Author Topic: How Long Does The Pain Last????  (Read 1656 times)

Offline RichardD

How Long Does The Pain Last????
« on: October 10, 2020, 06:46:24 PM »

This seems to be a popular forum. With so few places where you can share your grief with others experiencing the same pain.

This is without doubt the toughest and most mind numbingly painful thing I have ever experienced.

My wife of 40 years passed away last month. It is too painful to write all of her ills over the past 18 months but she finally succumbed to a very aggressive form of cancer (mesothelioma) and passed away within just 5 weeks of diagnosis.

I feel like my life has ended as well and it is difficult to see a way forward without her. The house is so empty and I keep shouting her name. I have one of her cardigans as a 'comfort blanket' at bedtime. Is this normal behaviour?

How long does this grief take to heal? I know she will stay with me forever and I wouldn't want it any other way. People have assured me that time is a great healer but they haven't said how long!

I have children and grandchildren and they are obviously grieving for their Mum/Grandma too. They come round to the house and we all inevitably end up crying together.

I have just turned 60 and am still working. We were planning for retirement and what we were going to do etc. but that has been taken away. Instead I am a widower. My employer has been superb with their support but have 'suggested' that I return to work at the beginning of next month. Is this too soon?   

Reading some of these posts on here does give me some hope. I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone but in a dark kind of way it is re-assuring to know that others are going through the same thing too and it just hasn't happened to me/us.

Thank you for the forum. It has helped just writing a little bit about it.

Richard D

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: How Long Does The Pain Last????
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 02:03:47 PM »
Hello Richard, welcome to this forum. Sending you an understanding hug.  :hug:  I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your wife.

It is understandable that the pain is so raw for you and your family, if you lost her such a short time ago. It is still very early days for you in finding your way through this horrible grief experience yet. You ask how long this pain lasts and the answer i'm afraid, in my own experience, is not good. I found my way here after losing my mother three years ago. It was the third anniversary of her passing last Friday, 9th October. I am at once shocked that it is already three years since she passed away and conflicted in how I  am doing in recovering from that. Although the years have gone quickly, the days and in the beginning, the nights in particular, seemed endless and dragged interminably, whilst I sat crying and not noticing time passing at all and realised as the sun faded from the sky outside my window, that I had not remembered to eat or drink all day or even got washed or dressed some days! I think that period lasted for some weeks for me and would have lasted longer, but for the pressure to return to work, just as you are finding now.

No, it is not unusual to want to hold some item that your lost loved one used. I still have most of my mother's clothes in her wardrobes and only recently began feeling strong enough to start turning out her belongings and deciding what to keep and what I still can't bear to part with. Some people make a cushion from favorite items of clothing worn by the person they have lost, so that they can feel they are hugging some part of them when they need to to help them feel closer to them. That wouldn't have worked for me. My mum would have thought it sacrilege to cut up any of her lovely things, but it might be something you might like to do!

Work is thorny issue after a loss. Part of the problem is that sometimes, your employers make up the lucky number of people who have not yet experienced a close loss and so don't understand how devastating and difficult to come to terms with that it can be and expect you to be able to put it behind you and carry on as normal within a few weeks. Obviously there is also the practical difficulty of being a person down at the workplace and the work still needing to be done, so getting you back in is a practical matter for them, but a huge deal for you.

I found it very hard to get back to work. The problem was not so much that work was any different. It wasn't. But I was. A close personal loss rocks your world and the foundations of your life have fallen from under your feet. As a result you feel lost, isolated and alone and going out from the house can feel like a challenge. Making a cup of tea can feel like a challenge! Then coming home to an empty house again once you do go out, is just depressing and makes you feel the loss of your loved one all the more keenly.

I found grief changed me. It made me see life and people differently. I had much less patience with people's everyday gripes and squabbles and their concerns seemed so petty to me, so stupid and unimportant and I just thought 'how can you be so upset over such trivial things when my whole world has collapsed?' I still feel that way, three years on. I suppose what I am trying to say is that grief and loss make you into a different person and you have to learn to accept that you will never be the person you were before this happened and so you have to learn to live with the new you in this unwanted new normal and that takes time. Much more time than anyone who has not been through it will be able to understand.

You ask how long? Well, getting to a point where you can function in the world around you, which has not stopped, however much you feel it should have and your own world has, varies from one person to another. I had to go back to work within two weeks of the death of my mother and I found it very hard. Fortunately I have my own office, so if it all got a bit much, I could have a bit of a cry without too much chance of discovery and that did happen several times. Some people visit their doctor and manage to get advice in whether they are fit to return to work or not and if your GP signs you off as not fit to return, your employers will have to put up with that decision. However, you also have to consider how long they will hold your job open for you and how you will manage if your wages are reduced or if you may be putting your job at risk as well, so the decision to go back is a difficult one.

You could speak to them and explain that you don't feel up to going back yet or you could get yourself signed off by your doctor. You could ask to have a phased return and go back on reduced hours or reduced duties and see how it goes. Chances are you will struggle to some extent no matter how or when you go back. Only you can decide what might work best for you and what the priority is in terms of your need to keep your job, but hopefully these are a few options to consider. You might also ask to be referred to Occupational Health to help your employers manage your return to work better. Whatever happens, it won't be an easy experience and will take time to return to your routine there and that will be made harder by your changed circumstances at home.

When does the pain stop? Well, in my experience, it doesn't. It remained painfully sharp for the first six months and nearly drove me to a nervous breakdown six months in. Then I knew I had to do something to combat the grief as I was sinking into a pit of despair that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to climb out of again, so I made a written plan of how to carry on for the next year or so and that did help me feel I had regained a little control over my life again. I am still sticking to it now and it still helps.

I think that nothing improves much until you reach acceptance that what happened happened and can step back a little from it and realise that at least the person you lost isn't suffering anymore and that that terrible time of their illness only made up a small part of their life and not the bulk of it. Then, you find that some weeks are easier than others and you feel a little better, but then something happens that brings it all back and you have a bad few weeks again. Many here describe it as a roller coaster ride.  The sad truth for the long term is though, that it never really goes away. It becomes a part of you and you learn to live with it. The pain dulls and you gradually have times when you are less aware of it, but it is always there in the background for me and life has never and will never be the same again, but that does not mean it is bad. It is just different and sad and I have got used to that and am trying to build a new life for the new me in this new reality that I never really wanted. You will probably have to do the same, but for now, if you can function day to day, you will be doing well. The question of work is not easy and likely, will be a matter of trial and error in terms of going back and coping with being back. You will have to try to have a think about that.

As for the family coming round and ending up crying together, that is probably inevitable to some extent, but how about engaging them in doing something concrete to remember your wife? You could put together an album of everyone's favorite photos of her and make a copy for everyone to have. Or ask them to write down their memories of her, either events they recall or just personality traits that they liked and put them in a book or on scraps of paper in a jar or tin that you could pull one out of at random to try to bring back memories of better times you spent together. Or if you have a garden, why not get them to help make a special spot to sit and remember her in and plant it with her favorite plants? You could club together to get a bench placed at a favorite spot she had that you could visit to remember times you spent there together. Revisiting place you went to together also really helps bring back the good memories, even if it also brings a tear to the eye, it will also provoke discussion of those memories and you will smile too. Or if she liked baking or doing some other activity with the children or grandchildren, do that with them and you will be remembering her and will end up laughing at some memory or other.

Key to feeling better for me was to get out of the house and I found walks in the park helped. It was a calming environment in which to sit and try to come to terms with all that had happened and being amongst nature really helped me feel more peaceful about it all. Many of the benches had inscriptions on them for lost loved ones from those left behind and they reminded me that love never dies and the person who died goes on being loved and missed by those who knew them when they were here.

Grief is a long hard process to get through and as you say, is the hardest thing you will ever go through. There is light at the end of the tunnel but getting to it is a much longer harder process than any of us ever expects and once you are a grieving person, you are likely always to be in one sense or another. Not a day goes past without my thinking of those close to me I have lost and that is true even for my dad, who died in 1985. I still talk to their pictures when I get in in the evening and tell them about my day and ask for their help and sometimes I am lucky enough to find a feather that lets me know they are still around sometimes and thinking of me. It may sound crazy, but I don't think it is.

Find out what helps you and use that to try to feel better, but how long does the pain last? It never really goes away, but it does get better. Sending you a hug and wishing you well.  :hearts: :hug:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 11:07:41 AM »
Hi Richard i can only really repeat what Sandra has said.

It is 9 years now since my husband died from a second stroke and i still miss him of course and sometimes i still end up in tears so the pain doesnt fully go away but it does get easier, less overwhelming and the times when it knocks you down less frequent and it does become something we learn to live with and accept as part of ourselves.That doesn't mean we have to expect our whole lives will be unhappy but that for a time happiness is hard to grasp and starts as fleeting moments, earlier it is just getting through each day for a while and how long it takes is something that we all differ in.
My husband was older than me and had already retired so we planned i would work where i was for another few years while we saved then move to a place in wales we both loved and live off his pension and the earnings i could get for seasonal work - that all went out of the window and it didn't come back i know now that it was a dream for two not for one.I initially thought i would never even go there again how painful it would be to have that rubbed in my face and in year one i didn't but i did the next year and have every year since until this one (lockdown etc) The first time was difficult but at the same time i felt really close too him there and have every time since so even without the retirement dream it is still a really special place too me.

I am still working and dont have plans for retirement any more it will happen in a few years and i will just deal with it when it does. Going back had good and bad points - the bad was i found it hard to concentrate and made some thankfully not too drastic mistakes but at the time i was mortified and the other was as Sandra said dealing with peoples everyday problems that too us who have lost everything seem very trivial - my boss telling me how he  and his wife were arguing over kitchen unit colours was one that sticks out but i know now they didnt know what else to talk about he was a young man he didnt know what to say and saying something was better than saying nothing however trivial that seemed to be = the good was the routine i knew i had to get up every morning walk the dog go to work by a certain time and like you i found routine could help me just get through the days.
The year before i lost a good friend the four of us went on holiday together etc etc even though they lived a long way off and her husband  once rang me and and said tell keith to ask dot where she put the b+++ scissors because she isnt tellin me  - because we were both still talking too them it isnt unusual and it isnt mad its a natural thing to do.   

I decided quite early on if i couldn't find the motive to live life for myself i would live it for him - i went back to the places we loved i went to some of the places and did some of those things we said we would do and never got round too,  and i did some things he would have loved to do had he been fit enough and i would have watched from the sidelines but now did for him  - i decided i had gone too far with that half way through zip wiring in a massive canyon in Africa - i was petrified but then half way across the last run there was a rainbow in the waterfall and i remembered a conversation from long ago before we were married or even had a romance  looking at a travel brochure with a picture of falls with the rainbow above it and saying i would love to see that thinking i probably wouldnt but he said i would and he would make sure i did -it was like a flashback but a good one - i have no idea what the guide thought when i said - apparently too the waterfall  thank you for showing me but this wasn't the position i had in mind to view it from. As revenge for the zip wiring i have since taken him snorkeling and surfing - he couldnt swim but its almost like we still have that banter going on it isnt all about i love you and miss you at all.

It wasn't easy taking that first step to doing any of it - the first was much smaller just planting native daffodils in our favourite places but even that needed planning how would i get there, when, how could i do it and some of the hazards avoid the eating out alone scenario etc  and just the planning also gave me something to focus on i wasnt not thinking about him  but i was, without really recognizing it at the time, thinking about him in a more positive way in part through the past revisiting places but in part through the future - taking him forward with me in a different way if that makes sense.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 09:42:48 PM »
Just knowing i wasnt alone in how i was feeling and having somewhere i could be honest and share how i was feeling helped me so much, i hope the forum helps you too  :hearts:
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx