Author Topic: Strange symptoms. Is it grief?  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Kazzy

Strange symptoms. Is it grief?
« on: May 29, 2019, 09:12:47 AM »
Hi all. Thank you for reading this. I lost my mum in January and have had all the 'normal ' feelings of grief . However over the last 4 weeks I have been suffering with terrible ' brain fog' . This is do debilitating.  You can't think straight, memory is just awful . I just wondered if anyone else has or has had this and what helps. Thanks all. ❤

Offline Dave Administrator

• Dave
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • BUK Founder
Re: Strange symptoms. Is it grief?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 03:59:48 PM »
Hi Kazzy

Welcome to the group.

Bereavement can cause just about anything you can imagine, and brain fog as you call it is definitely on the list.

I guess what you have to remember is the huge impact on your mindset loosing a loved one can have on you, and that takes time to heal.

Being nearly 6 months since you lost your Mum, the numbness that sort of protects us in the beginning wears off, and the mind from being on shut down goes into normal mode and this is something that's not always easy to cope with hence all the symptoms you are feeling right now.

Don't let it concern you too much Kazzy because all these things usually pass given time, but if you are concerned something else maybe happening, then a visit to the doctors to put your mind at ease is not a bad idea.
Take care and please keep posting however small or large you can manage, we need them.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 03:50:43 PM »
I went through a period of brain fog after losing my husband so it certainly isnt uncommon and as Dave says,its as though the brain does go into some kind of shock for the first few weeks, we know what has happened but we are also organising things, my theory is, that when we are doing that its like we are still caring for them,and when its done suddely we dont know how to cope with not having anything more to do - and thats when we start to really grieve, and the brain fog is somehow trying to protect us by only letting a little bit of what our emotions are doing in at a time.Physically our emotions are an intrinsic part of how our brain functions and to suddenly be hit by so many and such extreme ones, there is probably something like a shut down valve operating. I distinctly do remeber setting off to walk to work and actually seeing a mist, maybe a real one or maybe not but through the mist people were going about their normal day and i wondered just for a moment if it was me who had died.
As Dave said there is no harming checking it out with your GP though if nothing else to reassure yourself,  it could be something hormonal thats going on as well and hiding under the grief, a blood test would probably find out.

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 01:52:53 PM »
Hello Kazzy,

I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. I lost mine in October 2017 and I think Karena is right. We struggle through those first months trying to deal with all the practical stuff whilst crying on the inside as well as on the outside a lot of the time. It's a strain and an effort to focus on what needs to be done. As you gradually get through that, thoughts of loss come more to the fore and occupy your consciousness taking your concentration away from the mundane everyday things, so it seems like your memory is worse, but really you are just not focused on daily tasks and the world around you, but on your feelings of grief and loss.

I would say that it does pass as it must, as you return to life, going to work, looking after the family, cooking for them or whatever, but I find even now, when I have problems worrying me or something difficult to deal with, I still feel irritated and have this sense of those things not really being important when it comes down to it. They just weigh me down and make me feel worse because of my own on-going grief and upset. I am more vulnerable because of that and more upset by daily upsets than I would have been before I lost my mum. And brain fog? Well it still persists when I have a lot on my mind. I went to work in odd shoes yesterday and only noticed at lunch-time!  :rofl: Good job I was wearing trousers and so it didn't notice too much!

Do see your doctor if you are worried or it is causing you real problems or worrying you. You have enough to worry about without that added concern.

Hugs to you, Kazzy!  :hearts: :hug:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 01:54:55 PM by Sandra61 »