Author Topic: Mum gone dad hurt.  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Alan jnr

Mum gone dad hurt.
« on: April 29, 2016, 07:35:48 AM »
I'm 25 and my mum Caroline was 58 she died on the 19th or March this year.  Two weeks ago my dad had an accident on his motorcycle. He's still here but is in great pain and housebound for two months. He needs me.  My gran is 93 and relied on my dad for things and that has fallen to me now, I dont mind because I love my gran deeply.  I went back to work after 2 weeks since my mum died and  found it very difficult but tried my best to get on with it. Then this happens to my dad. I'm off work now the 4 weeks on sick but my boss tried to make me feel guilty by saying "think of your work colleagues your not being very fair to them" and "when you came back you seemed fine I don't understand" 

So now I'm missing my mum. Trying to help my dad and gran and I feel terrible for being off work because I'm "not being fair to my colleagues"

The only person I need right now is my mum! But she's gone!

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Mum gone dad hurt.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug:

Please dont listen to those insensitive comments from your boss.  It appears they have never lost a loved one and therefore cannot comprehend what it is like.  You do not need to feel any guilt for your colleagues, that is your managers job to manage, not yours.  He gets paid to manage the workloads and issues.  Unfortunately people who havent lost people find grief messy and just dont understand.  We do not get over it in a few weeks and its not all fine once the funeral has happened. Often we can look fine on the outside but our minds may be fragile or in turmoil. Work is important but not more important than your health and family. 

I know that getting back to work, when we can, is good for us in a way - helps to provide structure and in some ways keeps our minds occupied which can help if we are really missing our loved ones. A phased return can help us get back into it without feeling overwhelming.  You will however perhaps need understanding when you are back,  perhaps have a chance to get away for a break if emotions come over you.  (I remember randomly bursting into tears at my keyboard a few times!) so its good to think of somewhere you can pop off to for a break, even if its in the toilets. I went through a phase after a while of getting quite angry/frustrated and reacting in ways i didnt recognise as myself, thankfully my boss was understanding and i got through, regaining a sense of me again.  I wonder if there are any useful information booklets which you could give to your boss to help them understand prior to your return, I'll have a think if i know of any.  In the meantime I am guessing your Dr has given you a sick note, so you know it is supported. So concentrate on yourself and your family now. If your work are not supportive perhaps your Dr can support you with a phased return to work when you are ready

It also doesnt help that often we can feel guilt feelings during grief - 'should have's and what if's'.  That is unfortunately quite a normal step, and we find we blame ourselves for things we had no control over

Everyones grief is individual to them, but people here will understand the different phases and emotions.  Please keep talking to us, grief can be a rollercoaster journey, I imagine your dads accident was a shock too.  You need to remember some TLC for yourself too, dont be too hard on yourself xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 11:15:40 AM »
I agree with Emz, most colleagues will understand if they are decent people and be only too happy to help you by covering your shifts etc - often when the boss says think of your colleagues what he means is think of the inconveniance to himself.

Your dad and Gran are very lucky to have you, being strong for them when you are missing your mum so much yourself,but give yourself some breathing space to grieve too.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 05:49:58 PM »
Hi Alan jnr

Welcome to the forums. I haven't much to add that the others haven't covered but I am sure your father and gran will really appreciate you taking the reins at this difficult time.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 09:10:43 PM by Hubby »

Offline Alan jnr

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 08:26:04 PM »
Thanks so much for all your nice words.

Offline pennyking

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 08:31:55 PM »
Welcome Alan.  So sorry for your loss.  I hope your Dad makes a quick recovery.  Don't let work quilt trip you.  They are not walking in your shoes and have no idea what you are going through.  They are just thinking of themselves, not what is best for you.  Please keep talking to us and we will support you the best we can.  Take care.  Sending hugs.  Penny x

Offline Joann

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 06:43:47 PM »
Hi Alan jr, I am so sorry for the loss that brings you here. I lost my Mum nearly 7 months ago and it still feels like yesterday sometimes, so please be patient with yourself. I hwve found lots of help, advice and support on this forum so keep posting. Sending you lots of  :hug:
Taking it one day at a time.