Author Topic: Hi New here  (Read 1542 times)

Offline ChrisH

• New Members
Hi New here
« on: October 10, 2020, 09:47:17 AM »
Hi I lost my wife 5 Months ago yesterday she was in hospital for 5 months I got her home for 4 weeks and she had to go back into hospital was there for 4 weeks and sadly died it was during the covid lockdown and I only saw her for 2 hours the day before he died and then she was unconscious.
I feel cheated and very lost.

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Hi New here
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 05:54:56 PM »
Hello Chris, so sorry to hear about your wife. Sending you a welcome hug.  :hug: It must be very hard to have not been able to be there with your wife when she passed and I am sure you are going through all the traumas anyone does when they lose someone close. Cheated and lost will sound like familiar feelings to those here. It is always a huge shock to lose someone, especially someone you shared your home with and it takes a long time even to begin to adjust to that and five months ago is still early days for you.

I lost my mum three years ago yesterday and this has been a hard week to get through, even three years on, but I can say it has got a little better over time, though really didn't until at least eighteen months on for me. I am sure it must be even worse if you have lost a partner.

You are not alone here and there will be lots of people who will have gone through a similar experience here who I am sure will be able to advise you better than me, but in my own experience, all you can do is face each day one at a time, try to take care of yourself and use anything that helps you feel better. For me that was writing down how I felt each day and having flowers around to remind me that there were still things in the world worth living for and walking in the park, where it was calming to sit on a bench and try to come to terms with what had happened. Most of the benches have inscriptions on them that remind you that those we have loved and lost are not forgotten by those who remember them and go on being loved and missed by them. Your lovely lady will no doubt always be with you in your heart and in your memories and for all the pain of loss, I am sure you would not have missed a single day of those you spent with her.

Sending strength and hoping you find some comfort amongst our members here.  :hearts:

Offline ChrisH

• New Members
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 08:46:51 AM »
Hello Sandra thankyou for your kind words Les had a serious stroke in 2014 which left her with quite serious mobility and coordination plus short term memory problems so i spent the last 6 years as her carer as well as working full time. She then developed type 2 diabetes and on routine visit to the podiatrist they discovered she had developed gangrene in her toes on left foot we had to take her straight to hospital. After several weeks of antibiotics and tests they decided to amputate part of the foot two weeks later the gangrene returned in the stump so they amputated the leg above the knee. After some weeks she was moved to another hospital for physiotherapy so we could bring her home. Then she developed gangrene in the other foot she was moved back to the other hospital and the other leg was amputated above the knee another month passed then she returned to the second hospital for physiotherapy some time later she eventually came home after 4 weeks she was losing consciousness and i called an ambulance she was in hospital for another 4 weeks and then died of pneumonia. Sorry to go on so long but I cannot get past what happened I try to think of good time earlier but just cant do it  I just keep reliving the last year this all started on Halloween last year and I cant get past this last year is his usual or is it just me.
Thanks for your patience
Chris

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 12:47:21 PM »
Oh Chris, I'm so sorry. What a horrible time you have both had. When my mum fell ill, it was gradual following an injury to her knee. The doctors prescribed ordinary painkillers and rest for that, but it turned out that the painkillers didn't go well with her blood thinning medication and the stroke happened very suddenly. She survived for about another six weeks and I never managed to get her home again before she passed away, not in the end from the stroke, from which she was recovering slowly, but from the heart condition they were no longer treating with blood thinners, because they were afraid this would cause her to have another stroke. She was 96, so you might say she had a good innings, but I don't think it makes any difference how old the person was when they passed away, it is always something we dread and wish they could have still been here with us.

I tell you the story of what happened to my mum for two reasons. It strikes me, reading the story of what happened to your wife, that however hard the medics may try to solve one problem, sometimes the person is just too weak and too ill and too worn out to recover and other problems develop and cause further problems that in the end just prove too much for them. It sounds like this may have been the case with your wife, just as it was with my mother. Secondly, when she did pass away, although I was terribly upset, I was also relieved and surprised to feel relief, but I felt it because I knew that after struggling with worsening health for some years and having had a horrible time in the hospital over that six weeks, she wasn't suffering anymore and if there were anything good to come as a result of this, it was that. It sounds to me as if that may have been the case for your poor wife too. Perhaps that is something you can take some comfort in knowing.

But that doesn't help us who are left behind much. Losing someone you love, no matter how long they have been ill for or how badly they have been ill, is always a huge shock and while they live, we strive to hold on to them and keep them with us right up to the last and when the war is finally lost, we are devastated. What you describe is what I felt and is, I think, what we all do. The last illness of the person we have lost is always painful and upsetting and oddly, I think the more painful the memory, the sharper it is in our mind, obscuring the good memories and making them hard to recall. Inevitably, we all play the blame game - 'if only' this or that had happened or 'if only' I had done this or that, she might still have been here for a bit longer or might not be gone. It isn't just you. We all do it, but in the end, the real answer is that life is just not like that. We all do the best we can for our loved one while they are here and in the moment we believe the things we do are best. Then looking back, we question that and think of things we could have done better or differently and we analyse for hours, all that happened during those last months and can always think of things that could have been better or made a difference to what happened in the end. I nearly drove myself mad doing that, so you are not alone there.

In the end, I wrote about it all; everything that happened and how I felt about it; everything I thought might have been done better; all the pain, disappointment, frustration and how I felt about all that looking back. It helped just to put the words down on the page and helped me get it out of my system, so that might be one thing you could try to get past this. Some people say they write it in the form of a letter to the person they have lost. I didn't, but if you did, you could also say all the things you maybe couldn't say to her in a way she could have understood after your wife became ill. It's worth a try if it helps you.

It is hard to dispel the memory of those last months from your mind for all of us who lose loved ones and this is something that seems common to most of us, especially during the first year or more of having lost them. I don't think it eases at all until we reach acceptance that things just happened the way they did and understand that this horrible time, in reality, only made up a short period of their life and try to train ourselves to focus on the better times they had and that we had with them. I did that by putting together a photo album of my favorite pictures of my mum and by revisiting places we went to together. It helped me remember the happier times we had together and made me smile, even if it also brought a tear to my eye. Perhaps that is something you could do. Others make memory books that they write down what they can recall of times past or just things they loved about the person they have lost. Some write those things on scraps of paper instead, that they can put in a jar, so that they can pull one out at random, when they are missing the person, to relive a happy memory of them. Others make a place in the garden to go and sit in to think about them and plant it with their lost loved one's favorite plants as a tribute to them. Others have a bench placed in a favorite place to go to to remember them. All of these things are things you can do in tribute to and in memory of a lost loved one and the act does bring some relief and does help bring back the good memories.

None of us are experts here, nor are we trained counselors, but we have experience of having been where you are now and so can share what helped us. I hope you can find something that helps you. Perhaps asking the doctor for a referral for grief counselling might actually be something you might want to consider if things don't improve for you, but two months in is still only a very short time in terms of recovering from a loss, so I am not surprised you are still reliving all those horrible memories of your wife's last months. It takes both time and effort to move forward from such a terrible time, in my experience. I find it is something you have to work at and doesn't just happen on it's own. You have to make a conscious effort to find things that help you do it.

Getting out of the house was key to that for me. I joined a class that gave me a new interest. It helped that it was something my mother had enjoyed too, so that i felt I was doing it for both of us. It forced me to get out of the house, gave me something to look forward to and forced me to think about something else for a few hours and to engage with life and with people again. Some of the people I met there, understood better what I was going through and still help me more than people who knew my mum and who I had thought of as friends prior to this. But sadly, these are often the people who let us down. Some because they don't understand what it is to lose a loved one if they have not already been through it themselves, others because the loss was not so personal to them, so they go back to their own lives and think we are doing the same, others because they don't know how to help us so just say nothing.

I know it's harder in the present crisis to think of joining a class or taking up a new interest, but there are on-line things you might try, if you think it might help. The flowers helped at home too and the walks in the park. And writing it all down. But the point is, I had to put in the effort to find out what helped me feel better, even if only for a short time. Grief is exhausting and it drags you down if you don't combat it in some way. I thought it was going to overwhelm me in that first eighteen months and there were lots of ups and downs. Many here describe it as a rollercoaster ride. You have times when you feel much better, and think you are starting to get over it, only to suddenly have something happen that brings it all back again and you discover you are not as far along the road to recovery as you had thought. So you go back to the things that have helped you and try to climb back out of the pit of despair again and so it goes on for some time, I''m afraid, but this, sadly, is normal for most of us who are grieving, Chris.

Try to find things that help bring back the good memories. Try to step back and ask yourself if you would really have wanted your wife to carry on as her she was. Write down how you feel about everything and how you feel now. Look for the little things that help you feel better, even if it is just hearing a bird sing or seeing the sun shine. Anything that helps. One day at a time. One hour or minute at a time, if necessary and remember, she is no longer suffering and that horrible time only made up a short period of her life and ask yourself if that is not out-weighed by the time she had when she was well. Use deep breathing to calm yourself and if you have anyone you can talk to. make use of their shoulder to cry on. If not, use us here for that  and we will help as best we can. I guess in these troubled times, virtual hugs are all any of us can offer at the moment, whether we are physically there or not!

Thank you for writing back. I hope my response helps. I know it helped me in those early days, just to know someone understood what I was going through. I hope it helps you too. My loss was of a different kind, but the pain and the loneliness and sense of loss and the ache of missing someone are common to all of us who grieve.

Sending strength and empathy.  :hearts: :hug:

Offline ChrisH

• New Members
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 06:48:15 AM »
Hi Sandra thankyou for your reply I have got through so far by setting a routine to fill the day and I escape into books a lot I guess we all find our own way to get through but it certainly a roller coaster.

Chris