Author Topic: very complicated!  (Read 2124 times)

Offline rjm2k1

very complicated!
« on: September 30, 2019, 10:45:50 AM »
lost my dad around 5months ago now, he had survived several cancers over a number of years, but a blood cancer was what finally led to his death in hospital one way or another.

his care in hospital was to say the least not acceptable,we have been through the initial process of being fobbed off by an "investigation" and response via pals that simply added insult to injury.  now they are taking it more seriously after I went through his records with a fine tooth comb and raised many concerns.

not sure if we've really come to terms with the death because the focus has been on getting answers out of the hospital.

i've found the lack of peer support groups for those who have gone through the incident process quite surprising given the increase in the number of incidents these days, there are general bereavement groups, law firms and advocacy organisations, but nobody who knows what it's like going through all that on a personal level.  incidents don't always lead to death either, injury or no harm can be the outcome, but still, no groups it seems

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: very complicated!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 12:32:38 PM »
No, I think you are pretty much on your own with things like that. I had a similar experience with my mum when she died, also in hospital. It just makes everything even harder to bear. In my case, mum suffered quite a lot in hospital and I did feel some of it could have been avoided. Then, even after she was gone, the reaction to myself and my brother when we asked very simple questions was dismissive and led to us making a formal complaint. It doesn't help the person you have lost, but the hope it will help others in future. I do sympathise. Sending you a hug.  :hug:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 11:01:43 AM »
that happened to me too i still have questions over my mum and my husband in his case the way he was seemingly written off but in my mums case in light of what came out later about a nurse at that particualar hospital and  thinking back about the questions we were asked when registering her death there - which has not happened before or since -with hindsight as though there were already suspicions about what was going on.
I have learned to accept they will not be answered but that doesnt mean you shouldnt try to persue it in dads case.

Offline Janlmb

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 04:45:08 PM »
Really sorry to hear about what has happened.  Unfortunately my experience is that the medical profession and hospitals "close ranks" on these occasions and it is rare for anyone to make them own up to their errors.  I know it is hard but sometimes you cannot break the wall of silence despite the anger and hurt that you feel.  Sending you a hug.