Author Topic: Need help but don’t know where to start  (Read 1876 times)

Offline Westy2K

Need help but don’t know where to start
« on: September 10, 2019, 08:29:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I wanted to tell my story and if you can offer me any advise that would be welcome.

Last year my dad was diagnosed with cancer, 17th November and literately from diagnosis to him passing was 6 weeks. It’s pretty much the hardest thing I have had to go through. When he was initially diagnosed he was ok although he had a terrible year leading up to it. He had a heart attack in the January of the year which he got over quite quickly, I married my wife in the June and he was there for it which was great. A month after that he had an operation on his stomach to remover an aneurism. Due to the surgery he had a blood clot in his pinky toe which they had to remover in the September and just as he was getting over that he called me on the 17th of November to tell me he had kidney stones and there was an ambulance coming to take him and my mum up to the hospital that was in the afternoon and later that evening he called and told me they had done scans and it wasn’t kidney stones it was cancer, they kept him in to biopsy the cancer, it was in his lungs and chest. Because of everything he had gone through and the meds he was on he had to wait a week for the biopsy for the drugs to clear his system. The following week we went back for the results, me my mum and dad and my sister. They told us it was a very aggressive cancer and that they would give him radiotherapy to try and reduce the masses one of which was on his wind pipe. My wife and I were planning to spend Christmas with her family but we decided as this might be his last to spend it with my family. He was having good and bad days leading up to Christmas and had had a bad day on Christmas Eve so my mum hoped he would have a better one in Christmas Day but sadly he didn’t. He managed about an hour before he had to go to bed where he spent the rest of the day. During that time my mum had to ask me repeatedly to help take him to the toilet as she is disabled and could not manage him. I spoke with my wife and decided to stay with my parents from then on to help out, I went home and took a single bed from my house to set up downstairs as there was a toilet just off the living room and we had him stay down there as it was taking him ten mins with help to get to the toilet from his bedroom. We took turns staying up with him for the first night before I managed to arrange for nurses to come in and care for him through the night and allow me my mum and my sister some rest. On the 29th of December I had arranged a surprise birthday party for my wife who turned thirty on Christmas Day and my mum and sister told me to go to it, it was during the day and they said they could cope, by this time my dad was on a morphine drip and was unconscious more often than not so I went along then rushed home after at tea time. That night he came too for about twenty mins and all three of us got to talk to him and he looked like he understood but could not really communicate back short of grunts and head movements. We told him we loved him and my mum told him if it was too much just to go, we hated seeing him in this much pain. He couldn’t even lay down as the mass pressing on his wind pipe was so uncomfortable we had him in a recliner chair so he was at least comfortable. That night the nurse appeared and we were moving him to change some of his sheets and he had an accident, the nurse said she would sort it so me and my sister went into the kitchen while the nurse and my mum tried to sort him out when the nurse called us back through and told us it was time. The three of us sat holding my dads hands in floods of tears and he slowly stopped breathing. It’s was the most painful thing I have ever watched in my life, it truly was devastating to watch my dad die right in front of me.

The next few days to weeks were spent making the arrangements for his funeral which helped me my mum and sister greatly as we put all of our efforts into making it the funeral he wanted. He had started to do it himself but had ran out of time sadly but we knew most of what he wanted such as a bespoke coffin and we managed to get one that they printed photos on as he wanted an allotment scene we got photos of him in his allotment and they printed it on the coffin it was amazing and there were so many comments on it, we even found a florist who did a vegetable arrangement instead of flowers.

His funeral came and I got a bit drunk and had a good cry at the end of the night and then things went back to normal or so I thought, at least it felt like it did, I went back to work was living back home with my wife but one day out of nowhere I tripped on the dog and hurt my foot and I screamed at him in front of my wife. She tried to tell me it was not normal but I didn’t really take it in, I just thought she was overreacting to me shouting at the dog. During this time we were going through IVF as we both really want children but are struggling to conceive, my wife offered to postpone the treatment but I pushed for it as I thought that it might bring us some joy. During that time which is so hard on my wife I kept having outbursts I hadn’t noticed it but after she talked to me I started to see it a little bit so I tried a few things to stop myself getting angry none of which worked and I gave up on them because there is nothing wrong with me. That’s what I told myself anyway. On the day of egg collection we had a massive argument that stemmed from me and I said some really nasty things to her which I regret to this day. This brought things very much to the forefront and I started exercises to try and control my anger and they helped but not as much as I wished they had.

Anyway at the end of the IVF once my wife had been implanted with an embryo on the 24th of March the day after my Grandads birthday I got a phone call from my mum and she told me he had died that morning, at this point I just felt like this year was kicking my ass. I was planning to go and see him that day for his birthday, he had been having a bad time of it for about 6 months he had breathing problems and had been in and out of hospital during that time. I just felt so knocked down. I couldn’t believe it first my dad then my grandad, these were the two main male role models in my life growing up. I’m not really one for crying and although I was upset I didn’t actually cry I don’t know why but I didn’t. So my Granda’s funeral came around and we were still in the midst of ivf and my wife was not feeling too good and asked if we could go home towards the end of the tea and I agreed although I felt upset about this but did it for her. I feel like I struggle to communicate with my wife sometime, I struggle to tell her calmly that I’m upset about something so it builds up until it explodes and it hurts me to do that and I know it hurts her too.

We decided that maybe we should try spending some time apart and so I started sleeping in the spare bedroom at this time and we agreed to start just looking after our own stuff as this is something that bothers me about my wife and I have not been able to explain to her that it bothers me that she expects me to do the majority of the house work even though we both work full time.

So moving on a couple of months later to May and my mum had a knee replaced so I agreed with my sister to come and stay a couple of nights a week to help out with my mum as both my mum and sister are disabled and it was a bit much for my sister to look after my mum on her own. Anyway as my mum was recovering and starting to feel better and regain movement my wife called me and told me that our dog was struggling, he had been diagnosed with cancer 18 months previous to this and we had him on so many meds and had operations to help him but sadly it was his time. He had gone off his food which was not like him so we made the decision to put him to sleep, the vets came up to our house in the evening and while he was in our arms they give him the injection and for the second time in a year someone I loved died in my hands.

Since then things have got worse, my dads birthday was a couple of weeks later and we all came to my mums to spend it together. It was a really nice evening and we watched old movies of the family and we had a chance to see and hear my dad and granda too. We had a few drinks but then me and my wife went to bed and I was a bit drunk. While lying in bed my wife tried to hug me and she was very cold in temperature, now this is still a bit hazy to me as I had a few drinks but the way she has explained it to me I threw her off me and swung my elbow hitting her ribs twice and brushing her in the process. I’m not a violent man but my actions have rightly scared her and after a few weeks of talking about this we decided that after her her next trip offshore I would move into my mums for a while to see if this would help improve our relationship. I have now been at my mums for a couple of weeks and feel completely lost. It’s a strange feeling, I feel lost and like my life has no meaning. We have delayed the next round of ivf until we can resolve our relationship issues but I feel like my life no longer has any meaning and nothing to move forward for. I’m not suicidal, I don’t want to hurt myself I just don’t know what to do or how to do it. My wife is pushing for me to see a therapist but I struggle talking with people about my feelings. She has also offered for me to talk to her but I’m scared of what will happen if I do and how she might react to what I have to say about what’s bothering me. I also worry about what a therapist might have to say about what I should do to help myself. I know that might sound strange but it plays on my mind. I also don’t want to talk to my sister or mum in the fear that it upsets them, they seem to be handling things better than me but that might not be the case and although this may seem selfish I don’t want to take on their issues with so many of my own as that’s what I do and I don’t concentrate on my own.

So when I found this site it seemed like a great idea to post this and see what if any advise people who have gone through similar things could offer.

Thanks for reading and for any advise that might be offered.

Offline Charlotte

Re: Need help but don’t know where to start
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 11:00:50 AM »
First of all, it’s great that you can be so honest and open here. You know that you need help and you are acknowledging that, which is a big step. Everyone deals with grief very differently, and I think that men and women tend to deal with grief in very different ways. You have been trying to carry on ‘as normal’ but after all you have been through there is no ‘normal’ any more. I know that many people find it difficult to communicate, but without communication it’s very hard to move forward and it seems that your grief, frustration and sorrow are manifesting themselves in these angry outbursts. Anger is a normal response to grief, but in order not to damage yourself or your relationships, it needs to be managed. I would suggest seeing a therapist together with your wife. The UK charity Cruse May be able to help you find the right one. There are lots of different therapy techniques and finding the right one can really help you to find your way back from this feeling of loss and emptiness. Your wife is probably grieving too, so being able to sit with her in a neutral environment and calmly both explain how you are feeling would at least open the door to acceptance and recovery. There is nothing weak about accepting help - in fact it is a strong and powerful thing to do. I started to see a therapist when my husband died suddenly as struggled (and still do) with the same feelings of hopelessness and Emptiness that you are struggling with. As someone else here said, grief doesn’t get better without spending me effort - even though that effort feels very very hard. Your feelings and reactions are not strange or ‘wrong’, many people are going through the same things, so you are not alone, but you do need to start moving forward and trying to find a way back to your wife (if that is what you both want). This is a very lonely business, so I do hope that you find some comfort h the. Wishing you lots of strength. Charlotte

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 11:27:36 AM »
Hello Westy2k,

Oh dear, what a lot you have had to endure in such a short space of time. It's no wonder you are struggling. I am so sorry.  :hearts:

We are not experts here, just ordinary people who have been down the grief path ourselves and are still finding our own way through this terrible time. We certainly don't have all the answers, but can relate to what you describe and have experienced, as we have known those same feelings and had similar experiences ourselves. All we can do is try to give you a reference point by telling you what helped us and how we are slowly finding our own way through this terrible time.

The first thing that struck me from your post was the sentence 'It's pretty much the hardest thing I have  had to go through.' I used almost the exact same words to describe the last weeks of my mum's life to my employer in an email I sent him at the time. It is exactly how I felt too. I don't think there is anything worse than watching a beloved parent slipping away from you in front of your eyes and knowing there is nothing you can do to prevent it and at the same time having to try to be strong when you are crumbling inside in order to try to help them get through those final weeks in as little distress as possible whilst trying to keep them calm and feeling loved, when you are screaming with pain and loss even before they are gone, yourself. It is an unimaginable weight on your shoulders that you wonder how you will bear and you know where it is leading and know there is no where else to go. I have never had to face anything harder either.

I recognise your harrowing description of your dad's final illness too. My mum spent her last six weeks in hospital after suffering a massive stroke due to a bad reaction between medications that the doctors had been unaware could happen, but I later found out they should have known about, so I was angry about that and about the fact that I had trusted them to know what they were doing and did not check myself that that combination of drugs was safe before this happened to her. I look back on those weeks as the weeks of hospital horror as they put her through endless xrays and tests and procedures and put tubes down her throat to feed her through her nose and did horrid tests to measure brain activity etc and remained so pessimistic in outlook, dismissing the signs of improvement that myself and my brother observed as she began to recover from the stroke. It was her heart that gave out in the end and she passed away soon after I had gone home for a short rest after spending four nights in a row with her as I felt I could not trust the night staff to look after her properly. Oddly, although it broke my heart to know I wasn't there when she died and felt guilty about that, I did feel relief that at least she wasn't suffering anymore. So I do understand the pain you felt of what your dad went through before he passed away caused you and can only imagine how hard it must have been to have to watch those last moments.

The next thing that strikes me about your story however, is that you say that after the funeral, things went back to normal. I think that is a mistake lots of people who have never experienced a close loss before make, because, as you indicate and I know, you don't go back to normal and never can go back to the same normal you knew before it happened. You are left with a new 'normal' that you would not have wanted and do not know what to do with. Birthdays, happy days in the past, become tinged with sadness and pain, because the person you have lost is no longer there to share them. Their own birthdays become days to take flowers to the cemetry and fight back the tears and recall sadly the last happy one you spent with them. New anniversaries stick in your mind and become days you dread; the first day your lost loved one fell ill; passed away; was buried etc. Normal holidays like Christmas and new year that everyone around you is celebrating and that you would have looked forward to in the past, become hard to face and hard to get through and painful days to bear that you dread arriving and don't know how best to deal with. In short, the world is turned on it's head and nothing is ever as it was again and neither are you. It's a new existence and a different life and new 'normal', where you have to build a new life for yourself and get to know the new you this terrible experience has made of you. You have to be gentle and patient with yourself as you do that and gradually work at finding ways to combat the pain you have inside you all the time. It can be done, but you do have to work at it. It doesn't get better on its own.

I found lots of little strategies that help me. I found it helped to have flowers around to remind me there were still beautiful things in the world and things worth living for. I found it helped to walk in the park and sit on a bench in that calm lovely place to help me feel calm and try to process all that had happened. It helped to see the benches that people had placed there in memory of those they had lost with their messages of love and remembrance on them and, at Christmas, often with little bunches of flowers left on them too, no doubt by the people who still remembered and missed and loved them still so many years later. It helped me to know that that love does not die and that people do find ways to live with loss and keep moving forward in a positive way.

The other thing I have learned is that you don't get over loss. You can't 'move on'. Instead you find ways to move forward; to learn to accept what has happened and you have to work at building your new life in your altered circumstances. In your case, with a disabled mum and sister to worry about, that will be harder for you. I am on my own, so I only have me to worry about now, but after my dad died 34 years ago, I remember the fear, anxiety, panic even of knowing me and my mum were on our own now. I have a brother, but he is married and lives quite  a distance away, so we didn't see him very often. My mum suffered from a heart condition all her life, so I knew I would have to be the one to help her from then on; take her to hospital appointments; look after her in the middle of the night when she was unwell etc. It was daunting and I remember going into the garden, shortly after my dad had died, to work out what I was going to do and accepting, at that moment, that this was going to have to be my role from then on and that I would not be able to live with myself in later years unless I knew, looking back, in the future, that I had done my best to do that for the rest of her life. So I had a plan. I used that strategy again when I lost my mum.

Like you, i went through a time of not feeling like life had any meaning anymore. I think that is the shock of losing someone and your world being turned upside down and I also knew that I wasn't going to feel any better unless I worked at it. I had good days and bad ones for about six months after she died, culminating in a week of complete panic when I could not stop crying and felt in a complete panic about the future. I knew I had to do something, so I started by making a plan, as I did after dad died. I made a list of longer term goals and shorter term priorities I had to deal with. That helped me feel I had some control over my life again and almost two years on it is still standing me in good stead. I also knew I needed to do something to get me out of the house and help me engage with life again in some way, otherwise I was just sitting at home getting more and more dragged down by my grief and just going through the motions at work and my life was empty, so I joined a class in a subject my mum had loved too and that was the best thing I could have done. I still go regularly now. It took me out of myself, got me out of the house a couple of times a week, made me think about something else for  couple of hours a week and gave me something to look forward to. I made a few new friends there who understood how I was feeling having gone through losses themselves and that made me feel less alone too. And I had some fun, which counterbalanced the misery I was feeling and gave me some relief from the pain I was in and still does.

The other thing that has helped was to make a photo album of pictures of my mum, so I had something to look at to evoke better memories of my time with her and to keep a journal of my thoughts and feelings each day. That's something you might try. I don't know, but wonder if you felt better at all after writing your story here. I find the act of writing things down helps you work out your own feelings and gets them out of your system a bit. It's worth a try.

I do know the impatience you feel with your wife and your dog. I think these are normal parts of grief. I remember feeling very impatient with people's petty concerns at work and just wanting to shout at them that these things don't matter in comparison to having been bereaved and had your life fall apart around you and yourself fall apart inside. But people don't understand until they have been through it themselves. So if your wife is trying to help, try not to push her away. It does help to talk and you shouldn't be afraid to talk to her. It will help you both, I think. You have to treasure those close to you because now you know what loss is and how you will likely feel if ever you lose someone else and know that you did anything less than make every moment with them precious and as good as it could be whilst you still had the chance.

I think perhaps you are right to put off the next round of ivf until things are a little better and they will get better, if you work at it. IVF is stressful enough without the added strain of trying to deal with grief at the same time and that is what you are doing. You are simply grieving.The anger, the feeling that life has no meaning anymore, the fear of acknowledging and talking about what you are feeling, they are all symptoms of grief and we all go through them. You are not alone.

Grief counselling can help, and there are no expectations or demands on you for giving it a try. Your wife is right and it is probably worth a try. It wasn't for me, so I didn't try, but I have always been quite independent and preferred to find my own way to deal with things, so in a way, the class I go to is what I look on as my therapy. I have a bit of a joke with that with some of the other people who go and use it as their therapy session too! We dance, by the way. I go ballroom and latin dancing. My mum loved dancing but for many years was too breathless to do it due to her heart condition, so now I feel like I am doing it for both of us and that she would approve. When I go out, I say to her picture, 'come on mum, you come too, you'd enjoy it!' Good job there's no one there to hear! They'd probably think I was nuts, but it feels ok to me.

And that's the thing. You have to find things that help you and work to make yourself feel better and sometimes you will succeed and sometimes you won't. There will be good days and bad, but with a journal, you can read over how you were feeling this time a month or a year ago and see that you have made progress. Acceptance is the key, I think. Once you have accepted that this awful thing has happened and that you are never going to put it behind you and you are living in a new and different existence, you can find ways to make that work for you and to be able to live with it. The person you have lost will always be in your heart and in your memories, so they will never really leave you and at times when you have some kind of dilemma, you will still be able to hear in your head the advice they would have given you, so you will never really lose them. You will find ways to take them forward with you into your future and the lesson to learn is that you still have your life and still have other loved ones around you that you need to cherish while you can. You also have a life to live so that you will have some interesting things to tell the one you have lost when you eventually meet again.

It is a difficult journey with ups and downs from day to day, but slowly it gets easier. The other thing you learn is that living with it is something you will be learning to do for the rest of your life and that the life you had before it happened and the you you were then will never be as they were again. Grief and loss reach into every corner of your life and yourself and change everything for ever going forward and change you, so it is a period of adjustment and it is hard, so it takes effort and trial and error to find your way forward.

There is no time limit and no right way or wrong way to deal with it. Alcohol does not help. Crying does. Talking does. Planning does. Dwelling on the last days and weeks doesn't. Acceptance helps. Time helps. Walking amongst nature helps. Thinking helps as long as you are processing what you have experienced and not drowning in all the misery of it. It does get better, but you have to be patient with yourself and with those around you as you work through it. Counselling and support groups can help, but it's ok if they don't too. You just have to try and find what works for you.

Keep talking to us here, if it helps. We are here for as long as you need us. You are not alone. We do understand here.

Good luck, Westy2K. Sending you an understanding hug.  :hug:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 11:53:46 AM »
I agree with Charlotte  bereavement counselling might help and it is something you could share with your wife - or do on your own initially as you may find you still cannot express everything you want to when she is there - but be open with her tell her you are going for grief counselling and some of what is said  that you can express - because expressing it too a stanger the first time may help you express it to her later.

From her viewpoint it isnt unusual for some-one to come here asking how they can support their bereaved partner because it isnt an easy thing to live with - they want to help but dont know how - she had the IVF to deal with and all that stuff that goes with it but i wouldnt give up on your relationship yet - she clearly loves you but she will also be struggling, because the sure etys in her life - you - has changed she wants to help you but cant reach you if that makes sense.

Finding counselling can take time  but there are things you can do before that coming here was one of them -Anger is a normal part of grief and finding how to express that in a way that doesnt hurt others is the key - not expressing it at all, not affirming it but allowing it to build up until you cant stop that explosion is what causes problems sometimes we dont even realise we are feeling anger until it comes out that way.

People here have found visiting a bottle bank - smashing glass legitamately and safely can be therapeutic - i have a hill behind my house and walking up it as fast as i can means anger is dissipated before i get to the top i am too tired to be physically angry and being outside in nature is mentally soothing as well. - and again writing - express it in words because sometimes you dont even know what is creating the feelings your mind gets this red fog - but writing makes you put it into some kind of logical order - you have to make a sentance - you have to structure it somehow - and in building that structure, reading it back and editing you start to understand yourself and what is going on better.
I wrote here a lot because you also start to recognise in peoples replys that you are not as alone as you think and because again you are explaining to some-one else so have to create some kind of order and structure or it wouldnt make sense too them helps you - death is something which we cannot control we feel helpless the foundations move from under our feet we are standing in quick sand everything is out of control even though on the surface often we appear to be coping. Writing and creating structure for thoughts and emotions can give us back some semblance of control where it is possible to have some, and can leave you feeling less vulnerable.