Author Topic: Does anybody have NETFLIX?  (Read 6442 times)

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
Does anybody have NETFLIX?
« on: April 01, 2019, 12:32:11 AM »
If so have you watched After Life? I've just binge watched all the episodes and I feel as if I've been put through a wringer. Written/Produced by Ricky Gervais and it's had me laughing and crying. I can't imagine how he managed to get so accurate a portrayal.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 01:38:14 AM by longedge »
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Does anybody have NETFLIX?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:40:18 PM »
No - i have heard good things about the programme though - not generally a fan of Ricky gervaise - but might give it a go if it becomes mainstream.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »
"not generally a fan of Ricky Gervaise" - Me neither and the language would offend some people, being very much what you hear 'on the streets'. It kept me up until gone 2a.m. though and did have an upbeat conclusion. I'm certain that it would be too painful for some people to watch. It upset me to the extent that I had to come here.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 09:17:37 PM »
Started to try to watch it but my partner was struggling with it as he was finding it upsetting.  I may have to try watching it alone, only managed one episode so far xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 09:32:07 PM »
I can understand that Emz, I'm sure it's not for everyone. I persisted though and stayed on the 'rollercoater' even though I got through a fair number of tissues   :cray:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 10:31:01 AM »
 :hug: it is hard work when something stirs up all your emotions like that.The language itself wouldnt bother me there are only a few words i havnt been known to utterunder my breath occasionally - and perhaps i havnt given him a fair chance maybe he has changed since the office and that embarassing attempt to be a compare.

I just finished a book that was one of those rare ones that  i didnt want to read too fast because i didnt want it to end -its the second like that, by the same author - the first was "the keeper of lost things," this one was "the wisdom of Sally red shoes" by Ruth Hogan - both tackled issues of dying, but also grief, loneliness and isolation due to being "different" as well - 
They start with random things people do -that perhaps are so every day we wouldnt think to do them - the keeper of lost things is an old man who literally keeps the most random items he finds discarded but  wants to restore them too their former owners - and so the stories behing the lost things emerge and more characters are introduced - The second starts with  woman who has no grave for her son so looks after the graves of other children and has given them stories and characters - then meets Sally red shoes who is a feisty confused old lady that feeds the crows - but at the same time as the sad story lines the  characters involve some eccentrics that can be very funny -people you can aspire to be (not because they are famous or successful but because they are comfortable in their own skin) they get you thinking about your own life and grief in a more positive way - it isnt a gloomy read at all really there are sad parts though of course.

So having finished this morning i then went on to the about the author section  - and it turns out she wrote the first one to keep herself occupied while undergoing chemo herself. so i guess  her awareness of all of our mortality is part of what makes them such engaging books that maybe some-one without that experience couldnt quite do in the same way.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 12:08:16 PM »
After watching it, one of the questions that keeps going through my mind is, can some people manage to actually sit watching long videos of their lost partner talking directly to them. After three and a half years I still can't watch more than a few seconds of any video with Chris in it and hearing her voice absolutely floors me. I wonder how on earth the partners of TV and Film celebrities manage.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 08:03:57 PM »
We're all so individual/unique arent we. I know some people struggle with it, or even just with photos. I find videos/audio clips a comfort, my mum struggled when i gave her video clips of her mum.  :hearts: xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »
I dont actually have any videos and have generally been fine with photographs -except a couple of times

One was a photograph some-one posted one on fb - it was one of the mad camping trips, and the guy hadnt even realised what he had posted - but on this particular trip we were camping near York and had gone into the city with the campervans to go on one of the ghost walks together each taking as many passengers as we could. Unfortunately one person had too much to drink and so we juggled passengers and  Keith drove his back and i drove ours  - at some point someone had photographed this convoy and thats the one that years later made a sudden appearance.
I was looking at them and working out whose was whose but had forgotten about the swap situation, so zoomed in on this van only to find Keiths face had suddenly leaped out at me, it upset me for days after i think simply because i wasnt prepared.

The other time though was actually a tv programme - it was one of those reality tv programmes - they had bought a house in the village i work in and it was going to be given away to the people who the village voted for out of a selection of applicants.
( it was actually one of the most dire programmes ever, but if anyone watched it,  the winning couple split up within a year and as soon as the rules of the competition allowed the house was sold on.)
But during the filming Keith had been doing his usual thing waiting for me to come out of work at lunchtime ( we used to have a coffee together) and had got caught on camera a few times -so i was aware of that and decided not to watch it -in the end though i discovered i couldnt not watch it and even though a friend rang me as soon as the first episode was screening to distract me ( not knowing i already had it on silent) i heard one of her daughters shout its Keith from upstairs - looked up and there he was.
Not only caught on camera but part of the opening section of every flipping epsode was keith walking across the road - just a brief snapshot  but i watched it every single week just for that brief shot - so i could photograph the tv with my camera  ( there was another in one episode with him talking to some-one but i was too slow with that one..)  I think more than anything the upset was because he didnt live to see his 15 seconds of fame  - but it was almost like i was addicted to deliberately stabbing myself in the heart once a week.Thankfully i didnt have any form of programme recording device ( still dont) it isnt likely to be repeated and the photos were so obscure i deleted them (but not for a long time after) 

Offline Pam19

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 05:59:12 PM »
Hi longedge

I also binge watched afterlife and thought it was brilliant...laughed and cried all the way through it.

I have a few videos of my husband which I watch all the time...sometimes it breaks my heart and I end up sobbing for hours and some times I smile.....our wedding video was the hardest to watch...it took about 3 months to be able to watch it all the way through...and I haven’t been able to watch that one since, but the others, I watch most days. I love to see and hear him....but then I end up thinking ..you look too alive to be dead.... if you know what I mean....

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 06:26:38 PM »
Hi Pam, I wish that I could bring myself to watch all the stuff I've got but after a couple of minutes I can't see through the tears anyway  :smiley: I do have a look occasionally but then it feels more along the lines of what Karena mentioned, "deliberately stabbing myself in the heart". Oddly it's got worse as time has gone by when I would have expected that after three and a half years it would've got a little easier  :rolleyes:

Offline Pam19

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 10:40:07 PM »
I suppose we’re all different Longedge, no right or wrongs and we must do whatever it takes to make this ‘journey’ as bearable as possible, albeit nothing is bearable at the moment....I’m 25 weeks in tomorrow....still can’t believe it and reality is so hard to deal with  :cray:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »
On my own this eve so binge watched the rest of the series,  the feels!! Love Penelope wilton's character.  Hard to watch yet also beautiful - tissues definitely needed xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline CarolineL

• Be kind to yourself
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 07:11:25 PM »
Yes I also watched it and laughed and cried, really thought it was a good serious

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 12:50:34 AM »
[
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 03:41:24 PM by GHOST »