Author Topic: The smallest things  (Read 3541 times)

Offline Becks1871

• New Members
The smallest things
« on: May 28, 2016, 05:02:27 PM »
I've been struggling recently to come to terms with my Nan no longer being here. The realisation that I'm starting to forget her smell or that I can't hear her voice is like being hit in face.
However, I went to fill the car up this morning and as I was walking out of the shop there were 3 people collecting for the lifeboats. I have never seen them fund raise here before.

My Nan was a huge supporter of the lifeboats and rather than having any flowers at her funeral we asked that people made a donation to the charity. To see them today for the first time since she died really struck me. I gave them some money and  almost cried. Then I realised, this is not a sad feeling, this is a sign that life does go on and I know that if Nan is looking down on me that this is her way of telling me she is still here. Not in the physical sense but in the smallest things that we shared together. A piece of music, a smell, or in our case 3 lovely people collecting for charity.

This helped me find some peace this morning and I've felt happier all day for this brief encounter. I just wanted to share this with you all. Sometimes it really is the smallest things that leave the biggest mark....
"Weep if you must,parting is hell
But life goes on,so sing as well"

Joyce Grenfell

Offline rajahh

Re: The smallest things
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 05:21:25 PM »
This is exactly how those we love stay with us.  Thank you for sharing that.  It would s agreat reminder.

Jeannette

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 10:22:30 PM »
I'm so pleased you managed to see the positive in the situation. Life is full of little reminders of our loved ones and it is so easy to let them upset us by thinking about our loss rather than enjoy the wonderful memories they trigger.

Today I was walking to the shop and I found a gold earring in the street. It was of the type Margaret always wore and she was forever losing them. It made me chuckle to myself as I remembered how she would frantically retrace her steps looking for them when, 9 times out of 10, they would be caught on her clothes.

Keep enjoying the memories.  :hug:

Offline Becks1871

• New Members
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »
Thank you for sharing your reminder too. I truly believe that it is these small things that keep our loved ones with us. Like you say though,  it is sometimes hard to remember this and we tend to focus on the loss.
As one of my Nans favourite poems says;
"You can shed tears because she has gone,
Or you can smile because she lived".
I think these little moments really help us to do that.

Joyce Grenfell

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 10:19:12 AM »
Thats lovely. The small things and signs do help
Reminds me of this poem, which helps me xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Becks1871

• New Members
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 10:29:52 AM »
Emz that's a beautiful poem! Thank you for sharing

Joyce Grenfell

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 03:32:09 PM »
 :hearts: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Soleil

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 02:18:16 PM »
Gosh,

I was just getting ready to leave to go somewhere and I started to read this and began crying. That is beautiful.   :hug: