Author Topic: Sad news, got to have dog put to sleep  (Read 21764 times)

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
Re: Sad news, got to have dog put to sleep
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2018, 10:33:35 PM »
R
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:24:35 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2018, 09:58:18 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug:I know, i hated going through the door and no greeting - i used to delay it, walking home from work very slowly and spending time looking in closed shop windows along the way just to justify the stopping. Even now sometimes i open the door carefully so as not to let him out the front onto the road and expect him to be right there behind it. :hug:

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2018, 07:16:32 PM »
Rory is a Havanese (from Cuba)  he is like a mini Lhasa Apso and he's lovely little fella BUT they do need lots of grooming hence reason i have his fur trimmed short as its quite easy for them to get knots....he doesn't shed hair like Hamish our Cavalier but If I had known what was instore for me and Ruth I would have got a short haired dog, due to my health probs I do struggle to handle him as he's a wriggler and having the use of one hand arm some times I struggle but I wouldn't change him now as its me and him against the world. I couldn't live without a dog especially in this house as strange  things happen here so he is a good distraction from them. I think for someone who is pretty fit then a Havanese  is a good choice just be prepared to either get them trimmed short (called a puppy cut) or if you leave it to grow it easily touches the floor :smiley: I like to see his cheeky face.
My sister said he looks a bit simple with his hair cut short lol  I can see what she means lol

What a handsome boy xxx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2018, 07:19:17 PM »
:hug: :hug: :hug:I know, i hated going through the door and no greeting - i used to delay it, walking home from work very slowly and spending time looking in closed shop windows along the way just to justify the stopping. Even now sometimes i open the door carefully so as not to let him out the front onto the road and expect him to be right there behind it. :hug:
I miss him greeting me too and the company xxx I hope I’ll get used to it but I can see myself having another dog in time but it’s when I go to work, I’ll have to find someone to take him for walks etc , I couldn’t have a puppy but maybe an older dog that is used to their own company more, I don’t want a dog to be miserable all alone

Offline GHOST

• VIP Member
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2018, 11:23:03 PM »
H
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 06:25:02 PM by GHOST »

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2018, 12:22:21 PM »
Brian at least you didnt waste any more time dating some-one who definitely wasnt suited to you.

Kes its early days give yourself some time -
I also have to consider work and turned down an offer of a pup just a couple of weeks ago based on that. I was going to suggest one of the fostering schemes the dog rescue people use - where you foster them so they are in a home environment rather than becoming institutionalised in a kennel, until they can be rehomed permanantly - but again if a dog has for example abandonment issues which many do in that situation  it is something you would have to deal with - although you would get help and support from the shelter -you would also probably have to take some time off while you sorted it - so with foster dogs you might have to do it several times over which isnt going to be an option - although you can also adopt a dog you foster so you would have chance with an older dog to make sure it was the right one and would adapt to you being at work.I also travel quite a bit -some of this is in the UK camping so not an issue with a dog that can adapt too that many people do take their dogs - but i also had a friend who came and stayed in the house when i was abroad - so i would have to consider whether they would want to do that again - it cant be my decision alone -

The holiday thing works well because i can just say no if i,m going to be away and theyre none of them pups and all three regulars are  happy to be left while i,m at work.One of them is a nightmare on a lead as she isnt used to one but walking without one round here through fields of sheep is not a chance  i,m willing to take.Luckilly she is old enough to be content and reasonably excercised with catch ball in the garden and a short walk up the lane.

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2018, 01:53:30 PM »
How about a rescue dog one day? there's some lovely dogs wanting a lovely new home......I don't want to be a lonely grumpy old git and wee Rory's certainly keeps me on my toes and gives you a reason to get up every day. For people who have never had a pet they don't know what they are missing.....many years ago I went on a sort of date arranged by one of my mates and while we were out we went to a pub and they had a beautiful Red Setter dog and as i love all animals I was instantly drawn to it and it jumped up and gave me a kiss! and my date screeched with disgust at me letting this dirty creature jump on me lol I said to her its a better kisser than her and she got up and left the pub LOL  great ending to a crap night....favourite bit was meeting the dog.

I had to laugh at this 😂 , red setters are beautiful dogs and sounds like a great ending to the night!! You and your date obviously weren’t meant to be!! I would certainly consider a rescue dog but I’d have to have one that would be ok being left while I was at work and with the abandonment issues that karena pointed out, that would worry me, it wouldn’t be fair on the dog if that was the case. Harry would bark for hours in our old house when I went to work after mum passed  away, and he was in his own, funnily enough he settled better in our new home and would lie down and sleep mostly but then he was an old dog. I’m not going to rush into anything

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2018, 02:58:10 PM »
I’m feeling so guilty today, I wish I’d kept him with me a while longer 😢😢😢😢 I know he was in failing health and was struggling and it’s selfish for me to even think about this but I can’t help it, I miss him so much 😭😭😭😭

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2018, 07:49:46 PM »
I got in touch with the lady at felt finesse today and she’s going to make me a felt sculpture of Harry, she’s solidly booked until after Christmas but I can wait as her work looks amazing, thanks emz xxxx

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »
You're welcome   :hug:   her work is stunning
I think it's normal to have moments of guilt, but often it's our pain of missing them thats behind it. You did the best thing for him, you had the strength when he didnt  :hearts:  it will get easier

You could consider something like 'borrow my doggy' (I think thats the name), where you are paired with some owners and have a  kind of 'timeshare' in a way - may be a way of still enjoying having a dog around, building a relationship with him/her but not the full time issues. xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2018, 09:58:22 PM »
Thanks emz I’ll have a look at that as well. Yes, I know, it’s going to be hard for a while isn’t it I think, I have to be resigned to that fact. I’m going to try and keep busy, I’ve joined an online dating site tonight, just to get out there and meet a few people, it’s been a while, I’m a bit rusty!

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2018, 10:04:53 PM »
When it's really tough remember all the love and care you gave him, he was blessed to have you  :hearts:
Good luck with the site, I have some funny stories from my days on an online dating site! :-) xx
Hold on in there xx

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2018, 10:29:11 PM »
Yes I will keep that thought  with me, I’m sure it will help xx I’ll let you know how the dating thing goes, will be nice to have some company

Offline Kes1968

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2018, 09:45:29 AM »
I’ve cancelled my dating site membership, it’s not my thing, I’ve joined borrowmydoggy instead and there are dogs near me I’m hoping to meet soon! That sounds odd I know but it’s too soon for dating, I’m not sure it’s the right thing while I’m still grieving and possibly vulnerable

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2018, 05:54:21 PM »
I don't think it sounds odd - dogs are such good therapy, mine have helped me through so much over the years. They're so loving, can talk to them with no judgement, they help us stay/get active (which is so good for us) and they usually have a habit of doing something you can't help smiling or laughing about.  Sometimes dogs are better than people! Xx
Hold on in there xx