Author Topic: My Mum is gone  (Read 4454 times)

Offline Leigh

My Mum is gone
« on: April 17, 2016, 09:19:59 PM »
I already posted about losing my Mum 17th March. Her funeral was Tuesday just gone. I thought I may feel a bit better after the funeral, but I feel much worse. It was the final thing I could do for Mum and now it's over. I feel the need to do it again. Of course people have to go about their daily lives, but I don't like it. People phoned and text me the day after the funeral, but nothing since. My husband isn't good in situations like this and when I cry he gets annoyed and says there's no point to crying as it doesn't change anything. He said I've done the hard part - the funeral, and I should feel better. I'm an only child, my Dad died in 1999 and the family isn't close at all. I feel so alone.
Mum and I were best friends, we loved going round the shops and for lunch. She had wanted to be a Nana for years, but I had problems conceiving. I eventually had a son in Jan 2014. Mum was thrilled and loved him dearly. He was 12 weeks old when she had a major stroke. She lost her speech, swallowing ability and all movement. She was hospitalised for a few months. She was strong, and regained speech, her ability to eat, and to some extent, some movement. But she never walked again. And it left her prone to seizures. She also had a lot of chest infections due to being bed bound. She was terrified of going into a nursing home, so I became her carer. We had recently bought a house, but rented it out and lived with her. She was diagnosed with dementia early 2015. She would get confused and frightened at times, but always knew her grandson. She would often cry because she wasn't able to take him out. It became increasingly hard as my son became more mobile. Mum had s lot of medical equipment and there was very little space, plus I became pregnant again. So in May 2015 we moved into our house. I felt so guilty, and considered bringing her also, but there would've been the issue of space again. I used to walk 50 mins to Mum, but didn't get there every day as I was then taking my son to various groups as he was becoming more active. I continued doing her meals and washing and she had the full home care package. She had a severe episode of seizures not long after we'd moved out and she was in hospital for weeks. Her speech never fully recovered, and her state of mind had deteriorated. She also suffered depression. I was constantly worried about her. She was in and out of hosp with seizures and chest infections. So I tried to get her into an assisted living place but they wouldn't accept her as her care needs were too great and after an assessment social services said she needed to be in a nursing home. So I found one 20 mins walk from us. It was always clean, good food and nice staff. But a couple of times I'd reported Mum having a bad chest which wasn't picked up on and resulted in her being hospitalised. It became near impossible to visit her with my toddler as he just wanted to run around the corridors and would have a tantrum if I tried to keep him in the room, so I used to have to wait for my husband to get home in order to go. He works in West London and often it would be too late to visit her. She only ever had me visit. Her speech was incomprehensible. She would just be laying staring at the wall when I went in. I had my second son Feb and my midwife told me not to go in the home for at least 2 weeks because of risk of infection. It actually took me 3 weeks to recover, so I didn't see her. We had her to our house Mothering Sunday. She met her new grandson. I'm hoping she understood. I noticed her breathing was laboured and my husband told the staff when he accompanied her back to the home. They said they would get their GP to look at her straight away. I got a call Mondsy afternoon saying they'd called an ambulance as she was having trouble breathing. There was no record of my husband talking to them, the GP hadn't been called. She had pneumonia. The home had told the paramedics it had just come about Monday. I told the consultant I'd noticed her breathing Sunday and it could've been going on days as I hadn't been able to visit her. He said what I was saying made much more sense than what the home told them. She was very poorly, on IV fluids, oxygen and 2 types of anti biotic. On the Saturday the consultant said she wasn't improving and it was better to let her go. So I had to agree to them withdrawing the medication and fluids then later the oxygen. She was given morphine, so very drowsy. She died on the Thursday.  I was with her. I have so many emotions. I feel so sad for all she went through. I'm angry with the care home for not picking up on it. I regret not being able to have kids earlier so she could've enjoyed them, and they could remember her. I have overwhelming guilt about moving out, not visiting her more and not trying to find a way to make her living with us work. She had gone through so much and come back again and again then suddenly was in hospital and gone in just over a week. I can't believe she's gone. I'm finding it very hard to be smiley and playful for my 2 yr old and cope with my 9 week old. People have told me to get out the house, but the sadness comes over me and I don't want to get upset in public, so have been indoors since last Tuesday. At the funeral people said to keep busy, but that would seem to me that I'm trying not to think about her, and I want to think about her. I want everyone to think about her. I'm so sad.   

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
Re: My Mum is gone
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 11:46:30 PM »
A friend of mine told me that things would seem worse after my wife's funeral and she was right.

Before the funeral there are things to be done and people calling around offering help and condolences. After the funeral that all seems to stop as if people expect you to just pick up where you left off and carry on. I used to think like that myself.

Now I know better. While the funeral is hard it comes at the end of a period of numbness and disbelief. It is just the start of adjusting to our loss. Just when we need support the most the phone calls and knocks at the door stop.

My thoughts are with you :hug:

Offline Dave Administrator

• Dave
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • BUK Founder
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 09:57:07 AM »
Wow Leigh you certainly know how to get such a moving and very sad story down in such detailed writing, it really hit the spot with me and I can't tell you how I wished for it all to be so different for you and your Mum.

Your suffering terribly with all the classic bereavement emotions and you have to believe me when I tell you no matter what more you could have ever done differently, it wouldn't take away one speck of guilt that you feel right now and trust me on that one from having this site nearly 16 years and hearing this from everyone.

You keep posting here Leigh giving and receiving support and I promise you it will slowly get better and life will have a meaning for you again.
Take care and please keep posting however small or large you can manage, we need them.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 03:08:48 PM »
 :hug:As a mum and grandma myself we do understand that our children love us but also have their own lives to lead and fit round us i dont see that you could have done any more than you did to help her.
People do have strange expectations of how we should respond to grief,  the funeral focuses on doing those last things for them and afterwards it seems there is nothing more to be done.In a way the beginning rather than the end of the journey grief takes us on.
You may have heard the poem stop all the clocks, i think it is really the best thing i have read to describe how it feels in this period.

perhaps rather than go where there are lots of people, you could take the children for a walk or to the local park during school hours.Nature has some healing properties of its own and i always find little ones are easier outdoors where there is always something new to look at and explore, so you wouldnt have to put so much effort into smiling for your son and his discoverys may focus your attention on simple things for a while.

I was determined my youngest grandchildren would know their grandad even though some i have now never met him, -so in a sense the funeral is not the last thing you can do because our loved ones exist always in our hearts and are always a part of who we are and wo our children are,so once you start to feel a little stronger perhaps you could create a memory book which your children can carry forward in their lives and you can share the happier times of your mums life with them for many years to come.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »
My condolences Leigh. I'm sure your husband just feels powerless to help. If only I could turn the clock back twenty odd years to when Chris' parents died. I could have done so much more for her. I wasn't much help - even a big cuddle and some kind words eh...

I think it's so important in the longer term to keep talking in the family about our loved ones who are no longer with us. It keeps them fresh in our memories and helps the family members who didn't have a chance to get to know them to understand what they were like. I've got 3 grandsons who are 24, 22 and 10. The two older ones are brilliant with their young cousin and regularly talk about my Mum with him. When we eat together usually at least once a week, I make sure that Chris is talked about and also Omi (German for grandma).
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Leigh

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
Thank you everyone for the supportive messages.  I'm so glad I found this website. I can talk about my grief for my Mum without fear of making people uncomfortable, or starting to bore them. I hadn't been out since Mum's funeral last Tuesday as the sadness overwhelms me at times. Felt sorry for my 2 yr old being couped up so was determined to get out. Made it to a Boppintots toddler class. I was doing ok until the class leader sang 'two little dickie birds sitting in a wall.....' My Mum used to sing it to me as a child. At the end of class I found myself telling her if lost my Mum, and getting upset. The poor woman doesn't even know me and I'm sure she felt uncomfortable and didn't know what to say. I then couldn't stand the thought of going home, so went to the park then a soft play place. All the while I was out, I had to hold it together. I just about made it home. It seems all the tears I would've shed today, had I stayed indoors, came out tonight. I can't stop crying. And I feel guilty that I was out and about. I keep playing songs from the funeral and looking at photos. My husband says I'm torturing myself, but I can't help it.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 04:58:43 PM »
 :hug:you should not feel guilty about being out and about at all,your mum would not expect you to stay in the house feeling unable to go out,  thats the last thing any parent wants for their child.The two little dicky birds song was bound to bring tears but also because you do remember her singing it too you, at the time it was a happy thing not a sad one, in time you will come to see it as that -those are the kind of songs that go down generations and each time they do it is passing on something that was left by the ones before.I think many of us have "tortured" ourselves with music -i,m not sure its a bad thing to do something that makes you cry -crying is not bad for us.

Offline John28

• New Members
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 09:02:38 PM »
I know the feeling. Can relate to a lot of what you say.

My mum passed away in feb and the funeral was a few weeks after. Sine the funeral I have just felt worse.

The dreams I have been having are really bad. It takes me a while to get to sleep and then when I do, I seem to have the very similar dream all the time. Where i'm back at the home I used to live at with mum and first off, i'm there with her death being something realised in the dream. But then she comes in through the front door and I hear her voice. Then I wake up and realise she is actually gone.

I agree with people all being supportive until just after the funeral. I don't get on with family members because they have been full of lies for years. They made excuses to not bother with mum. When mum died they were at the funeral and many of them had my phone number. They said they would get in touch a week or 2 after to meet up for a catch up and a few drinks.

It's now been 2 months since the funeral and I havent heard of them

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 10:38:01 PM »
Unfortunately some family and friends say the oh's  and ah's and promise us everything, but not many deliver on there promises, i don't always think its because they dont care, it's just them falling back into there busy lives and when thet do remember us, theres always a good reason why they dont ring us. Xxxx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Leigh

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2016, 09:47:30 PM »
You are describing my Mum's family exactly John 28!  Mum would keep being the one to phone her sisters and cousins. They would always say "will ring you next week"  but NEVER do as they said. It used to upset Mum. And even more so that no one would ever visit. And she asked her cousin on several occasions about going to stay with her for a few days, but was always fobbed off with some excuse. Mum said to me a few times that if any of them went round telling people how close they were to her and often saw her etc etc, to say "that's a lie, you didn't really care". I told her I couldn't say that at her funeral! I did hear her cousin telling a few people they were more like sisters and she wouldve liked Mum to have gone seen her!!! This made me very angry because it was complete rubbish and exactly what Mum was talking about. And my cousin was telling people that her Mum (my aunt) was devastated and would miss Mum Terribly. She never even phoned her! My 2 aunts are doing it to me now. They both phoned the day after the funeral, and promised to ring me later in the week to see how I was doing......nothing. I won't hear from them again.