Author Topic: Tremendous guilt about Mum  (Read 3163 times)

Offline jules

Tremendous guilt about Mum
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:42:11 PM »
I lost my Mum to dementia two weeks ago. Really, I feel like I lost her in 2014. I have two young children and did not live nearby - I did not even get there in time at the end of her life as she declined rapidly without much warning. Once she had declined I stopped going to see her often in her care home (she could no longer talk with me, or interact in anyway). I feel I let her down towards the end of her life as we were very close when younger - but I stopped seeing her regularly because it was so hard on so many different levels. When I did visit I just felt useless and unable to change anything. I feel enormous guilt I did not go more often because she did at least seem to still recognise me up to the end. I cannot forgive myself for not prioritising seeing her over my children and work. I wish I had moved her in with me and cared for her or at least moved her nearer. It is too late and I am so low.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
Re: Tremendous guilt about Mum
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »
Hi jules. Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Guilt is one of the many emotions the grieving process throws at us. I think most of us on here have felt guilt at some time in the grieving process. There will always be the unanswered "if only I had..." questions. Try not to blame yourself and concentrate on happier times.

:hug:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:04:46 AM by Hubby »

Offline Soleil

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 07:58:24 PM »
Hi jules,

I think we always do our best in the tough times and always beat ourselves up after. I'm sure your mother would be the first to tell you that and forgive any guilt you may have.  :hug:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 09:57:46 PM »
Hello Jules, my condolences on the loss of your mum. Those feelings of guilt that we all suffer from time to time as part of our grieving process are awful and defy logic sometimes.

I understand what my mum always used to say to me because I feel exactly the same way and I think most parents do, "as long as I know that you and the children are alright then I'm alright, come when you can but don't worry about me". If only we could be in two places at one time eh...
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:02:22 PM »
Well said longedge, when we lose our parents we forget that as long as we are happy with our own little family they feel they have succeeded in life and would never ever wish to get in the way of our family happiness, my heart goes out to you Jules because i was exactly the same when i lost my mum to dementia, i didnt get to say goodbye either but i look back and think that was my mums wish, i put work, family anything i could that kept me from spending as much time as i could with mum, because to me the person in mums body wasnt her she was just a shell, dementia is a terrible illness, giving up your job putting everything on hold and having your mum home would not have made any difference,  the end result would still have been the same hun it was inevitable, yes it might have made you feel better at first but please ask yourself what a strain it would have put on your own family, and would your poor mum have been better off.  (((Hugs))) xxx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 08:55:53 AM »
Sending a big hug  :hug:  I don't think I can add much to what others have already said. Grief does make you feel guilt, which I know is not things we should be guilty for. I felt bad that I should have asked my dad to move in with me (although my dog wanted to eat his parrot!), or should have got him to stay with me more, or stay with him more. I still feel a bit annoyed at myself that I should have put work to the side more, they gave me time to go along to chemo appts and I was able to work from dad's so I could stay at his and maintain my hours too (I had not long had a promotion) but looking back I wish I had taken more time off

I keep telling myself I did all I could, I'm sure dad knew I loved him. And also my dad wanted his home and his stuff around him too.  I think what norma says is wonderful, if I really think and remove emotion, and I know my dad would want me to succeed and that would make him happy in itself xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Joann

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 10:42:32 AM »
Hi Jules, so sorry for your loss. Sending you lots of  :hug:
Taking it one day at a time.

Offline rajahh

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 12:50:38 PM »
Hallo.   I have experience of a mother and a husband with dementia, so I understand some of what you are saying.

I did live near my mother for a year or so but then moved over 200 miles away. I was only able to visit about 3 times a year as money was tight. I too had floated the idea of having my mother at home but in reality she deteriorated so badly I knew it was an impossible dream.

I was not with her when she died, and yes there are regrets, but unless your mother had been a very selfish person all her life, she would not want you to beat yourself up. As a mother myself I only ever wanted my children to grow up and become independent, and contented, and living a full life.

It is easy for us to tell you not to feel guilty, and to underestimate how badly you need to say things to her.  I suggest you sit quietly somewhere , in your own home, or in the garden, or somewhere where you can be peaceful. Have a photograph of her in your hands, and talk to her. Just say all you need to, tell her how you regret not visiting, tell her how much you love her, tell her how wonderful she was to you, and then just say sorry. 

Take her with you in your heart, in your actions in the future, the way you treat other people, . live your life as she would have wanted you to, this is her inheritance to you,. Accept this inheritance, and carry her with you.

When my husband deteriorated he too had to go into care. His brothers could no longer visit, they could not cope at all, they could not even ring him, but they still loved him.  My stepdaughter struggled too, but she did visit, and thankfully we were both there at his bedside when he died.

It is hard when your loved one ceases to be the person you relied on, the person you went to with your worries, your dreams, your plans.  It is hard. We all know that on here.

Please keep reading, keep replying, and we will support you while you grieve, however long that takes.

Jeannette