Author Topic: Sad news, got to have dog put to sleep  (Read 21647 times)

Offline Kes1968

Sad news, got to have dog put to sleep
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »
Made the really hard decision today to have my elderly pooch put to sleep later this week, he’s 13 and his back legs have all but gone, he’s weeing everywhere and panting a lot, even out of the heat, especially at night, so so tough, I’m going to miss him so much 😢😢😢

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Sad news, got to have dog put to sleep
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 10:16:30 PM »
 :hearts: sending you a hug. Its so hard to make that decision, especially when they have been there so long with us but we know when it's right time to avoid suffering. I have roses in my garden for each of mine.  Spend some special time with him this week  :hearts: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 10:57:26 PM »
 :rainbow:thanks emz, I know it’s the right decision for him but it still feels so hard, I’ve been taking him for little walks but I was watching him today and he was really struggling 😢

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:15:37 PM »
I
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:22:35 PM by GHOST »

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »
He’s been barking this morning at the handyman who’s coming to replace the loft hatch and install the new loft ladder, I don’t know that I can justify even thinking of having him put to sleep when he’s still showing interest in his surroundings, people always tell me that I’ll know, he’s hardly eaten again  today though and v unsteady on his legs, he has spinal nerve damage in his lower spine which causes the incontinence, I don’t want to lose him but am I prolonging his suffering? He looks so miserable sometimes and I don’t know what to do now
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:46:53 PM by Kes1968 »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 05:08:51 PM »
I struggled alot with my last dog, I knew she was struggling, she started collapsing and would have a accident when she had (it was a kind of fainting, connected to her heart) but on the day of the appt she had perked up a bit.  But I knew it was intermittent, and other times she mainly slept or looked sad. Broke my heart all the same
Sending you big hugs, it's not an easy decision  :hearts: xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 05:20:23 PM »
A
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:22:56 PM by GHOST »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 06:34:53 PM »
He's beautiful  :smiley:

I've come across a lady recently who makes felt versions of peoples dogs, and can make a little fur or ashes heart to go in it. Ive not ordered from her but I can PM you the website details if you'd like to take a look, if you consider something like that to remember him by when the decision is made xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 06:37:42 PM »
He's beautiful  :smiley:

I've come across a lady recently who makes felt versions of peoples dogs, and can make a little fur or ashes heart to go in it. Ive not ordered from her but I can PM you the website details if you'd like to take a look, if you consider something like that to remember him by when the decision is made xx
Yes please emz

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 06:38:51 PM »
A few years ago we had a beautiful Smooth Collie called Jethro who we had to have put to sleep at 1yr old due to an illness that was affecting his nervous system, we tried to get him sorted and spent £5000 in vets bills but in the end we had to let him go and i was heartbroken as when i had to retire due to health probs he was there to cheer me up and we'd spend all day cuddling  :smiley: but sadly they couldn't do anymore to cure him. To see a very healthy looking dog put to sleep really did my head in but once they cannot walk properly and have toilet probs the most humane thing is to let them go, make sure you take lots of photos of him before he goes so his memory will live in with ya, ok its sad to see their photos but also you remember a certain day when they were acting daft and it will bring a smile to your face one day. x
Have attached a photo of my Jethro smooth collies are like Lassie but short haired.
He’s certainly a handsome boy xxx it’s so hard xxxx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 06:44:22 PM »
I struggled alot with my last dog, I knew she was struggling, she started collapsing and would have a accident when she had (it was a kind of fainting, connected to her heart) but on the day of the appt she had perked up a bit.  But I knew it was intermittent, and other times she mainly slept or looked sad. Broke my heart all the same
Sending you big hugs, it's not an easy decision  :hearts: xx

I keep telling myself it’s the trauma of the past few months, losing mum and then the house move, plus the heat hasn’t helped, but it’s a sad fact that he does have a lot of accidents and his back legs are very weak and today particularly he’s been unsteady but that’s not the first time, the vet said he has nerve damage to his spine which won’t ever get better , I’ll be guided by the vet but I don’t want to rush into a decision I might regret, but at the same time I don’t want to prolong any misery/ suffering.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 09:25:50 PM »
Usually the vet will be honest, so they should help support you in the decision.  Thinking of you, its not easy atall especially already after a loss  :hearts: xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 11:46:53 PM »
 :hearts:thanks emz xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 05:35:42 AM »
Well since I posted last, my little pal seems to have picked up and rallied round, I’ve postponed the awful decision as I don’t feel it’s time for us to part company just yet, I’m very relieved, we’re still going to see the vet but just for a once over and to ask re painkiller for him should he need it in between his monthly arthritis injection. He went with me for a little walk yesterday morning and managed quite well, and yesterday evening he was running off with the ball of string I was using to secure the cardboard I was putting out for the recycling! I just wanted to say thanks for your wonderful support in this matter xxx Furthermore my friend Ali e who has Harry’s sister, is going to look after him for a few days in early August so I can have a few days away. She’s had similar worries with her dogs health and I know I can trust her completely to care for him while I’m away (4 days in London)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:39:33 AM by Kes1968 »

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 07:23:03 AM »
 :hearts:
Bless him  :heart: xx
Hold on in there xx