat, my head spins with memories that shouldn’t belong to me. My mind, filled with should haves, could haves, would haves –is silenced. The pain I feel is not warranted.

Why would I seek out help –when I know there is none?

I am not afraid to admit that I am not strong enough to be rejected, once again. Friends have returned to their otherwise busy lives, and stopped asking –mere days after he died. It was as if there was a silent relief that filled their minds…because finally, I could stop talking about him. Finally, I could just admit that he was a lost cause. Finally, I could return to ‘normal’ –except…

He wasn’t a lost cause, and there is no normal.

He was hurting. He, among countless others –was not given the help he needed. The help that everyone says is there –but isn’t. The help that is ‘just a phone call away’ is too far. Especially when you are hurting that badly. When you can barely keep your head above the water –there is no point in making a phone call, because you just cannot handle the rejection –again. All over. Once more.

I have searched just about every avenue I can, looking for something –someone –to relate to. But instead I am met with empty doors, and silenced friends. As harsh as it sounds – I cannot bear to hear their happy news. I do not want to know how well their children are doing, or how successful their job is. I don’t want to hear how great their lives are –because it contrasts just how horrible mine is. It isn’t that I do this to be mean, or selfish –it’s just that the hole in my heart from losing ‘just my nephew’ is so large –I cannot fathom that anything good can be happening.

I don’t need people to fall over backwards, I don’t need people to say his name everyday –but a simple acknowledgment –really could do wonders.

Tell me you remember him. That he wasn’t a lost cause. That his life mattered. That he was important. Tell me that he didn’t die in vain. Tell me that you don’t know what to say. Tell me anything –just don’t ignore the gaping hole that has swallowed me alive, and expect me to acknowledge the goodness that has surrounded you.

Because I am just barely keeping my head above the water…

…and don’t know how much longer I can.

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Nearly a Year Deep
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 09:57:48 PM »
D, what a heart rendering post you have made, i do understand what youre saying and yes just a simple sorry to hear is enough, anything than ignoring, or having someone cross the street to avoid facing us. Im  sure it would help you if you were  able to tell us about the loss of your nephew, theres no judgement here D, just caring and support xxx

:hug: :hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline rajahh

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 10:12:16 PM »
Norma is right, there is no judgement here, no avoiding people's grief, we are all aware of gaping holes in our lives  which remain holes for years.

Please tell us about your nephew, help us toget to know him. We often don't know what to say as each persons pain is unique, but we all have some knowledge of rejection, and loss.

Please talk to us. Love Jeannette

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 10:46:37 PM »
Such an upsetting post to read particularly where it says "the loss is not mine". The loss most certainly is yours and so is the grief that comes with it.

I am very, very sorry to hear of your loss.

:hug:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 10:47:52 PM »
 :hug: it is not for others to judge your loss, its the connection you had thats important not the specified 'relationship'. You wont be judged here, everyone here has lost loved ones and many have experienced the silence from those around us
Your nephew's memory will live on in you xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 12:26:17 AM »
Hi d I might be wrong but did you post on the old forum about your nephew.If it was you  I havnt forgotten your pain and how much you tried to help there is no doubting the love that you had for him, and if it wasn't you then you are not alone in your pain someone else has felt it too for a nephew..
Loss isn't about the blood connection or legitimesd by some kind of closeness rating,it is about the love you hold for someone,so never think you don't have the right to grieve,you do,no one here will ever think otherwise.

Offline D

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 06:08:23 AM »
Thanks for all of your responses -Just for the record, I wasn't talking about anyone from here.  I was mostly talking about those people who knew him, or knew of him.  I know I don't do a good job talking about him -it just sucks when those who did know him act as if he never existed.  I know it isn't a new thing, that everyone has experienced it to some degree.  And yes, I did write a few things about him on the old forums -just haven't been able to find the words to write anything else lately.

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 07:37:30 AM »
Sending you hugs D.  We are always here to listen when you want to talk about your Nephew.  X

Offline Joann

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 04:13:45 PM »
Hi D, I think we had a chat the other evening on the chat facility. Let me say once again how sorry I am for your loss. It doesnt matter what your relationship was, your nephew, what matters is that you have lost someone that you love. Please feel free to post about your nephew or join us in the chat room. There is people as part of this forum who are very caring and supportive. Sending you lots of  :hug:
Taking it one day at a time.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 07:20:27 PM »
We're all here if you want to write about your nephew D.  :hug:

Offline Soleil

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 08:57:22 PM »
Hi D,

Had a nice chat with you the other day. I think your caring and remembering your nephew is what you need to do. Posting or updating here will give you the avenue to express your thoughts without judgement. Your nephew did impact this world and will not be forgotten. He has made a remarkable impression on you. You can continue to talk about him and remember him to family and friends. You know here you have excellent support and also on the chat. We are all here to listen.  :hug:  :hug: