Author Topic: Two losses in the past six years that have affected my life totally.  (Read 1859 times)

Offline karenmary

• New Members
I moved back to London 6yrs ago. I'm in Central London. Peter, my close friend of 4yrs and partner to be in my new life died suddenly of a massive heart attack the day I booked the removal lorry. So my new life was very isolated. But I still had my baby brother who I was very close to. John..............

Offline karenmary

• New Members
My 3rd post waiting to be approved.....John.....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 02:26:52 AM »
My baby brother John died March 24th 2017. He was 46 and his death was "complicated" in a way that makes me unsure about being here.........it was a drug overdose, but he wasn't a drug user. So all of you have lost people to illness etc and my brother's death was his own fault......... I don't want to offend anyone by being here. I'm still so heartbroken. I will tell the story soon if that is ok? He drank some morphine that was years out of date due to toothache......it's a long story and he could have been saved,didn't take much, but his girlfriend let him lie on the sofa while she watched tv and he died..............she didn't know anything about drugs and neither did he........it was a series of events, all avoidable, and he died. He used to phone everyday-we were silly close-sis and bro......his words. Thank you for reading.

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: My 3rd post waiting to be approved.....John.....
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 09:11:53 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of both your partner, Peter and your younger brother, John, Karenmary. I can understand why you had reason to come and find us now. You have clearly been through a lot this last few years and a move to a new location too. All this must have been both heart-breaking and stressful and any loss turns your whole world upside down. It's a long difficult process to adjust to all the changes in your life that result from a loss and is sometimes hard to keep going under the strain of it all.  :hearts:

Don't worry about posting the way either of your loved ones passed away. Everyone here has lost loved ones in different ways, but we all feel the same kind of pain and go through similar feelings and meet the same kind of difficulties related to those events as a result. We understand how hard loss is and how hard the process of coming to terms with it is and how long it can take to accept it and to find a way to rebuild your life. You are not alone here.

I think all you can do is to find what helps and try in little ways to recover from all this. I found it helped to keep a journal of my thoughts and feelings each day. The act of writing things down does seem to help relieve the stress and get it out of your system a bit. My own loss also left me in a bit of a panic, so I found it also helped to make both a short-term and longer term plan for how I would cope and what I would concentrate on for the next year or so and almost two years on, still find I am sticking to it and that gives me more confidence and a direction to follow, which helps me feel better too. But something as simple as a walk in the park or having some flowers in a vase at home to look at also helped. You may or may not seek company, but an understanding friend to talk to can help too, or you may prefer to be alone. Either way, it is fine.

I found grief weighed me down and needed some relief from it, if only for a few hours a week, so I joined a class to go to a couple of times a week, in a subject that the person I had most recently lost, my mum, also took an interest in and enjoyed and that way, I felt I was doing this for both of us and that really helped me. I made some new friends there, a couple of whom had also experienced loss and understood what I was going through and that has helped, but also, it got me out of the house and gave me something to look forward to, so it counterbalances the sadness with something happier and enjoyable. I think you need that if you are to avoid being dragged into the abyss that grief can pull you into.

You never really lose the loved ones you have known and will always carry them with you in your heart, so you don't have to leave them behind. I think you do tend to have conversations with them in your head, when you might otherwise have turned to them for advice and can hear what they might have said to you, knowing them so well. I still do that out loud to their pictures at times! You are who you are partly due to their influence on your life and your personality, so you are, to a degree, part of the legacy they have left and you use the experience of having known them to make decisions about your own life, so they are still helping you, even though they are not physically here anymore.

Dealing with loss is a long and difficult process with ups and downs along the way, but you just have to keep trying to move forward. There is no time limit on it and no right or wrong way to cope. One day at a time. Just keep going. Best wishes to you.. :hug:

PS I have moved your two posts under the same message topic, Karenmary. I hope you don't mind. It seemed to make more sense to do so, as they are both things that have affected you and related events you wished to post about. It that is not OK with you, I can switch them back again, but thought this would help, so that anyone wishing to reply would be able to read both posts in the one place and would be able to consider both when they reply. Hope that's OK. x
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 09:26:46 AM by Sandra61 »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Two losses in the past six years that have affected my life totally.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 10:08:15 AM »
 :hug:No one will be offended about your post at all -we are all on the same grief nightmare roller coaster and how we got thrown on it is different for everyone, now its a case of holding on too each other as we try to get through the worst days and months and find some kind of life for ourselves.
As sandra says having some kind of plan helps - when my husband died mine was initially just to get through each day one at a time, but we do need more than that after a while - so i decided it would be about keeping his memory alive for my grandkids but also making my life a tribute too him, living my life for him in a way - by doing the things we used to love doing,the things we didnt get round too and some things he would love to have done and i would have sat out on. I also guerilla planted wildflowers in our favourite places - which meant planning too - how to get there, how to go about it, when to go - it was the planning as much as anything that kept me moving forward.