Author Topic: BUK Meets  (Read 32034 times)

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
BUK Meets
« on: April 01, 2016, 06:06:56 PM »
Hi everyone im starting this new thread for members to put or get information about forthcoming or future meet ups.

Forthcoming meet is:  Bristol for the weekend Friday 20th May to Sunday 22nd May, we are staying at the Washington Hotel. Please ask for any other information xxxx
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Jude M

Re: BUK Meets
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:09:49 PM »
Still don't know, if I am coming for the day Norma  :undecided:
I get up, go to work and survive another day .

Offline Rosaleen

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 04:40:11 PM »
 I would like to go to the Bristol meet but I feel like I'm  trying to fit a square peg into a round hole as I think I can only make it for the Saturday. From  London by train it see,s to be close  to 4 hours each way so the logistics aren't good. I'll have a rethink to look at possibly  adding Friday or Sunday.

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 04:56:06 PM »
Hi Rosaleen, im sure you will find it worth your while, these buk meets are really good and firm friends are made, if you were to consider adding an overnight stay, i really couldnt advise which would be the best for you, as all three days will be amazing.  Xxxx

:hug:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 05:45:55 PM »
Hi Rosaleen
Are you looking at coming from London Paddington?  Train journey should be around 1 hr 45 each way to Bristol temple meads from Paddington. I usually travel to london from another Bristol station and the journeys usually pretty good

Think the train companies must be releasing some cheaper tickets now, can see some returns Saturday afternoon (4 and 4:45) at £15 which is quite surprisingly cheap for London trips - I must remember to keep checking when I'm travelling! Xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Dave Administrator

• Dave
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • BUK Founder
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 05:51:59 PM »
Yes Emz is right so sort something out soon if you can do it Rosaleen which would be fantastic to meet you, because you could save possibly around 65% or more on an advanced return train ticket the earlier you get it.

Norma is right you will make lifelong friends and you'll be planning coming to the next one before this one is finished.  :coffeetoast:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:55:23 PM by Dave Administrator »
Take care and please keep posting however small or large you can manage, we need them.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 05:55:27 PM »
Understandably meets can be nerve racking, especially when not knowing anyone/not met before, I travelled 3 hours each way to Liverpool to meet peeps for the first time for a short afternoon meet.  I have to say I'm very glad I did, after the first initial hellos we were all chatting away, finding common ground and everyone was friendly and approachable. We had a stroll, went for lunch and chatted.  I came away having made friends

Not putting pressure on anyone, just want to reassure.  I have it on good authority that the previous Birmingham meet was exactly the same, with several laughs shared (I unfortunately had to drop out of that one following an accident in the family)

Anyone who is nervous arriving we can ensure we meet you and help you feel part of the group.  I'd say Saturday is probably better if you're thinking of one day without an overnight stay xx
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 05:57:11 PM by Emz2014 »
Hold on in there xx

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 06:09:35 PM »
I can promise you Rosaleen  within 5 minutes of meeting its as though been friends for ever, and refering back to Birmingham last year the only tears shed were when we were saying our goodbyes.  Xxxx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 06:37:33 PM »
I can only endorse what they said I went to York just for the day and the Birmingham meet for the Friday night and Saturday morning but enjoyed even the reduced time.Another thing to check for train fares is the price of two single tickets they commit you to certain trains but are cheaper.I don't know what the room situation is at the Washington but there are two others very close by if its full.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 08:09:10 PM »
Also consider splitting your train ticket - you can use the same train, no changing but tickets for different stretches of the journey are cheaper added up.  Google 'split train tickets' and it should give you some splits to try.  Ive saved alot by doing that, and you can double check it by looking at the stops - if you search each part you will see the timings will match up xx
Hold on in there xx

• Dave
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • BUK Founder
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 11:37:35 AM »
Reading all this valuable info here I now wonder if Mr Loveadeal (yours truly lol) did it right when I advanced booked Chelmsford to Bristol for £18.50 each way?? :huh:
Take care and please keep posting however small or large you can manage, we need them.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 02:54:48 PM »
That sounds like a good price to me Dave :-) xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Rosaleen

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 03:32:28 PM »
Thanks SO much for all your replies! I ll look into all the travel options that have been put forward. I admit I'd only had a v quick look on the web  and hadn't  known  which Bristol  station to aim for. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again

• Dave
  • Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • BUK Founder
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 04:15:59 PM »
That sounds like a good price to me Dave :-) xx

Yes but your way may have been an extra saving at maybe at £18.49 instead Emz   :sad:

Sorry got to walk off now (Squeak squeak squeak squeak).

:rofl:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 04:32:07 PM »
Haha!  I doubt you could have squeezed the extra penny, you're obviously already a pro Dave! :-)

Yep, good point for everyone, if travelling by train aim for Bristol Temple Meads.  That is the train station in the centre. Xx
Hold on in there xx