Author Topic: Junk mail  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
Junk mail
« on: April 11, 2016, 10:21:20 PM »
Got a load of junk mail for Margaret today in among the reams of official stuff that I can't face. I know I have to get the official stuff upsetting though it is but unnecessary offers of cut price eye tests and cheaper broadband are really upsetting.

I've registered with a couple of websites (deceased preference service and the bereavement register) that promise to stop it or at least reduce it.

Does anyone have any other tips for stopping junk mail?

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
Re: Junk mail
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 12:22:37 AM »
I know how upsetting it is to keep getting mails and emails. I always click on the 'unsubscribe' link and I've made one or two phone calls to people as well. I've been quite, shall we say forceful and at times afterwards felt a little bit sorry for the people at the other end of the phone but it has worked and I'm down to at the most 1 or 2 items a month be it mail or email.  I ask if they understand what they are doing? do they know how upsetting it is to lose your partner and then to have constant cruel reminders of your loss. The truth is that generally they don't understand and it takes a personal and honest call to bring it home and have the required effect.

This is also serves as one of my emotional outlets  :azn:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:24:08 AM by longedge »
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Joann

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 11:02:06 AM »
Hubby, I received a pack from the Brereavement service at the Hospital which advised me on how to go online and inform multiple agencies that my Mum had gone. It did help but then there is still the odd letter that gets through.
Taking it one day at a time.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:32:26 PM »
It is upsetting i moved house so it didnt happen for too long,  i dont know how to stop it,i have a bin for junk mail right next to the letter box so it goes straight in without me even looking at it.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 04:24:38 PM »
More junk mail this morning. PPI of all things.

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 07:04:17 PM »
Its 19 month since i lost my hubby, all but one item of mail has stopped, and nothing i do makes any difference, its a gardening catalogue, arrives on my doorstep every three month, i recognised se the envelope now so it goes straight in the bin xx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Soleil

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 08:38:31 PM »
I don't have any advice on mail Hubby since I"m not where you are but just to know I hope you are coming along. :)

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 05:06:30 PM »
Norma -maybe you are suposed to open the gardening magazine pick a plant and plant it for him. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Dave Administrator

• Dave
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • BUK Founder
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 08:32:01 AM »
Like all things that upset companies, hit them in the wallet where it hurts and send them all back

Take the greatest pleasure with a marker pen and write maybe "RTS Gone to heaven address unknown?" then put them all back in the mail box with a big grin on your face, knowing you'll cost them money the other end.

I did this once with Readers Digest who would not stop sending me stuff no matter how many times I asked them but that did the trick.

I think you'll find they will begin to stop from the same people sending them, plus they won't pay the company who passed your info on to them to send their junk mail to you in the first place.
Take care and please keep posting however small or large you can manage, we need them.