Author Topic: Still think he’s coming home  (Read 2731 times)

Offline MizzyG

Still think he’s coming home
« on: September 02, 2019, 08:11:15 AM »
I lost my partner of over 30 years ago 15 weeks today and I’m really struggling. I think it’s now that realisation has kicked in and I’m feeling the finality of it. He used to work away on business for 3-4 weeks at a time so when I see his car outside I still think he will be coming home is this normal? Feeling so lost at the moment and don’t like this new life my Daughter who is 22 seems to be coping so well but I just can’t see past the current day absolutely heart broken

Offline Charlotte

Re: Still think he’s coming home
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 12:54:47 PM »
It’s 13 weeks for me now - and it is harder than at the beginning because now you know that it really is final - that the person you live has gone forever. My advice would be to get all the help you can. If you have really good friends who will just be there for you, then go out for a drink or a coffee with them. If not, then talk to your doctor. I’m seeing a bereavement therapist, and it does help. Don’t shut yourself off from people, even if it seems really hard not to. Your daughter is coping in her own way, and you need to find yours. I find it better if I get out of the house every day. I’m lucky because I have a great job and lovely colleagues, but even then it isn’t always easy. Be honest with people - you don’t have to put on a brave face. In time, try to do things you used to enjoy - just small things. And talk to your daughter about how you are feeling, when my father died, I had no idea what my mother was going through.  Luckily ours was a company car and I was so glad when I got rid of it, while it was still there I somehow expected Nico to be around somewhere. It’s perfectly normal to feel like you do. Wishing you much courage. Charlotte

Offline MizzyG

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 01:41:31 PM »
Thanks Charlotte it’s just so hard it’s 15 weeks today and I just sit here crying miss him so much he was so healthy and it was so sudden so no time to prepare or say goodbye. I’m back at the doctors tomorrow so will ask for some help. Friends and family seem to have moved on and expect me to do too thank you for your advice thinking of you and sending strength x

Offline Charlotte

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 03:27:58 PM »
Nico died very suddenly too and that makes it much harder to deal with. Your doctor will understand. Also, you can speak to someone at Cruse, the bereavement charity. Grief has its own timetable and although others may want us to ‘move on’ because it’s more convenient, that’s not how it works. Thinking of you.

Charlotte

Offline MizzyG

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 06:41:16 PM »
Thanks take care of yourself and keep in touch x

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 09:44:30 AM »
Hi Mizzy,

I really dislike that phrase 'move on'. It's so cold and unfeeling. Besides, how do you 'move on' when your life has been thrown into turmoil and turned upside down? And you certainly can't do it within the space of a few weeks. It will be two years since I lost my mum in October and thirty four years since I lost my dad and I still don't feel like I have moved on from either loss. I still talk to my mum and dad's pictures each day and tell them about my day. Sounds a bit mad perhaps, but it still seems like a normal thing to do to me, to keep on talking to them. They may be gone from this life, but they are not gone from my consciousness and I still think of them and miss them every day.

From dreams I have had, I feel as if they have sadly moved on to the next phase of existence, whatever that may be, but for myself, I tend to look at my life as going forward, not moving on. We don't ever really recover from a close loss. We will never be the person we were before it happened and our world will never be the same either. Everything is different and we just have to look for ways to make it better for ourselves; find things that help us get through each day; make our lives work for us; give us some pleasure in life and reasons to keep going. I think it takes time to work out what those may be, but as time passes, you do find yourself looking at how you can fill your time in ways that still make life meaningful and give you something to look forward to. It's a new phase of our existence too, so you have to work out what you want that to be like and start to work on creating it.

It is still early days for you Mizzy. I think Charlotte has summed up well all the things to try that might help best at this stage, so I would endorse that. It is a slow process to find your way into this new life that you did not ask for or expect to be faced with, so just take it slowly and look on it as an evolving process. You will probably never 'move on', because you will never stop missing the person and the life you have lost, but you have to move forward into the next phase of your life whether you like it or not, so you have to work out how to do that and do it without leaving the person you have lost behind, because, even though they are gone, you can't do that either. They will always be in your heart and your head, so you have to take them with you into that new life. I think that is as it should be anyway. You will never forget them, so how can you leave them behind? I think so many people, especially if they have not been through it themselves, just don't understand this, but you can move forward, slowly and with difficulty. It will be a matter of trial and error as you find out what helps and what suits you, but it can be done.

I think the loss of a father is a different experience to the loss of a husband, so I am not surprised to hear that you say your daughter seems to be coping well. She may not be coping as well as you think. I remember when my dad died, I felt I could not talk about it for a long time or talk about him. I wasn't much  help to my mother at the time really, as she felt she needed to talk about him and I found it too painful, so we each had to find our way forward ourselves. Time did improve that and we were able to talk about him more easily in the years that followed. Outward appearances though do not necessarily reflect what is going on inside, so it might be worth trying to talk to one another about your differing experiences of the same loss.

I think we all put on a bit of a 'front' after a loss and try to appear that we are doing better than we are and others willingly accept that, as people find it so hard to know what to say to someone who is newly bereaved. They feel embarrassed and lost for something to say to us, so we tend to say we are OK when we are not to save them the trouble. I don't think you do ever get over it. You just learn to live with it and you move forward in your own life, because you don't have a choice, but I don't think you 'move on'. It is always there in your consciousness, you just learn to get through the day with it there.

At least we here understand that, Mizzy. Talking does help, so keep talking to us.  :hearts: :hug:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 11:09:20 AM »
I agree with Sandra moving on implies leaving them behind but how can we ever really do that when that person is part of us and who we are moving forward is a better term because for me it says not cutting them off but finding ways to take them forward with us in a different way,even just through our memorys we know what they would have done and how they would have reacted to a circumstance and refference it in how we cope with it.
Mizzy yes it is normal to think they are coming back or it didnt happen and it was all a mistake,  i have been widowed twice and it has happened both times the second time i had to move house -and i found myself hanging his dressing gown on the back of the bedroom door and telling myself he was working abroad, even thinking thanks a bunch for leaving all the hard work of moving to me - then i thought maybe i was deranged - because of course i knew it wasnt true,  but with hindsight i think it is just our brains way of shielding us just for a moment from the reality, and our brains are well designed so do that for a reason, maybe if it didnt then we would overload it - in the same way we wake up from sleep know something is wrong instantly but there is a tiny pause before the reality of what that is overwhelms us again. :hug:

Offline MizzyG

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 11:39:06 AM »
Thank you for all your support and words it helps just early days but taking small steps x