Author Topic: Second year and struggling  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Carron

Second year and struggling
« on: November 28, 2020, 02:18:10 PM »
Hi.. I have just entered my second year of grief since loosing my long term partner of 25 years.  I think I must have been numb during the first year as now I feel the pain of his loss more acutely than before.  He was my everything and we were so happy.  I miss him constantly and now life is empty without him.  I have grown up family (who have all left home) and they are good, but they do have their own lives. I am so lonely.  I do have fiends who I meet once a week and we go for a walk, or lunch, and I work part time, but when I come home, or at weekends, the loneliness, silence and emptiness when I come home is unbearable.  I do not know what to do with  myself any more and foresee a bleak, sad life ahead.  Does this pass?  Any input appreciated. Thankyou

Offline Jackie - Richard

Re: Second year and struggling
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 03:11:31 PM »
Karren...
...i feel exactly the same as you, facing my second Christmas without m partner-hubby of 20 years...I have never felt so aloe so lonely as i am feeling these past 19 months...I have literally been living a nightmare...

Jackie...age 69 and feel like i have aged, by a good 10 years, plus was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis age 64...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 03:13:06 PM by Jackie - Richard »

Offline Carron

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 04:45:22 PM »
Hi Thanks for your reply.  Such a shame you also have the additional stress of your diagnosis.  How are you coping with that?  I dont know what to do with myself anymore.  It all just seems so bleak and pointless.   I never thought I would be without him.  I thought we would grow really old together.  We had so much plans. He was my life.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 06:20:45 PM »
 :hug: It isnt at all unusual to feel like this, others here including myself  also found the second year to be very hard  - and that was without lockdown.

In part i think it is because we have an expectation built in from the culture we live in where the  Victorian idea of a "year of mourning" has become something society follows - and as others step back on the support for us because of it,we also we start to question ourselves and whether our grief is less valid because of that time scale - we get those first anniversary's over and imagine we will feel better on the second ones but then find it doesn't really work like that and we get impatient with ourselves over it.
In the first year we learned to get through each day -and thats enough, in the second we face the reality that the pain hasnt gone away and the loneliness sinks in even more but we dont think it should be like that which somehow makes it worse..
I found winter helped even less -  i work full time - and spent a lot of the other time working in the garden in summer so the evenings didnt feel as endless, but in winter it was dark when i left and dark when i got home - i go camping with friends but that doesnt happen in winter and where- as i used to go home to a cuddle a lit fire and something warm to eat i had to go home to a cold dark house and no comfort.
I found myself being last to leave the office and not rushing to get home especially on fridays - so one thing i did do was treat myself on fridays - not much but something just for me - maybe a hot bath with candles and music playing or chocolate and a film but it helped to get me through the door and eventually extended into a routine so the weekends were not as empty - i also learned to crochet and started doing charcoal drawings so again there was something to do - and i did some free online courses which were great  and i could fill hours doing research or writing - it doesnt stop you missing him but it does eventually fill that empty time up. :hug:   

Offline Jackie - Richard

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 07:12:42 PM »
Carron...
... apologies for my misspelling of your name...

Jackie...

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 11:03:07 AM »
Hello Carron, it was my mum I had lost when I found my way here, so it's different for me, because the loss must feel different,but I do think Karena has a point. I know a year is a milestone and like you I hoped to feel better in the second year, but I didn't even start to feel any better until towards the end of the second year. I think what I have learned is that time can't be counted the same way in terms of grief and loss and all the misery it brings with it. Just because a year has gone, that doesn't mean your feelings change or the grief suddenly stops or gets any easier. Your loved one is still gone and you may be growing used to them not being there, but that doesn't stop you missing them terribly. You can learn to go back to work and get on with your day to day life, but you still always miss them and notice their absence. I think that's how it goes on. Some days are easier to get through than others and winter definitely doesn't help.

In regard to being in an empty house, I find it helps to have some background noise, be it TV, radio or music playing. It helps you feel less isolated. I also find getting out of the house for a walk in the park helps me a lot. It is a calming environment in which to walk or sit whilst you try to come to terms with all that has happened. I also left the light on at home in the hallway to help me feel more confident about arriving home to an empty house in the early days, although I have now got used to knowing I will not find the house the same as I used to in the days before I lost my mum. It helped to see a light on coming back.

I think what we have to accept is that we will probably always be struggling with grief in some way and some days will just be worse than other times.

I also find it helps a bit to change your environment. Move the furniture around and a room feels different and I feel, makes it a bit less painful as you are not constantly faced with the spot you were used to seeing occupied by the person you have lost, at least not looking the same as it did when they were here and that makes it easier in my experience. It is hard to do it on an emotional basis, but makes it a bit easier for me to be in that space.

The other thing I would recommend is joining a class in some subject you have an interest in or an interest you shared with the person you have lost. That may become possible again once the vaccine arrives and life gets back to normal a bit next year. It helped me because I felt I was pursuing that interest on both our behalves and it enabled me to make some new friends and we have, in these very odd times, been able to support eachother and keep one another going througout this ghastly Covid crisis. It is nice to get a text or a call from someone, so that you know someone is thinking of you and bolsters you up a bit, much as you and Jackie have here, along with the rest of us who have replied. We don't know you beyond this virtual world, but we are thinking of you and will all try to support and help you and one another here at least.  You are not alone.

Sending an understanding hug.  :hug: