Author Topic: Cant cope with Christmas  (Read 1982 times)

Offline KarenMB

• New Members
Cant cope with Christmas
« on: December 05, 2019, 07:47:40 PM »
I am finding this time of year so hard. There's a card on my mantlepiece from my Mum that I cant bare to open because my Dad's name wont be on it.It's been nearly 6 months since my Dad passed.  I miss him so much. I have no motivation or desire to find any pleasure in life. I cry for hours every day lately. I feel I can't let go of this year because this is the last year that I have held him and he's held me, told me he loves me and heard his voice. I'm scared that i'll forget the little details, his laugh. I feel like I'll never be happy again. xx

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Cant cope with Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 11:01:25 PM »
Hello Karen. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad and how this is affecting you.  :hug:

Sadly, this sounds pretty normal for the six month march into this horrible grief journey. It is a long and very painful one and the prospect of Christmas coming does present its own fears and challenges. It's two years now since I lost my mum and more than thirty years since I lost my dad, but it could have been just yesterday. If it is any comfort at all, the pain does dull with time as acceptance sinks in and you begin to understand that no amount of tears or upset will make anything not have happened or any less painful. You never stop grieving and I am certain you will never ever forget your dad or his laugh or his smile. I never have in all that time since my dad died in 1985. They will be etched into your mind forever. It will only take some little thing to remind you of some incident that happened when he was still with you and you will not only be able to see his laughing face in your head, but hear the sound of that laughter in your mind too and it will make you smile, cry too perhaps, but smile also.

Loss and grief change us a lot and hopefully make us kinder and wiser and more understanding, yet at the same time more impatient and intolerant of the unimportant. It is one of the biggest hugest things that you will ever experience and your world is forever changed by it, as are you. It is not surprising then that it feels like you will never be happy again, but things do improve very slowly. Some days or weeks are worse than others, but slowly you have to find a way forward, because there is no going back. I found it helped a lot to get out of the house and take up a new interest. It forced me to think about something else for an hour or two each week and I think you need that. Grief is exhausting and all consuming and will eat you up if you let it. In my experience, you have to find tiny ways to fight it and not to let it drag you down or you may find you can never get up again. It helped me to understand that my lost loved ones would not want me to go on being alone and miserable. They would want the best for me and want me to be happy, so, it was up to me to make that happen, for them. So i do go out. i do try to find things that help me feel happy and I know that would please them.

You never stop grieving or missing those you have lost, but you have to know you can't bring them back and have to make the most of those you have left with you and help one another get through this. You can't risk having regrets about how you missed any time you could have spent being happy with the people who are still here with you now, or you will regret it once they are gone. Make some new memories and have as good a Christmas as you can. Talk about your dad and the Christmases you spent with him and he will still be a part of this first Christmas without him. Put you mum's card up and smile at the memories he left you. Life has to go on, but that doesn't mean it has to be sad, nor does it mean you can't take him forward with you into your new life beyond the time when he was with you here. He will always be there in your heart and mind, so there will never be any leaving him behind.

Be gentle with yourself. Eat and drink enough. Do something nice to help yourself feel better. For me, it was having flowers around. They helped lift my spirits a little. I did put up a tree too and I found it quite a nice thing to sit in the evening with just the tree lights on and remember the happy times we spent together when I still had both my mum and dad with me. You will survive this and you won't forget him and maybe you and your mum can help one another get through this together. :hearts:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 11:34:28 AM »
Hi Karen - christmas will be a trigger for just about everything grief can throw at us especially the first one.
I know that writing that card will have been a high price for your mum as well though so maybe you should open it. :hug:

I never wrote another christmas card again after my husband died and asked people to donate to a food bank instead of sending me them  which meant i didnt have to receive them without his name and others didnt have to write them either  - I do make and write some Samhain cards though for a few special people but that isnt the same as signing a card that i used to add his name too - so your mum has been brave to write it.

Overall thats how i coped with Christmas by changing it - not abandoning it altogether because it is really hard to ignore it and i dont think that works anyway -  i still buy presents and go to the grandkids nativitys -but ihave changed it by doing things differently created new rituals so the old ones no longer hurt - and that helped me because the stuff you see around in the shops and all the hype doesnt touch me as it is no longer something i am attached too.
Others here have kept their traditions and maybe laid a place at the table for the one they will all be missing and taken comfort from that, or added in the time on xmas day to take flowers too a grave or create another way of remembering them around the normal way they do christmas. There is no right and wrong - we all do things differently and have different strategys but having a strategy whatever that is, definitely helps and again your mum will be feeling the same as you about xmas so maybe between the two of you, you can figure out what both of you want to do this year.

When it comes to new year Firstly remember that a numbered year is just a concept - something created in the stone age based on lunar dates changed again  based on star alignment, then seasonal changes then decreed by a roman emporer and changed again by another roman emporer who didnt agree with the first one. The number will change, and i know that its really difficult to think that when the number changes it means the last year someone was here has gone, but the planet itself doesnt change at midnight on 31st december - it continues to turn and to change season in its own time - so we are really attaching a false importance too it - but that doesnt stop us being distressed by it - so maybe its better to acknowledge it on the accepted date -  and again having a strategy can help -I light either an outdoor fire (if the weather allows) or a candle if not, which burns over that  hour - it is a form of symbolic ritual in the same way whatever others do at that time is whether its bagpipes fireworks or singing  auld lang syne it  is all a ritual,  but this one is mine - and to me if i light it before midnight and it burns over that and into the hour after midnight it is my way of taking him with me into the next calender year rather than worrying i am somehow leaving him behind in the last. 

Offline KarenMB

• New Members
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 01:01:29 PM »
Thank you for replying Sandra and Karena, this is very good advice/observation from you both. I love the idea of burning a candle before midnight on NYE. I wish I could go and visit the place where my Dad is laid to rest but his ashes are in my Mum's bedroom 200 miles away.  I know my Mum has found it very difficult to write her cards, she has not held back in telling me so. I think all I've done is made her angry with me because she has been brave and I haven't I guess. I am just trying to avoid something that I know will compound my pain.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 12:15:35 PM »
 :hug:I dont think your mum will be angry with you -anger at the world though is part of grief as well - she will understand you are grieveing too but its hard to see beyond your own grief sometimes - and your own grief even when its for the same person will always be just that - your own.
Its really difficult to explain but i will try.

All grief is equally devastating, but even when we are grieveing for the same person that grief can affect us in different ways depending on what our relationship was with them - and absolutely when its a parent our lives are emptier we miss them and fear for our future without them in it. With a partner we experience all that too - its daily -and often the smallest things that hit hardest -  if your parents were retired chance are they spent almost all their time together and in a way its those daily small things that are so much harder to come to terms with.

As we get older we watch as our children grow and leave home and then try and find things to fill that empty nest and when we have one, that stuff involves our other half because its our joint nest.Of course we still want to be there for our children and be part of their lives but also recognise they have their own life just as we did when we were younger. -we also  recognise of course that life is fragile and wont continue for ever - we know we are more than half way through - and it also speeds up - it doesnt of course, a year is a year, but it feels like it does  - remember when you were a child and felt like it was forever from one birthday until the next - ask a child how old they are and they will tell you in divisions of the year - if you tell some-one that child is 4 the child will correct you and say no i,m 4 and half - we dont do that as adults because it isnt as long in our minds until our next brithday. That speeding up continues as we get older so we make plans for retirement and fitting in as much as we can -knowing even subconsciousely that there may be a reason why we cant do something next year so we need to do it this year - but even knowing that, while we make those plans we dont really think about doing any of it on our own.
When we lose them its not just those big plans we cant hold on too - we miss them constantly, find ourselves making two cups of coffee in the morning,because thats what we have always done then bursting into tears when we realise that there it is right in front of us the coffee they will never drink - we cant bear the empty house yet cant bear life outside it either, and the last thing we want to do is burden our children with ourselves - whether they see it as a burden or not - we do see it that way. The nest isnt just empty now it has been blown out of the tree.

As well as missing them and being heartbrocken there is also the lonliness and the fear just as it is for everyone but maybe its the fears that are different - fear that we will always be alone, the house will always be empty - when our children or friends visit its fantastic - when they leave, that emptiness crawls back out of the walls and presses down on you from the ceiling like something from a horror film you can almost see it happening you can hear the silence creeping back.
I used to loiter reading notices in the post office window - looking in closed shops, anything to avoid the moment you open the door and feel that empty fog waiting to swallow you up.
Then there is another kind of fear - physical issues - if i fall who will pick me up - who will know i am at the bottom of the stairs -if i get flu who will look after me - if i get mugged who will know i havnt got home - i was 49 and i was thinking, like i imagined a 90 year old does - suddenly those fears we consider are those of much older people, becomoe our fears. - and even though when they were alive it may have been us that tested the smoke alarm, locked the door, sorted out the bills, drove the car  - there was always some-one else there - we were not soley responible for ourselves, and when we are thats a different kind of alone. I had no idea how to care for myself or who i was -because i was always some-ones grandaughter daughter mother wife and  i,m still some-ones mother but they dont need me the way they used too.

Even the basics -of looking after ourselves seem pointless cooking for two or for a familly is done out of love for them, doing that for ourselves is very different,I found myself eating rice pudding out of the tin with a spoon because i just couldnt be bothered to wash up a dish - for myself yet would have hapilly have made the rice pudding from scratch and washed up for both of us without giving it a second thought weeks earlier.
Some-one else here just last week said what is the point of buying nice clothes now, and i have felt exactly like that as well - we dont just have to behave differently we feel we have become some-one else, some-one we dont know, and along the way, often some-one we dont like appears
until finally we can find some kind of peace with ourselves as we are now.

This is all something we can overcome in time but it takes a long time - everything has to change -from how we live day to day - to all those plans for two - starting from the basics how we function in our own homes - i fell down the stairs - luckilly i wasnt hurt too badly but it made me think about what if i had been - where was my phone when i fell - upstairs  - how can i make sure i can call for help in future.
Then the more mundane practical - how can i survive on half the income - how can i fix the car and do not only the things i used to do but the things he did as well, then it become how can i fill that great big hole in my life - how can i do any of the things we planned or change those plans and find something else. All that on top of all the emotions is a massive life change.

Please dont imagine i am saying your mums grief is somehow worse then yours, i,m not, of course i,m not - :hug: i,m just saying it is probably different and i am saying it based on my own experience of losing both parents and partners,and i cant speak for others, because people are all different too.

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 09:40:14 PM »
Ugh I hate Christmas, so not interested this year, toying with the idea of buggering off somewhere, hugs to everyone here xxx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 03:18:01 PM »
you might struggle to go anywhere to avoid it altogether - mind you you could always take an arctic cruise -no one will be there - they will all be busy delivering presents. I know what you mean though - i thought about sneaking back to Wales and holing up between xmas and new year - until i saw the prices - so its camping or nothing - and even i draw the line at that  in winter these days- maybe there will be a last minute cancellation. :hug: