Author Topic: I tried to save my mums life  (Read 1969 times)

Offline HLK1987

I tried to save my mums life
« on: August 17, 2019, 08:01:23 AM »
Hi,

My mum suffered a sudden cardiac arrest early hours of Sunday morning. We were on our first day of a family holiday and camping in a rural location. My mum called me to go and see her and said she felt unwell (I am a nurse and she wanted advice). She seemed unwell but nothing too severe, but she said she wasn’t sure if she needed to go to hospital. For my mum to have said that I knew she must have been suffering as she never complains of being ill. We had all had a drink so I called an ambulance. I watched my mum suddenly become very unwell. I was aware she was probably having a heart attack and was watching her like a hawk. The ambulance that was supposed to take 18 minutes took 40 minutes to arrive, by which time I was having to perform CPR on my mum. A single paramedic arrived in a car as she was the only person available, she alerted the radio that it was a cardiac arrest and asked for more assistance. I had to be the paramedics second pair of hands. I performed CPR for over an hour on my mum, giving her oxygen and having to suction her secretions. The second paramedic eventually arrived and after 10 minutes or so he took over from me and the decision was made nothing more could be done shortly after. Obviously I immediately felt pain and grief. I had a sore on my hand from doing CPR on the pad they had applied to my mums chest which is slowly healing. I am also aching from the effort I put in to try save my mums life. I went to go say goodbye to my mum with my siblings, I am so pleased I did as my last memory of my mum was not great. Yet I feel no grief or real sadness. I’ve never lost a loved one before, but feel like I can carry on life as normal. We don’t yet have a date for the funeral. I’ve seen the death certificate and the coroner said no matter what intervention we tried she would not have survived. She was only in her 50s, so very young. I don’t feel I’m normal at the moment in regards to my feelings. Surely I should feel sad, be upset? But I’m able to laugh, joke, be intimate with my partner etc with no worries. Is it normal just to accept it straight away or am I in some random zone where it will hit me like a sledgehammer?

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: I tried to save my mums life
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 10:12:51 AM »
Hello BLK1987,

Welcome to this site and I am so sorry to hear about your mum.   :hug:  I am also very impressed to hear how well you handled such a terrible situation.  I'm sorry you had to do that, but I suspect it will be a comfort to you to be able to know that you did all you could and that the coroner has told you that the outcome was inevitable. So many of us have to live with the 'what ifs' and I think that causes pain in itself, so you will likely have less of that.

Having said that, I work with a nurse, who also felt able to carry on as normal and separate her work life from  her feelings surrounding the news of the death of her father. Her situation was different in that she was not present when he passed away, but like you felt she would be able to carry on. However, as in my own case, when my father died, we both felt it hit us at the funeral and for her, after that it slowly got worse and she did experience the 'sledgehammer' effect about a week after that and went to pieces.

So, I understand your questioning the fact that you are coping well with this at present, but I suspect that will not last and at some point the shock will hit you and then the grief will suddenly kick in.  It could be that your training is protecting you to some extent at the moment, but I would not expect that to last. Losing someone so close is a huge shock to the system and imposes a huge change on your life, so it will probably hit you at some point. I doubt there is much you can do to prepare yourself for that. Just be gentle and kind to yourself when it does.

Keep talking to us here. I did find it a comfort and reassurance to have the understanding and experience of others to rely on here, which made me feel less alone and a little less anxious about what I was going through as a result. Grief is an up and down unpredictable journey of indefinite length and however bad it gets, it does get a little better as time goes on. It is very early days for you still, so don't be fooled by the calm you feel now. It could just be the calm before the storm, but remember too, that calm follows a storm too, so it does improve in time.

Best wishes to you and your family.  :hearts:

Offline HLK1987

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 03:15:37 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I spend most of the day going over the events and then questioning myself as to why I’m not upset about what happened. I’m starting a new job the week following the expected date of the funeral and it’s a year long intense course at uni. I’ve left my old job so technically unemployed. I can’t miss much of the course or I will be too far behind. It’s so intense and I can’t afford to not be in work. I have not long be signed off work for anxiety, which is one of the reasons I’m having a complete change of patient group and dynamics in work. My daughter is also asking me questions and I worry about her. We only saw my mum a couple of times a year but being on holiday when it happened has been tough. We have just moved in with my partner, she is about to start her fourth school in just 3 years so she already has so much to contend with. She said she feels like she can’t be sad in front of anyone except myself and my partner as she doesn’t want to have to explain etc. She does appear to be doing ok overall and as the days go on she mentions it less. Just a difficult time I guess.
Thnk you for your well wishes.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 12:33:51 PM »
WE are all different, our relationship with the person we lost is not the same as those around us and we greive in different ways from I think everyone does go into some kind of shock phase after something like this and as Sandra said perhaps your professional head is still in place because of that. Also i think its our brains way of protecting us to not allow us to feel the full impact in one instant hit.
We sometimes deal with it by a means of distraction - in a way the funeral itself does this, making arrangements, chosing music, flowers etc - its almost as though we are arranging a  party for them and they will be present as normal - we know its not the case of course but are in a way thinking in those terms, what would they like -what music to pick how do we make the guests comfortable, feed them etc.  After that sometimes there can be complex paperwork and sorting stuff out which defers things a bit longer then suddenly when  it seems there is nothing left to do but grieve it hits us again.

Stating your uni course will help in a lot of ways, give you a new purpose and focus your mind elsewhere but its still really important to take time for grief too, otherwise there is a risk we simply dont move beyond denial and defer grief sometimes people do this for years and that can add to things like anxiety and depression .
However I suspect from your post you are already feeling anxiety that the sledgehammer will prevent you doing that but that doesnt have to be the case, your mum would have been proud of you considering doing it and to continue forward with it can be in a way a tribute too her as well as yourself of course.

There is a lot of expectation that there is a predicted pattern and a time and a grief process which is set - because as humans we like slots, and as a nurse perhaps dealing with physical or mental illness this is also something you expect, The grief theorys are not totally wrong but the order and the time period they suggest is one that fits into a pattern which isnt the reality of most peoples experiences.There are also some societal expectations which we dont match either.
Some people think grief stops with the funeral others after a year (because of some victorian values based on practicalities and outmoded ideas of decency and not reality at all)
It is almost as if you try and file case notes over and over again but some-one keeps sneaking in getting them out and throwing them all over the floor, so its a bit of a roller coaster of a journey.

When it does change from how you feel now, and it probably will, talking to your daughter will help both of you and its important to do so and also to let her see that it is fine to be sad, often when we are trying to be strong for others especially the young we mask our own feelings and teach them without trying too that our feelings are wrong or cant be expressed. Creating a memory box together is helpful as sifting through photos or things to put in there and sharing the stories around those things helps you focus on a whole life lived rather that its ending.

Coming here helped me a lot,and i hope we can help you as well, just having somewhere to write and knowing others have experienced some of the same things and you are not losing the plot can make such a difference and we will be here as long as you need us.

Offline MizzyG

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 04:48:02 PM »
My 22 year old daughter found her dad at home when he suffered a massive heart attack and she had to call 999 and get a neighbour to administer CPR they recovered him and then he went again with her holding his hand - this was only 14 weeks ago and I’m worried because she is coping so well so it’s comforting to know that you are the same. She has told me that because she was with her Dad she has accepted it whilst I wasn’t I was at work thinking about you and sending strength and love to you. X