Author Topic: the house is so quiet  (Read 2527 times)

Offline mavis

• New Members
the house is so quiet
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:22:05 PM »
hello my name is mavis , I lost my husband 2 weeks ago to cancer and I feel so alone , the house is so quiet and I find myself just wandering from one room to another , how do people cope with the loneliness

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: the house is so quiet
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 12:22:51 AM »
Hello Mavis,

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your husband. It is still very early days for you, so I am not at all surprised to read that you are finding coping with being on your own at home now such a change and so difficult to bear. You are probably still in shock and are in a bit of a daze. I know I was for quite a long while after I lost my mum. That was almost two years ago now and I am slowly getting more accustomed to it, but it is not easy. The house still feels very empty without her in it. I have her pictures around and I still talk to those most days and tell her about my day. It may sound mad, but it seems to help!

I think all you can do at such an early point and while the weather is still good, is get out for walks in the park  or sit in the garden, if you have one, and try to absorb and process all that has happened. I found it calming and comforting to spend time sitting in my local park trying to recover a little and work out what I was going to do next. It is a change of life and an unwelcome one, to lose someone so close to you and the effects reach into every corner of your world, so you will have lots to learn to deal with and being in alone is one of them, sadly.

I find it helps to switch on a radio or the TV for background sound and having flowers around helped lift my spirits a little and reminded me that there are still good things in the world. I also spent time collecting some of my favourite photos of my mum and it also helped to keep a journal of how I was feeling and what I was thinking about each day. It helped to write it down and got it out of my system a bit. If you have offers from friends or family to go out for a coffee or something, that can help break up the day a bit too and get you out of the house and it is good to talk to someone, so do try to take up any such offers.

Later on, when you are a little further along this journey, you will find other things to occupy you as you slowly try to pick up the pieces and build a new life for yourself. I joined a class in a subject my mother also enjoyed and found some new friends there and it helped too in that it got me out of the house a couple of times a week and gave me something to look forward to and that made me focus on something other than my loss for a while each week, which did me good. I am sure others will be able to make more useful suggestions too.

I think though, that if you can manage to deal with the everyday chores and remember to eat and drink properly, that will be quite enough at this stage.

Sending you an understanding hug.  :hug:

Offline mavis

• New Members
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »
thank you for that , I am clearing out unwanted items and anything els I can think to do to fill my day , I don't want to go out in case I meet somebody who wants to talk about my husband , I don't thing I can cope with that right now and wonder if it will get easier in time

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 08:41:45 AM »
Hello Mavis,

I felt like that when my dad died in 1985. I didn't want to talk about him at all. That has changed over time and I can talk about him easily now, if anyone ever asks!

It's interesting how differently everyone copes. Some, like you, prefer to be active, others, like me, can't find any enthusiasm even to make a cup of tea or get dressed! That stage passed for me eventually too and I can get on with daily life much as normal now, so I suspect you will get past this phase of not wanting to talk about your husband with anyone. It is so painful for quite a while that you sometimes can't. My mum had the opposite reaction to my dad's passing and needed to talk about him, which was difficult for us as I felt I couldn't.

You just have to do whatever helps, I think, so if you don't want to talk about him, that is fine, and if you want to be clearing stuff out at home, that is fine too. We all react differently in this situation, so you just have to do whatever works for you.

Take your time, Mavis. As you probably know already, this is a long difficult path to walk and whatever you can do to help yourself get through it is oK. You just have to keep going.  :hearts:

Offline mavis

• New Members
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 11:00:26 AM »
this is almost four weeks after he died and I feel more weepy now than I did at the start , I have locked myself in the house and don't want to see anybody , I am staying in my bedroom and not wanting to eat or even go make a coffee , is it normal to have this reaction now I had hoped to be feeling better but that's not the case

Offline Jill

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 07:13:37 PM »
Hello Mavis,  I just wanted to offer you my sympathy and support, hope it helps.  I am going through the same thing, my husband died almost five weeks ago and I cry every day as I miss him so much.  When I meet people I seem quite normal as I put on my happy face and getting on with things but the people here know that's not the real truth.  I feel I can 'spill my guts' on here, if you will excuse the crude expression and I am among people who REALLY UNDERSTAND what it is like.  I think of it as accepting the unacceptable.  I went for a walk by the canal today and found getting out of the house helped a bit.  Don't expect too much of yourself and be as kind to yourself as you can possibly be at this time.  Hope things get a bit better for you soon, just take one day at a time,  all the best Jill.

Offline mavis

• New Members
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 08:16:51 PM »
thank you for that Jill, yes lets hope we can help each other in this miserable time , if I have to go out I go early in the morning so that there is less likelihood of meeting anybody seeing as I don't want to speak to anybody just yet , I tell myself its because it is easier to park early but that's not the truth , my husband died of cancer and my son also has cancer and he is not doing very well either , life is cruel don't you think ,

Offline Jill

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 08:20:04 AM »
Hi Mavis,  I just want to say that I am very sorry to hear your son has cancer as well.  As you say life is very cruel.  When people ask you how you are they usually just want you to say 'I am fine thank you, how are you?'  Most people don't really want to know the truth.  At times like this, you find out who your real friends are.  And it's not necessarily who you would expect either.  My husband's grown up children have kept in touch regularly all the time and we have been able to help each other through this to some extent.  At least I hope I have helped them, I care and that's what counts.  I do rant on a bit but that's what this site is for isn't it?  One thing I have learned to do is just let myself cry when I need to, even if it is a public place, I wear sunglasses anyway!  Anyway keep in touch Mavis, I understand.  Jill x