Author Topic: Re: FUMING!  (Read 688 times)

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
Re: FUMING!
« on: November 02, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »
That does sound harsh Eileen, maybe worth double checking perhaps..

What's this Bereavement allowance you mentioned ?   didn't know there was such a thing,  though tbh I may not have been eligible anyway of course.
However they did generously increase my state pension a few pounds,  but if I had to rely on that...the car would have to go for a start...lol.  My council tax alone is 1475 a year,  though they have since applied the 25% single occupancy discount....to be 100% fair shouldn't  that really be 50%,  it's crazy how the system works.  One things for sure, in your case it's certainly something you can do without Eileen,  it's no small sum either to repay back,  they should have taken the tax off.

Not good receiving a bill for £500 especially so near to Xmas,  if it turns out to be correct Eileen can they not increase the tax you pay each week and recoup it that way....over a period of time,   that's what they did many years ago,  you sure they haven't made a mistake.?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:26:10 AM by Brian71 »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
That seems so utterly ridiculous!! They should pay it after removing tax!  There is no way a bereaved person has their brain operational for worrying about or calculating tax!  Its sad isnt it, something that should be helpful yet through lack of knowledge/experience they just follow process and then their lack of detail causes more distress :-( 

Sending a hug Eileen, I know how challenging these things can be  :hug: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 06:58:08 PM »
The insensitivity of government departments seemingly has no boundaries.

In a way I can see why the allowance is taxable but they should at least ensure that you know it is to prevent shock bills being dropped on you like this. I applied for it I think, it was part of a phone call to someone when I wasn't all there. I never heard anything further of it but if I had got it and was hit with a bill like that I would also be fuming.

You may be able to get them to change your tax code to repay the arrears over a year Eileen which might lessen the shock. I would pen a note to your MP expressing your disgust though

Noli nothis permittere te terere  :hug:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »
I don't understand why they have done this.it is taxable,but when I got it it came from PAYE and I had notification that my tax code had changed.at both ends of the payment.Maybe the system has changed but you should have been notified.I would most definitely try to give them a ring and ask for it to be taken from future PAYE.its unfair to ask you to pay a lump some for both tax and NI. :hug:

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 08:39:02 PM »
It is very unfair, I have to pay the extra tax the the bereavment allowance on my part time wage plus get taxed on Paul's pension.  Wouldn't like to check how much tax I pay in total, it would depress me.  Remember when I found out, I was fuming as well.  x