Author Topic: Things my mother said to me.  (Read 2436 times)

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
Things my mother said to me.
« on: May 05, 2016, 09:01:48 PM »
I've made reference in other posts to some of the things that I remember my mother saying to me. I was an only child and she had so much love in her that I would have been overwhelmed if she hadn't worked for two local families who between them had 9 children. Each one of those children grew up bathed in mum's love and saved me being suffocated. She proved how much she loved me by trying to flay me alive on more than one occasion and it was thanks to her that I could run faster than anybody else in my school :smiley:.

Over the years I remember she had various sayings that were suited to special occasions but the things she said to me that have really stuck in my mind were from the time just before she died.

The one that has given me most comfort over the last 14 years since then was one day when out of the blue she said, "When I'm gone, never reproach yourself. You have always been loving and you've never given me a moments heartache." I took it onboard but it wasn't until after her death that it really struck home in my mind.

On one occasion after my father had died, she said to me, "Nobody knows how many tears I have cried when I am on my own at home". She loved her family above all else and she was always happy and laughing when she was with us. It's only now that I truly understand. I'm trying really hard to protect my family from my black moods but I'm sure I don't do it as well as mum did.

For quite a while now I've been feeling a lot better, going for days sometimes without feeling unhappy but all of a sudden I feel as if I'm almost back to the beginning. I think it started a couple of days ago when the thought dawned on me that it's 12 months ago since we went off to Menorca for 2 weeks and had a really nice holiday and I made the mistake of getting the videos and photos of the holiday out . Strangely, I can remind myself of what mum said, look at her photo and it helps whereas I suddenly find once again I can't bear to look at Chris' picture. Ah well, tomorrow will be a better day with luck.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
Re: Things my mother said to me.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 10:23:56 PM »
Strange how reminders of happy times can make us sad no matter how much we tell ourselves that we should be glad we have those precious memories. It's as if all the happiness has to be paid for in tears.

Chin up mate. Hope your tomorrow is better than you wish it to be.