Author Topic: Books to Help Family/Family Member with Upcoming Bereavement  (Read 1197 times)

Offline JRA

Books to Help Family/Family Member with Upcoming Bereavement
« on: February 18, 2020, 10:50:49 AM »
Hello everyone. I hope this is the correct place to ask for advice on this. I’ll just start typing and hope this comes out right.

A close friend of mine is going to lose her mum at some stage. Could be some time, could be months, could be weeks. She’s asked if I could find a book for her mother to read about that addresses death and offers reassurance and comfort of some sort. It shouldn’t be religious really, and also not “overly poetic” as she put it, or her mum wouldn’t engage with it. Also, we’ve found a few out there but mostly specific to cancer, which isn’t relevant to her heart condition.

I can imagine that might be a tall order but I just had to ask. Any suggestions on the above would be so wonderful and would help an amazing family with a horrible time they shouldn’t be facing.

Thanks in advance for reading and suggesting anything at all. And best wishes to all.

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Books to Help Family/Family Member with Upcoming Bereavement
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 11:28:31 AM »
Hello JRA,

So sorry to hear about your friend's mum. It's an unusual question and not something I have thought of before. I can't specifically recommend any particular book, but a quick search led me to these two. I haven't read them, so am not sure if they would be of any help, but you could have a look and see what you think. The first is The Art of Dying: The Only Book for Persons Facing Their Own Death by Patricia Weenolsen Ph.D.The reviews appear to be quite good, though a little mixed. The other is With the End in Mind. How to live and die Well by Kathryn Mannix. This apparently was a bestseller and has lots of reviews out there that seem to be good also. I couldn't find anything else and you will have to do some work on this to decide if they might be useful or not yourself, as I don't know these books, so am going by the reviews only. I hope someone can recommmend something else hat they know better for your friend's mum.

All good wishes to you all.  :hug:

Offline JRA

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 11:36:44 AM »
Thanks for that Sandra that will be extremely useful. Potentially they look super - I'll give them a look and pass them on.

Offline SarahB

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 12:51:43 PM »
I'm reading a book by Elizabeth Kubler Ross and David Kessler about the 5 stages of Grief and also one called Life after Life (more spiritual than religious).