Author Topic: Have you achieved something today?  (Read 30789 times)

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Have you achieved something today?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 01:36:45 PM »
you need to keep the heat low turn them and be patient chaps,  to check stick a fork in,if the juice comes out clear theyre done if its pinkish theyre not.

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2016, 02:00:32 PM »
Well my 'achievements' today turned into disasters too!
I decided to wash the towels and hang them out on the whirly gig. Now that might not sound much but I find going out into the back garden very difficult since Alan died- too many memories. Anyway I did it and hung them out. Next time I looked the whirly had snapped in half - would have been simple before- get in the car , get a new one and put it in. No transport now. Soooo I've lathered it in Gorilla Glue and bound gaffer tape round it- it might work, it might not, sheeeesh.
Second 'achievement' I gave the budgie a good clean out and washed and hoovered all round the area, I foolishly lifted the large cage back onto the table forgetting I had a pot of water on top and the whole thing tipped forward and sloshed down my top and onto the floor.
So--- swap one new whirly gig for a plate of perfectly good sausages anyone!?!    :coffeetoast:

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2016, 07:00:27 PM »
Thanks for the tip Karena,  I'm sure I'll improve in time.

Julie,  I assume your whirly gig is what I call a rotary drier,  yes we have one too in the garden,  but TBH the tumble drier in the kitchen has never been used so much.  I always encouraged my wife to dry clothes outside when it was nice as one does,  to keep the bills down....lol (well I am a typical man) so the tumble drier mainly got used in bad weather and winter etc.  Where in my case I've been using it to dry 90% of all my washing.
So I'm sure she would have commented on that..lol

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:49:46 AM by Brian71 »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2016, 10:39:44 PM »
 :hug:you could probably get a whirlygig online and get it delivered.I,m always spilling stuff last night I made a mug of help you sleep tea,well it didn't help me sleep because I knocked it over and scalded my foot,not badly just enough to keep me awake.
I,m baby sitting this weekend,so I imagine most of my achievements will be firstly remaining sane and secondly  keeping a four year old entertained,although the weather looks more promising on the latest forecast so could be picnic by the river,bucket and fishing net at the ready and fingers crossed.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2016, 08:26:51 AM »
Wishing you lots of energy for your babysitting karena! Its pouring with rain here. 

We're mid bathroom refit at the mo, think I may be having an allergic reaction to the dust its stirred up or plaster dust, as my nose is streaming.  :-(  feeling quite rough.  Hopefully motoring along though, as the guy is coming to do the tiling today.  Would be nice to have a bath operational again! Xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 12:27:57 AM »
Today I cooked Mexican food.

... and discovered that I don't like it.  :undecided:

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2016, 12:49:16 AM »
I always encouraged my wife to dry clothes outside when it was nice as one does,  to keep the bills down....lol (well I am a typical man) so the tumble drier mainly got used in bad weather and winter etc.  Where in my case I've been using it to dry 90% of all my washing.

I don't feel as guilty now I know I'm not the only one. The arguments we had about using the tumble dryer on fine days!! Now I don't hang anything out but I do hang my head in shame  :azn:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2016, 12:51:11 AM »
Today I cooked Mexican food.
... and discovered that I don't like it.

Perhaps that's only when it's cooked by you though is it?  :grin:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2016, 01:10:32 AM »
I don't feel as guilty now I know I'm not the only one. The arguments we had about using the tumble dryer on fine days!! Now I don't hang anything out but I do hang my head in shame  :azn:

I have to hang my head in shame too...lol
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:04:06 PM by Brian71 »

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2016, 03:27:27 PM »
Well I sort of achieved something today after my horrible day yesterday I made myself get up, and then I went out to look for some paint in the garage. Decided to sort out and throw a few bits and pieces, Alan was a terrible hoarder. Only did about an hour before it made me too sad but at least I did it. Just to see his DIY stuff that he would never need again- very difficult.

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2016, 05:25:22 PM »
Yes things like that are very tough Julie,  I have not thrown anything of my wife's out.
I just can't bring myself to throw anything out yet....and it will soon be 5mths.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:34:29 AM by Brian71 »

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2016, 10:40:21 PM »
Perhaps that's only when it's cooked by you though is it?  :grin:

If it were just me eating it I would agree but my daughter and her fiancée, who like Mexican food said it was very nice. I think there's something wrong with them. There can't be many things worse than food with soured cream, guacamole and salsa smeared all over it.

Today I got a bit of painting done and actually mixed a bucket of mortar and filled some holes I've been meaning to do for ages.

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2016, 05:59:50 PM »
I was dreading this weekend a little as it was my wife's birthday yesterday,  and today is 5 months to the day when she passed away,  I had a couple of tearful sessions yesterday, but no tears today so far,  though I have been keeping myself fairly busy today.

I'm trying to get on top of jobs, before leaving for Scotland for a holiday,  part of me is looking forwards to it, while the other half knows I shall be dreading the loneliness because I know she should be with me.    I like driving and love my cars,  but I just wish she was occupying that passenger seat, but sadly she cannot.   She loved our many holidays as we tended to have about 8/9 weeks away every year, sometimes more,  whether I continue to do so is anyone's guess.  IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME.

Hope your all coping and your day has not been too bad......a day at a time remember...
 :hug:
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:39:31 AM by Brian71 »

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2016, 11:08:32 PM »
Good Lord Brian. That's a hell of a lot of work you've done there. I'm surprised you have he energy to type. The ld paintbrushes are always a good fall back if your looking for something to occupy you but I would have stretched out a ceiling to two days.

Today I mostly slept but I did manage to rehang the kitchen door.  :laugh:

Unfortunately it doesn't shut anymore.  :undecided:

Offline angela33

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2016, 12:04:06 AM »
well done Brian for finding your way through two sad days - that's especially tough to have two really important dates next to each other.  Sometimes anticipating the sorrow of an anniversary is worse than the actual day itself but whatever our emotions do to us, we do somehow find ourselves getting through, albeit a bit worse for wear on occasions. I love reading about your and others on this site's exploration of this weird world we now live in and am inspired by the way humour so often trickles through but lordy its tough sometimes.  I am still struggling back to health after two weeks with really bad chest infection and am still pretty weak and wobbly, but think am beginning to turn a corner at last.  Managed to have a short ride this morning on a friend's horse which did me lots of good - John and I met through horses and always had one of our own during our life together.  Sadly we had to re-home our horse, Billy Whizz IV last September as John was becoming so ill and needed me to be at home to care for him - it was heartbreaking for both of us as caring for, competing and riding our horses was the foundation of our shared life.  Happily Billy went to a very good home in Somerset and the new owner and I remain in touch - she keeps me up with how Billy is doing and I visit and ride him when I can. So my achievement today was to have a nice ride in the fresh air. Also having a dog is a great way to keep me active as he needs walks three times a day - luckily my next door neighbour took this over for me when I was ill which was a huge help as I was unable to get out of bed for a few days let alone go stomping over the fields. I do love being outdoors and although my cottage is cosy and welcoming and I have no wish to move, I find it very lonely being there on my own. Tending to leave the radio on when I go out so I don't come back to silence.  Beginning to fear the Autumn/Winter dark days and nights that we are moving toward at a rate of knots as these next few months are full of memories of John deteriorating and then dying at the beginning of December 2015. Thinking and anticipating can be so depressing - must try more to live in the moment - now that would be an achievement! Keep bu**ering on everyone!