Author Topic: A place I really don’t want to be in  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Dij

A place I really don’t want to be in
« on: August 21, 2019, 01:22:55 PM »
New to this group, I know it’s a place nobody really wants to be in. Dave my husband died 12th July 2019, 13 months after being diagnosed with metastatic prostrate cancer, on the whole you wouldn’t have known he was ill, and I honestly thought he would die of old age, as the hospital first said, he sailed through chemo, finished early dec, but in January he started being in a lot of pain, frequently going to hospital for pain relief and chest infections, only last time in went in 3 days before he died, they didn’t know where the infection was, ended up doing scan, and were told it had spread to his brain, they said he only had days, when in fact he only lasted hours, feel so bad, as I didn’t stay the night with him, and he passed away early hours. Life is pretty bleak now, know it’s early days, but can’t see much of a live without him. He was my world and always will be

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: A place I really don’t want to be in
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 09:08:46 AM »
So sorry, Di.  :hug:

It does feel like that for a while. It's a huge shock when you lose anyone so close, especially so unexpectedly and so quickly. I know I questioned whether there was any point in going on after my mum died. I felt I had lost my purpose in life and it was hard to find anything to live for again, but slowly you do find ways to move forward.

I think loss is so final and so painful that it just floors you for a long while and makes everything seem pointless. But in time, you can find things that help you move forward. I found it helped to look at practical problems first and write down a plan to deal with those, which almost two years on, I am still following and that makes me feel I still have some control over my life, which at the time my mum died, I felt I lost for a long while. Then I began thinking about what I could do to help myself feel better and it was just little things at first, keeping a journal of how I was feeling each day and what I was thinking about. It helped alleviate the guilt and pain to write it down. It helped get it out of my system and I did feel better after doing that.

Like you, I left to come home for a rest the day my mum died. I had stayed with her all night for four nights in a row, so that she wouldn't be alone, but she died within two hours of my leaving, so like you, I felt terribly guilty for going and it still upsets me now, but you run out of energy and get exhausted and in my case, that happened at just the wrong time. In your case, it sounds like the doctors got it wrong and you were expecting to have more time than you thought to spend with Dave before he passed away. You mustn't blame yourself for that, Di. Things just happen as they do. We all try our best to do what we can in those last days, but events are unpredictable and things we don't expect do happen. We do our best with the knowledge we have at the time. Things just don't always work out the way we would have liked.

Although, I am told that sometimes our loved ones seem to wait for us to leave as they don't want to go while we are there. Perhaps that would be too painful for them, but I am told it is a common occurrence, for whatever reason. So perhaps that was your husband's choice. Perhaps it was my mum's, but like you, I wish I had been there and always will.

I also put flowers around the house as it lifted my spirits a little to see their beauty and smell their scent. Walking in the park also helped. It was a calm and lovely place to sit and try to process all that had happened and still helps now.

I think you do have to employ lots of little such strategies in the early days, just to help you get through the day. You won't feel like it, but you must also try to eat and drink enough, as you will only feel worse if you don't take care of yourself.

One day at a time, Di. Slowly the light comes back into your life and this phase of not being able to see any point in going on passes, but it will take small such efforts on your part to help yourself a bit. Tiny steps, every day until it starts to get better. Sending you a warm hug. xx  :hug:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:19:35 PM by Sandra61 »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 02:28:44 PM »
 My husband died from a stroke and it has been a rough journey to get too a point where i could function and an even longer to one where i can create a life of some kind for myself. I still miss him i always will but in a different way i take him with me rather than move on. being here helped me to make those steps and not give up when they became backward ones.

Guilt is a part of this journey probably all of us here have felt, because we find a way to do that in all circumstances.

When my mum died a few years earlier she had been  expected to live a few more weeks, the palliative care team spoke of a visit to a hospice to see if she wanted to go there "nearer the time" , they spoke of my daughters baby being born as something she was looking forward too and may see, but she had gone within days of that conversation. It is a shock but  i think at any point with an illness like cancer, even to the last minute we have a spark of hope that its a mistake in diagnosis or there will be a last minute cure, I think maybe its our brains way of allowing us to function and care for them as well while our world is turned upside down -so its always a shock anyway.
The day she died,she insisted i go home early as the hospital was some distance and it was driving snow - she then died before i had even got there.
No one was there, the nurse found her when she went to take her tea - so they certainly wernt expecting it either -
But I  felt so guilty about doing as she said by leaving when i did, over the years there were plenty of times i didnt obey my mother but this time i did, and  she had died alone as a result.
I also think maybe there is a chance she chose the time in some way maybe because she didnt want me driving home in distress in those conditions, i really dont know,  but the nurses also said it is something they see happen quite often.
I  have had the internal conversation with myself over if it is the case, whether i would have done the same   if it was me with one of my daughters would i be so brave  and honestly i dont know because i dont know whether it was the right decision or me either but she cant have anticipated that  - so i dont know whether it would be best for them. But i do respect if it was her decision to make, there is no doubt if she did ,then she made it out of love, and in time, knowing that is greater than my feelings of guilt. Those feelings do fade over time. :hug:

Offline MizzyG

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 04:40:05 PM »
Hi I know exactly how you are feeling I lost my partner of 30 years suddenly just over 14 weeks ago - I’m trying to make him proud by looking after his garden which he loved when I do this I feel very close to him. Nothing has changed in the house and I talk to him all the time asking him for strength and guidance and to show me he is still here with me. Our 22 year old Daughter found her Dad and she is my reason for going on He didn’t have a choice and we do which is what she keeps telling me it’s very early days for us both sending you love and strength x