Bereavement Support Posts > Please Post In This Bereavement Support Posting Room

Thinking about dating again

<< < (2/3) > >>

Platypus:
Thanks all, your thoughts are appreciated.

In terms of the kids, it would all be easier I think if one of them didn't live with me, meaning I have no possibility of staying under the radar to see how things pan out (if they even start!), and then deciding how to play it.

The woman concerned is someone I used to work with, and we've been friendly off and on for years; I've barely seen her since losing Ann though we've been in touch now and again via the dreaded Facebook.  She's never met my kids.   Anyway, I'll report back here if anything happens!  :azn:

Karena:
Good luck with it all. :hug:

Platypus:
Well.

I finally managed to pluck up the courage, and ask her to meet for an early evening drink at a pub later this week. Am terrified. I can't even remember how the whole 'dating' thing even worked, it's been so long since I last did it, and it's all so different these days, isn't it?   But then again, she's roughly my age so maybe we're more in tune and traditional about that than my kid's generation.  Although - she's been single and presumably dating people for years, so maybe not.   Complicated, complicated...   

I don't know whether she's coming because she thinks it would be rude to say 'no' (and knowing her, I'm pretty sure she would think that), or whether she might actually be potentially interested in me. And if she was interested, I imagine she'd be keen to know if I've 'moved on' sufficiently to warrant the possibility of getting involved.  Don't know how that works.  It's actually a question I've asked myself a lot before deciding to take this step.  The best 'evidence' I can come up with is the fact that some weeks after the funeral I was presented with a condolence book by Ann's employer - she had quite a 'public' job and was very well-known and well-liked in the community; and it was filled with pages and pages of lovely comments about her.  I tried reading it several times over the first year or so, but on each occasion I just ended up in floods and feeling utterly lost and devastated.  So I had never actually read past the first few pages, until I sat down with it a few weeks ago to try again.   This time the result was moist eyes and smiles, which I take as a sign of progress.  But I think that's a bit Too Much Information for a (potentially) first date!  :laugh:

I'm overthinking all this, aren't I?   :rolleyes:

longedge:
Yes  :grin:

Forgive the frivolity I hope it works out well for you  :smiley:

Emz2014:
Its natural to be overthinking it.  Do your best to stay calm, try to have a nice time and not worry about the what-ifs. Whether this goes anywhere or not,  its another step forward on your journey  :hug: xx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version