Author Topic: Have you achieved something today?  (Read 30983 times)

Offline CornishDave

Re: Have you achieved something today?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 08:23:55 PM »
Nothing at all wrong with your posts Brian, I hope to read many more and will be waiting for you to play us a tune one day!

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 10:58:57 PM »
Nothing wrong with Ginsters parties Brian. In fact I wish I had made one of those instead of the pasta bake. There would certainly have been less washing up to do.

Hoping you have a long run of good days.

Offline CornishDave

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 10:17:35 AM »
Now there we will have to disagree, as a Cornishman I can tell you that Ginsters pasties are an insult to proper Cornish pasties!

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »
Have to agree, a decent genuine Cornish Pasty is better than a Ginster.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:26:16 AM by Brian71 »

Offline CornishDave

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 11:02:26 AM »
Bit more than a couple of seconds too long methinks Brian! More practice needed!

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 11:13:46 AM »
Ok I concede..maybe just a wee bit overcooked, poached egg wasn't too bad though, and as oldman steptoe in the Steptoe and Son TV comedy series used to say, you can always scrape the burnt bits off...lol

I normally don't eat sausages etc.,  but these were still in the fridge after my daughter and 2 girls stayed with me for a week recently and needed using, as they had gone past use by date,   and I do like my food cooked well....okay perhaps not quite that much...... most of those ended up in the bin....lol

I used to waste that much bread, because a loaf would last me weeks,  I now freeze them and just take out half dozen slices at a time,  I got fed up picking all the green bits off...lol

I really need to defrost the freezer soon, it does defrost itself to some extent but still needs doing say once a year, so I'm trying to use up food that's in there and there's an awful lot.   All 4 draws are full solid,  I just can't see me cooking joints, chickens and tons of other meat cuts my wife had frozen.   I might defrost another small garlic baguette today for tea and melt a little cheese on the top,  I've had quite a bit of success with those...lol...ie roll it in tin foil and pop in oven for 20mins or so, even I can't go wrong with those.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 03:46:38 PM by Brian71 »

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 05:23:21 PM »
Not quiet such a lazy day today,  I put clean sheets on the bed and bunged everything in the wash, while giving the bungalow a good vacuuming, and dust and polished all the furniture.  Got down on all 4's and gave the bathroom floor a clean too including changing bathroom mats for clean set,  computer room also had a good clean, so it's all looking pretty good at the moment.

Have popped a small garlic baguette in the oven for tea, which I'll top with melted cheese,  hopefully without incinerating it...lol

Just one brief tearful session,  well..part laughing as well,  while I was sat in the garden and my mind wondered back to a very funny incident involving my wife and I back in February, something unsuitable for public airing...lol
but it did tickle me thinking about it as it was hilarious.  I hope your day went equally as well... :hug:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 08:23:56 AM by Brian71 »

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 06:29:47 PM »
Goodness Brian- you make me feel ashamed! Hope your baguette was edible! I had roast beef and chips with peas, have to force myself to try and eat properly as my appetite is virtually non existent and I lost 2 stone since Alan first became ill 2 years ago. I'm making up for it with crisps and chocolate in the evening though- naughty but nice so why not.

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2016, 06:46:53 PM »
That sounds delicious, and I must admit my tea was almost as nice..NOT!
Well Julie, all was great until I added a small amount of cheese to melt on the top.

Looked lovely when I took it out of the foil Julie  a bit on soft side maybe,  but figured it would crisp up a touch when I added the cheese,  so I placed the pieces of garlic stick on the oven tray and added the cheese,  I don't like cheese on all of them, just a few pieces,  turned off the oven and switched on the grill.  Yes I've even got used to using all these kitchen gadgets now....simples, the micro wave however is something else...l  don't think my wife knew how to use that 100% properly..lol...but yes I'm coping well, and the dishes I'm cooking are really showing definite signs of improvement,...yummy yummy. if this keeps up I'll soon be inviting friends for tea, (probably just as well I have few friends..lol)

Unfortunately I discovered that 5mins is a bit too long under the grill, so maybe just a fraction too crispy now...lol
It was not too bad after breaking off all the burnt bits.....lol

Maybe we should start a topic,  "Who Copes best after we lose our partner,  Men or Women ?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:28:58 AM by Brian71 »

Offline Julie Magson

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2016, 07:08:34 PM »
Lol Brian! I actually love burnt bits!

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2016, 07:09:59 PM »
I have a new freezer arriving tomorrow as mine is playing up, so I've been doing my best to use up as much of the content as possible too.  Has been some odd combinations for dinner or lunches, and multiple crumbles with a variety of fruit combinations - apple, rhubarb, blackberry.

Trouble is, going to be a more expensive shop to fill the new one back up! I guess at least there'll be plenty of space for the new batch of stewed cooking apples from this years crop xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2016, 07:18:30 PM »
Lol Brian! I actually love burnt bits!

Rather you than me Julie,   even the birds turned their nose up at it and flew off again after having a good look...lol

However men always have a plan B.........................................................thank god for hot cross buns...lol
and no I won't be toasting them....better not push my luck, one things for sure that freezer will get emptied quicker than I thought the way I'm going, though it does need defrosting.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:30:52 AM by Brian71 »

Offline Brian71

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2016, 07:31:19 PM »
I have a new freezer arriving tomorrow as mine is playing up, so I've been doing my best to use up as much of the content as possible too.  Has been some odd combinations for dinner or lunches, and multiple crumbles with a variety of fruit combinations - apple, rhubarb, blackberry.

Trouble is, going to be a more expensive shop to fill the new one back up! I guess at least there'll be plenty of space for the new batch of stewed cooking apples from this years crop xx

I shall probably get it down to about half empty, and I noticed we have a decent sized cool bag in the attic, the sort you take on picnics to keep everthing cool inside,  and because I notice there's a few ice packs in the freezer too,  I was going to store the freezer contents in the cooler bag together with some ice packs and it should give me enough time to defrost the freezer....well that's the plan,  haven't got a plan B for that one..lol

Hopefully I won't need to replace appliances yet a while, probably last till I've gone as the bungalow is not very old, like most modern homes it has everything built into the kitchen,  the fridge/freezer is from floor to almost the ceiling with large fridge on top and bottom half the freezer. 50/50  Not sure how one gets on with those if it goes wrong as it matches all the kitchen finish,  though I assume they use standard appliances behind the pretty facia's I imagine.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 07:38:13 PM by Brian71 »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2016, 10:23:32 PM »
Hubby I,m impressed.,cooking is not my forte,but as I,be only myself to please it doesn't really matter,I make a mean veggie soup which is what I live off in winter,and fruit crumbles and jam,mostly because I have a lot of fruit trees,
I achieved falling back to sleep this morning after weeks of insomnia unfortunately at the cost of being late for work.

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 10:50:54 PM »
I had to laugh at those bangers Brian. I've had a problem cooking them from day one. I even managed to do some that looked remarkably similar once but they were still raw in the inside!!!

I'm almost sure Margaret could rustle up a sausage butty in five minutes but it takes me 25 minutes to cook them in the oven (Gas mark 6, middle shelf) which is the only way I have managed to produce edible ones with any regularity.