« on: October 14, 2019, 11:27:38 PM »
H
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 04:11:28 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Funny encounter at the harbour
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 09:58:14 AM »
dont let her put you off saying hi to people there is a guy says hi to me every morning as he walks his dogs up the road in the opposite direction when i am on my way to work - the dogs come for a fuss  i am probably as big a part of their routine as a lampost but i dont think he is chatting me up its just a natural thing to do - My anxiety and paranoia voice  could say - maybe he isnt chatting you up because you are too fat/ugly/ cursed or whatever,  (its not as though i want to be chatted up i really dont.) but it would certainly never occur to me that saying hi as he passes was anything approaching a chat up line any more than the woman in the cottage who waves at me from the kitchen window does so because she thinks i,m gretal and wants to lure me in too push me in the oven.

What i am saying is dont let her affect what you do, the problem lies with her not you, and maybe she feels totally embrassed now by making that assumption you dont know what has gone on in her life to make her have that viewpoint any more than she knew anything about you  - go to the beach you want too go to if she doesnt like it she can go elsewhere but maybe she will realise how silly she is being and return the greeting,either way its not you who needs to scuttle back into your shell.

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
R
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 08:58:28 PM »
H
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 04:12:03 PM by GHOST »

Offline Janlmb

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 06:13:57 PM »
So sorry that woman was nasty to you.  It is her problem and not yours.  Now that my husband is gone I really feel glad when other dog walkers say hello.  In fact I sometimes say Good Morning to people that I don't know.  We should not be so up tight about making contact with other people.  There is a man who has always said hello to me when I see him.  I have never felt that it was anything other than being friendly to another person. Thank you for clearing up the rubbish on the beach.  You are clearly a kind and good person who cares for animals and people and our beautiful world.  Don't give up.

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 11:31:45 AM »
3 bags off the beach is three bags not in the sea so actually really important - imagine if everyone did that I saw a video earlier in the week wheere a boat crew had spotted a dolphin splashing and coming up for air but obviousely in distress so they went over and jumped in and found it was caught in a net - they couldnt cut it off in the water so hoisted it on board cut it off put the dolphin back in the sea turned their attention to the net started pulling it out and discovered two turtles in it as well which they were also able to free -thats one net which would probably have fitted into your three bags and three lives saved.

But even if you dont live near the sea picking it up anywhere is just as important because it blows into waterways and ends up in the sea as well. And it isnt just what we do but the way we send a message out to others - those who see us doing it.I spotted two of my grandsons in the summer with a huge black bag and asked them what on earth they were up too - they had been to the river for a swim in the early evening found the bank covered in rubbish gone and got the bag and filled it - and it isnt even just the ones who know you that you influence - so many times if you start doing it total strangers young and old will come over and join in. (As you can tell this is a passion of mine   :rofl:)

Janimb the point really of the second paragraph is that we do very much influence others by what we do and those are the little things that help us carry on, the person who smiles and says good morning on a bad day can brighten our days so much so even though you may never know it when you do that yourself, by saying hello to a stranger you may be doing exactly the same, and so often we feel there is no point in being here after our loss, but there is a point it may be obvious if we are standing on the right corner at the right time and grab some-ones child who was about to run out into the road or bother to stop the boat and see what is distressing that dolphin and far more often we may not see it, but where we are and how we behave at any given time does make a difference.

So yes Brian 0the woman was unfriendly, we dont know why she made an assumption (unless you actually were wearing a mankini  :rofl: ) and maybe it was based on her own experience of life,  but the point was you grabbed the dog and an animals life is valuable too as i know you appreciate.   

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
R
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 07:30:15 PM »
I
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 04:12:35 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 12:44:45 PM »
maybe an army of wombling Rorys, all taught to fetch and drop into a bag would be a good way to go - i know you are so much younger than me   :whistle:  but all that bending to pick stuff up will get to you in the end.