Author Topic: My new reality  (Read 5401 times)

Offline phoenixrising

My new reality
« on: May 18, 2016, 09:15:15 PM »
Hi everyone,
I posted here not long after my amazing mum passed on 15th April. I cannot believe it has been a month. I cannot believe I have made it through a month in this world without her! I cannot believe what has gone on, it still doesn't feel real to me, it feels like I have stepped into an alternative reality (hence the name of the thread). Some days, for some of the day now, I can feel ok'ish. On other days it feels like I don't know which way is up.
This thread is mainly just for my therapy, to get stuff out and try and find a way through all of this. I hope that's ok? I have an odd sense of humour sometimes but I never mean to offend. I am also a spiritual person so this thread will contain some of my beliefs and experiences. I regularly attend spiritualist church and mediumship/psychic demonstrations and have done for years. I do not expect everyone to share my beliefs nor do I wish to push my beliefs upon anyone else. I just believe we should all respect each other. I apologise in advance if anything I put here offends anyone, that is not my intention.

I am an only child. Married for 19 yrs. 6 kids (21,18,13,7,4,10months), 1 granddaughter (14months). We homeschool our 3 schoolage children and our oldest lives with her partner and daughter. My dad is 85 and quite frail.
I have been a carer for my mum for 10yrs, employed as her carer officially for 4yrs. Mum had a fall in 2006 where she broke the top of her leg in 4 places. They operated, failed to fix it properly and she was left wheelchair dependant even indoors. She could only transfer seat to seat, not walk.  Mum had various problems after the op and ended up back in into HDU with septicaemia from MRSA in the wound from the op on her leg. We were told then that we were going to lose her. She somehow pulled through and came to stay with me as it was too much for my dad as he was just recovering from a cancer. I nursed her back to health and apart from the wheelchair we got on with life and she returned home to my dad. They moved to a bungalow adapted for the wheelchair and were happy.
About 6yrs ago mum started getting bad chest infections that were a nightmare to shift. She was diagnosed with COPD. These chest problems saw her hospitalised many times. On 3 more separate occasions we were taken into a little room and sat down to be told we were going to lose her, every time she managed to pull through.
We had an awful year last year that saw mum lose both her brothers within 8 weeks of each other and her sister-in-law just 4months later on my sons 18th birthday.
She coped really well though and we enjoyed Christmas together as a family, as mum had been in hospital for xmas 2014. After Christmas she began getting a chest infection, we thought it had gone but then it came back. This went on for a few weeks. Antibiotics, steroids then different antibiotics. Eventually in March mum was sent for a chest x-ray. The dr wasn't happy so ordered a CT scan. This was done at the end of March. All the while on different antibiotics/steroids. It would seem like it was going then it was back. We went to see the consultant on 4th April. He said that although they couldn't rule out cancer it could also have been the infection causing this mass they could see. they wouldn't risk a biopsy so set for another scan on 16th May to look for any change. I asked "what about now? what about antibiotics? whats happening?" He said they didn't know for sure there was still any infection! Mentioned fluid on the lungs and empashemia.  I am sure something changed that day with her. She was sure it was cancer, like her brothers. In the days that followed she was starting to write lists about who she wanted to have what when she passed. We stopped her finishing this, saying she was going to be fine. I honestly thought we had more time. On Monday 11th I went to work as normal but she wasn't having a good day. I did the usual housework/dinner, the nurse came to see her. She didn't want the dr out, she didn't want to go into hospital. She hated hospitals! In the evening I got a call to say she was unwell from her neighbour who was with her and she called an ambulance. My husband went down and followed the ambulance to the hospital and stayed with mum, as did her friend, until about 2am. Mum told them to come home. I went to see her the next day just before 12noon. She seemed to be feeling a little better. I stayed till the evening and came home. On Wednesday morning I got an upset call from my mum saying the hospital wanted to talk to me and dad. I took dad in and we were reassured by the staff that everything was fine and that mum got upset over a  DNR discussion, that it was just standard. She didn't seem too bad, she was on IV antibiotics, they took some fluid from between the lung and ribs or something.
Children are awake so I will continue when I get a chance!
Taking it one step at a time x

Offline phoenixrising

Re: My new reality
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 01:49:37 AM »
Only almost took me 2 weeks to continue! Just can't seem to grab any time. Just want the world to stop and let me wallow for a while.
So on the Thursday I ring hospital, took forever to get through, spoke to Dr and they said to come in. Went in with dad and was given the news they had stopped the antibiotics as she wasn't responding and there was nothing more they could do. My 2 oldest, 18 and 21 came to see mum. I stayed Thursday and other than taking my Dad back and forth I was with her till the end. She passed on the Friday night with me beside her. I was just there sat with her, alone, curtains drawn. When she went I freaked out a bit and went looking for a nurse. Found a HCA who went to get a nurse who went to get a Dr. Dr came said sorry, did whatever they do, then offered me coffee. She came back handed me coffee then went. I just remember sitting with mum and this damn cup of coffee! Then someone asked if anyone else was coming. I said no so they asked if I had everything, got me to sign some form and to ring hospital on Monday. That was it. Within 30 min of mum passing I was sat in my van wondering how I was going to drive home.
I am not the same person now as the one that walked into the hospital on that day. For a few weeks I sobbed every night in my sleep as well as most of the day. In between I was dealing with all the usual paperwork and stuff for dad as well as the funeral arrangements. My poor dad never dealt with paperwork in the 48 yrs they were married so I am sure he's not going to have to start at the age of 85! 
As I was employed by mum I also having to deal with benefits. Hubby is job hunting furiously. Everything feels such a mess. I hurt physically for about five weeks and emotionally I can't even describe how much it hurts. I have to keep going for the kids and dad but I feel so lost and empty and angry and guilty. I see dad everyday to do him dinner and to do some housework and we have a bit of a chat. But dad is a man of few words really, mum was the one that liked to chat. Sometimes she would chat on the phone 3 times a day. When I call dad I am lucky to get a whole minute out of him, lol, he hates talking on the phone.
Yesterday was my 40th birthday and boy did it sting, but I got through. I am still here. Not looking forward to today. Got more of mums clothes to sort. X

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 09:37:45 AM »
Hi pheonixrising.  Thank you for sharing your story with us.

You have certainly done the best you possibly could for both of your parents over the years and this will make the void left by your mothers passing so much bigger.

I find that putting things down in writing can be very beneficial in making some sense of the crazy whirlpool of emotions that bereavement triggers. I hope it helps you in the same way.

:hug:

Offline phoenixrising

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 11:35:01 PM »
Thanks Hubby. I think it will help at the moment as it still feels like there is so much to do and such a long rd ahead.

This week seems to have not got much done. I managed to get my dad to the Dr who diagnosed nerve pain and gave a new pain killer. Going to have to see how he tolerates them as they can make you drowsy so worried about falls now. Also contacted memory assessment team as he's been having tests. Got 1st app on 14th I think. Just so worried about him. He's not eating well. Wasn't really before mum passed. I cook for him everyday and make a sandwich for the evening but he sometimes forgets to eat in the evening.
Spoke to the family as I have bought a cremation necklace for myself. Dad is happy about it and wants one too. So does husband and 2 oldest. Think it's lovely that they all are happy with the idea as I wasn't sure how they would feel about it.
Dropped some more of mum's clothes off and sobbed my heart out in the van afterwards. I have kept some fleece tops to make cuddly cushion covers for all of us.
My anxiety is really high over the last few days. Couldn't settle at all last night so was cleaning at 1am. Took half a sedative in the end at about 2am and fell asleep around 3am. Hate taking them but only take half every now and again so I guess it's OK just for now. Hadn't even thought of them in a week. Feel wide awake now. See what tonight brings.

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 08:15:19 AM »
hi Pheonix thats a lovely idea making cussion covers out of your mums clothes, im sure it will bring some comfort to you all, xxx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 03:11:27 PM »
I have a cushion stuffed with Margarets dressing gown which is a great comfort.  I go to sleep cuddled up to it.

Offline phoenixrising

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 04:55:44 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I am hoping to get these cushions sorted out soon but the last few times I have been at mum and dads I don't seem to have got much done.
 It was 2 months yesterday. I keep going into mums computer room (where she spent lots of her time) and just standing there. I know there is still so much to go through but it almost feels like if I leave it all there she will come back. Stupid, I know.
I have managed to sort out the kitchen for dad and put away all the stuff he won't use (mum was into gadgets for everything) and tidied up the cleaning cupboard. I also have sorted mums clothes, well most of them, but I can't bring myself to get rid of her slippers. Grief is a strange business.
I took my dad to his app for his memory on Tuesday and we have a follow up app on 4th July to see the consultant and find out what is actually going on. I am so scared. I am doing my best to make sure dad eats. I go and see him and cook dinner every day. Leave sandwiches etc. He is sometimes forgetting to eat and other times obviously doesn't feel like it, which I get as I am still not bothering myself much to be honest, but he is losing weight again. We have been battling to keep weight on him since last year. He has build up drinks but sometimes forgets those. I feel like I am letting him down. We are in the process of hopefully getting some help through adult social care. Had the assessment and they are getting dad a machine that automatically dispenses his meds at the right times and it uses an alarm too so fingers crossed that will help a bit. They are looking to see if they can get half an hour a day so someone comes in at lunchtime to do lunch for him and check on him and he is looking at going to a day centre once a week. I guess I just need to see how things go. I have said to him that I will take him out for a few hours next week, just go for a coffee and a browse and get him out for a bit. do something together. He has also agreed to come to local National Trust place with us as its only down the road so going to book that tomorrow too.

I have been to church a few times since mum passed and had some healing which I found very helpful. I just need to get there more often :rolleyes: Also had a lovely message from spirit world sending me lots of support and reassurance which was uplifting. I have an appointment booked with a psychic medium tomorrow. He and his wife run the church and I have been to him for readings before so I feel very comfortable going to him. Haven't been for a proper one to one reading for a couple of years, thinking about it. I like to go once a year usually. It's more of a self growth progression session I guess. My journey is getting strange and I need to know what to do next and if I am going in the right direction. I have also been devouring books about spirit at a rate of knots which is bringing me comfort.

Well, been up for an hour or so now so a last cuppa and I will try and get a couple more hours sleep.
Wishing you all well.
Namaste x

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 07:49:36 PM »
2 months in is still very early days so don't beat yourself up about not getting much done. Theres plenty of time to get your cushions finished. Just getting through the day is a good goal to set and count anything else as a bonus.

Your looking after your dad and yourself which is one, sometimes two, more people than I managed some days  :hug:

Offline Soleil

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 01:23:56 AM »
Hi

I have found that church has been solace for me also. I started going to the one locally and I try to get there every week with the odd exception and it gives me a chance to meet people. Church people are very receptive even if you don't go into your problems. It is a place of warmth for me. I hope you continue on your journey toward healing.  :hug:

Offline phoenixrising

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 02:23:13 AM »
Thanks for the support hubby. Glad to hear you have also found comfort within the church jakers. I also find that you don't have to go into details and just love being in such a warm and positive energy.

Things just seem to feel worse right now. I feel under so much pressure to do right by everyone. My poor dad seems to be struggling but doesn't really talk about things. Always been a man of few words though my Dad. His memory seems worse but I don't know how much of it is grief. I have put things in silly places and have difficulty concentrating myself at times so it could be part of it I guess.
My hubby might be starting work soon which is great on one hand, and very much needed, but on the other hand leaves me at home with 3 children that are homeschooled and our youngest, who is coming up to a year old. At the moment I feel like a flat battery and my kids need energy.

I spent most of today in bed. First time since mum passed. Wouldn't give in to it before. Been an awful weekend.
Really don't want to go to gp as I have been off of antidepressants for years. They really didn't seem to help much and I tried a fair few. My anxiety is very high and all I do is cry. Need to find some strength from somewhere

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »
I,m not a church member but found a local church which was open out of service times was a great place to be alone just a feeling of warmth and comfort.maybe because its a really old building and was a pagan site prior to that so must have always been a healing and special place.

If you don't want to go the antidepressant route you gp may be able to offer grief counselling,and there are other ways to fight depression.Really important is having some time for yourself.I don't mean trendy me time but just twenty minutes once the brood go to bed maybe even in the bath,or at least the bathroom,away from the busy ness
You could try meditation or mindfulness.Also is there anyway your dad could be involved with the home schooling is there a link to what you are teaching it might help with a breather for you but also give him something to focus on and so help him too.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 09:34:39 PM »
Grief is very tiring and confusing. I have experienced everything you write about and still am. My mind seems to have its own idea of what is important and I am forever forgetting where I have put things, going out without my keys or wallet, even going places and forgetting why I went there.

Then there is the tiredness and can't be bothered getting up days. I guess it's all just part of the process and if we need a rest then we have to put other things on the back boiler and have one.

It's early days and things should get easier in time. We have to look after ourselves and even indulge our feelings until we are better able to cope.

Look after yourself  :hug: