Author Topic: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in  (Read 147174 times)

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Everyday general chat, everyone welcome, just join in
« Reply #585 on: December 07, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »
They certainly are - i watchd a starling murmuration a couple of years ago it was amazing - and for me there is nothing greater than a dolphin fin breaking the surface which is something me and keith shared - but by going back it is something that i havnt lost, and feeling him closer to me more than at any other time when logic said it would make me feel his loss more and feel even more alone is an unexpected bonus.
The natural world has so much to give through out grief something that we can still take so much from not only with out old memorys but in creating new ones. -We once spent nearly two hours freezing cold but fascinated by the way a flock of geese were organising themselves - practising take off and landing in formation with such precision like an RAF squad,but now many years later the sound of geese flying over even at night when i cant see them always brings a smile,  because what we in our daily lives might not have noticed or taken much notice of if we did becomes a continuation of what was shared with him and with the geese,  knowing it isnt a random act  as we might have assumed previousely but meaningful familly communication - the one loud one is the leader on a given flight, what appears to be one flight may be made up of two or three squads each with a squad leader, or there may be another squad just out of our range - the others on the outside of a single squad at night  are communicating their position too the leader, and so now i try to identify even when i cant see them who are the leaders how many squads there are.So something discovered together still remains something special if we allow it too and if that is something in nature where it can be repeated because it isnt dependant on human relationships - the friends who vanished, the couples who didnt but are still couples so you feel even more lonely, the rules of human life - nature doesnt give a damm about those rules it has its own and they continue and so help us to recall those special moments but also collect new ones because they are still special.   

Offline CarolineL

• Be kind to yourself
« Reply #586 on: February 20, 2019, 05:37:27 PM »
After not talking to anyone about how I have felt over losing my husband, just saying, yeh I'm ok thanks, when anyone asks I am finding this forum such a release, its good to talk, thank you BUK  :hug:

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #587 on: February 20, 2019, 09:16:41 PM »
 :hug:

I too found this forum so supportive, having somewhere you could come and just be you, share what was on your mind or find others who understand was so valuable. No need to put on a brave face or have to explain beyond what you need to. Even somewhere you can have some every day chat
I would never have imagined it but have also made some good friends, some I have met in person too.  BUK is indeed a special place  :hearts: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Sue Hewitt

« Reply #588 on: March 11, 2019, 01:14:28 AM »
Hi I’m sorry to ask but how do I introduce my self I’m new and just can’t do it
Thanks Sue

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #589 on: March 11, 2019, 10:01:48 PM »
You never need to say sorry here Sue  :hug:
In the forum, when you're in one of the sections there is a 'new topic' button at the top - if you click there it will start what we call a 'thread'.  People can then reply to you.
Dont worry about putting it in the wrong place, we can move it if needed xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #590 on: June 15, 2019, 08:03:26 AM »
Hows everyone holding up with all this torrential rain? Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #591 on: June 15, 2019, 09:06:55 AM »
Nothing worse than a bucket on the floor in the kitchen which caught about 3 or 4 pints of water over two nights. I have a brilliant roofing company very close by and they found the problem so it's sorted now,

My heart goes out to those poor people who find themselves under several feet of water.  I can't imagine how people facing months and months of disruption cope.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #592 on: June 17, 2019, 10:53:48 AM »
To be honest it has rarely got to being torrential up here, just a long period of dark and dismal days and a constant mizzle with some heavy showers in between although the river was looking pretty full over the weekend  it tends to move very fast through here then cause floods lower down where the land is much flatter.
 It must be so heartbreaking for those badly affected by flood water though.
Where i lived before we could literally opent the back door and the water would run through the kitchen and out of the front door - again we were vey lucky being on a slope it didnt linger so there wasnt too much mopping up - although putting anything on the kitchen floor was a waste of money and there were no kitchen units in there just a high breakfast bar - the cooker stood on a raised block we had a unit on wheels that could quickly be moved from under under the breakfast bar and the pans etc were all hung from the beams (looking back i sometimes wonder what tempted us to even consider renting that place - no heating except an open fire,single glazed rotting windows, no kitchen :rofl:)

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #593 on: June 17, 2019, 11:08:24 AM »
Our next door neighbour when we first moved in was just like a scond mother to me. Everybody loved her, she was a kind, gentle lady and a great loss to us when she passed away. Her house stood lower than ours and she was always complaining that 'my water' was flooding her drive  :rofl:
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #594 on: June 17, 2019, 04:30:19 PM »
It has been pretty torrential here - bit of respite today but think the rains back tomorrow.  My dog has not been impressed - he tends to stand in the doorway watching it and whining like its my fault! Xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #595 on: June 18, 2019, 10:47:51 AM »
Ben hated rain, you had to literally drag him out - but snow was entirely different - he loved it - that erm frozen rain.  :rofl:

Sounds like a lovely lady Longedge but people can be funny - my neighbours are frankly a bit odd, its a second home but he is obsessed with the wheely bins. For starters theyre mine,techically on my land if i was pedantic -  he couldnt find his out the back when they bought it so i agreed they could share mine ( and have since discovered he is using the ones out the back as well which he has apprently now found - theyre just further away)

The brown bin i dont use at all as i compost everything and since the council started charging an annual fee for them (as well as putting council tax up)i was going to tell them to take it away but he decided he wanted to keep it and to pay for it -but  they dont have a garden. :whistle:  There are cobbles outside his house about the width and length of a car and he scrapes the moss off them occasionally and pops the odd stray leaf in - surely that doesnt warrant an entire wheely bin and a hefty fee  -

But the way they are obsessively lined up perhaps explains it - he must need three to make it work - all set the same distance apart and in a diagonal pattern, not a straight line of them  but again the same distance front to back.Obviousely they get moved - and to be honest in the early days when there was disputes about other things going on with them,  i and another neighbour who they upset did sometimes do it on purpose - but then he started getting to the point he drives up from Cheshire puts them straight then drives home again , the other neighbour has now gone  so i have decided he is obviousely ill and have stopped doing it ( for the sake of the environment as well  :rofl: )

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #596 on: June 19, 2019, 01:26:18 AM »
Never mind 'flaming June, it's more like raining June! I'm still waiting for the builder to start on replacing my roof too, so am emptying the buckets and bowls whenever it comes down!  :angry: Let's hope July is better!

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #597 on: June 19, 2019, 11:01:03 AM »
 :hug: awful isnt it -and you just know that if it does improve some-one is going to say "we need the rain"  :rofl:

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #598 on: November 08, 2019, 11:57:17 AM »
This place has been empty for a while - so anyway i have loads of news all based on the filling up of my house.

Firstly i am no longer a single resident  - my eldest grandson has moved in with me - he is a lovely lad - and we get on so well - always have - but he did really badly on his mocks and was potentially going off the rails over the summer  -so i sugested as i have more time i could take over homework etc and he could stay with me  in term time to make sure he went to school etc. 
So its a new experience having a teenage boy in the house - mine were girls - but i,m loving having some-one to get up for, to make breakfast and packed lunches and cook tea for - i worried it would be a bit too much now i have got used to my own little ways (remain in bed as long as possible skip breakfast and get to work late, go home  heat some soup and stick the telly on) -  but so far i,m loving it and it isnt all one way he gets the coal in and generally helps out around the house always has been my right hand man since aged seven he took my arm and offered to guide me across a field - (i didnt need guiding but i was cute  :rofl:) .
 He has had no negatives from school since he moved in so i guess i must be doing something right  ( i dont really rate it as bad behaviour when they can get a negative for  forgetting their lanyard or wearing the wrong colour shoe laces anyway - but i havnt expressed that too him  :rofl: )
He has joined junior fell rescue and loves that - works saturday morning in a local garage and is helping the boss there do up a rally car (takes after his grandad ) so his influences have changed for the better and  fingers crossed its going to carry on working out well for both of us.

second piece of news my daughter and grandaughter may be staging a permanant return to the UK next spring if her husband can get a visa (the house is really going to get full then until they find a place to live)

third and final my granson and i rescued a partridge - we had a dog staying at the time so were out walking when we spotted  this little one running along and trying to fly but failing - so brought him home - evicted  the dog out of his cage (he didnt mind ) kept it in there for a few days and it was eating bird food quite hapilly but still not using one of  its wings. - One of the new lads at work has parents who do a lot of wildlofe rescue on their small holding -  so he took it - the wing was dislocated not brocken so is back in place now - but its so tame  -we are guessing its been hand reared then released for shooting and escaped the guns, but not been able to forage for itself - it was half starved as well -so he/she is coming home too for the winter - The plan was to try and release it into the woodlands in spring so it stands more chance of survivng with available food - but honestly i dont know that it wont be too dependant by then  (or that i wont be too fond of it  :rofl:)
so anyway where do you keep a partridge -and i dont want to hear about cooking pots and herbs and red wine sauce -that definitely isnt an option :rofl:
Well maybe you get it some companions and keep them in a chicken coop with a lower floor -  inside a pollytunnel so that it can roam around freely during the day but have extra protection from the elements in winter, while it pulls up the weeds eats the slugs and fertilises the soil for you -  then in the spring when you dont want it to pull up seedlings and the polytunnel gets too hot, you relocate it all too a fruit cage full of rasberrys (too tall for foraging but not poisenous too them  if they picked some up)  and they do the same there - and partidge eggs are not very big but they are edible and partidges dont make as much racket as chickens for the neighbours to moan about -and all those extra people moving in means i need to grow more food -and if there are rescue hedgehogs as well they work at opposite ends of the day but get on fine anyway   
There is a bit of a theme going on here -  it appears i am possibly about to become hedgehog foster carer / very small premaculture  smallholder -(whatever happend to downsize and have a nice cosy quiet life  :whistle:
and all because of one very cute little partridge. :rofl:   

Offline Jill

« Reply #599 on: November 08, 2019, 05:35:39 PM »
Hi Karena,  That's lovely to hear about your grandson and maybe your daughter and her family visiting you.  Glad to hear it is all going well.  Also good to hear the partridge is on the mend.  There used to be a lot more hedgehogs about when I was a child.  I don't even see them here out in the country.  But like to hear the owls and buzzards and cuckoos.  Good luck with it all.  Jill