Author Topic: Hello I'm new x  (Read 1931 times)

Offline finnblakesmum78

Hello I'm new x
« on: October 14, 2019, 02:30:02 PM »
Hi everyone, I haven't lost my mom yet but she has terminal small cell lung cancer and not too much time left. I haven't known where to go to talk and spk to others who are in similar situation.
I'm not sure what post to write how I'm feeling coping etc?x

Offline Sandra61

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Hello I'm new x
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 04:53:37 PM »
Hello and welcome to this site.  :hug:

I lost my mum two years ago and didn't manage to find this site until well into the following year, but finding the support from the members here really helped me, so it's probably a good thing you have found it already. My mum spent the last six weeks of her life in hospital and I recall hoping against hope that she would get better, but knowing she probably wouldn't. I have since learnt that you begin grieving for someone even before they are gone when you know you are going to lose them and I cried buckets whenever I was at home knowing I wouldn't have her with me for much longer, so I am sure that's what I did.

I think all you can do is make sure you do everything you can possibly do to ensure that you will have no regrets after she is gone. Put her first and try to do whatever you can to make her last months/weeks as good as they can be in the circumstances. Don't be shy about telling her how much you love her and spend as much time with her as you can. Fight for her if you have to. Hopefully the medical team caring for her are doing a fabulous job, but don't be afraid to challenge them if you have any concerns.

This will probably be the hardest thing you will ever go through. I think losing a parent is one of the hardest things ever. Talk to her about the good times and take in photos to reminisce over. Laugh if you can. Hold her hand. They say hearing is one of the last senses to go, so keep talking to her even if you think she is sleeping. She may not be and might be reassured to know you are there. Let her know it is alright to go, when you think the time is right. If your mum is anything like mine, she will hold on so as not to distress you and wait to leave until you are not there. I am told this is common, but it broke my heart to know there was no one with her when she passed away. I had only left for a brief rest at home after spending all night at her side about half an hour before she died and have to live with the guilt of that, but perhaps it was her choice. I don't know. I just know I will always wish I had stayed longer.

I am so sorry you are both suffering like this. Be strong. Do whatever helps and talk to us whenever you need to. Sending strength and a huge hug. Thinking of you.  :hearts: :hug:

Offline finnblakesmum78

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 05:05:38 PM »
Thankyou so much for your lovely message. Yes my grieving has definitely started seeing her deteriate before my eyes. We are best friends always together go out together do everything together and seeing her not that person is soul destroying.
Don't have a big family have a younger sister who lives miles away and is going travelling after all this so just me and my two sons....
Don't know what I'll do tbh....she's my bestest friend  ever!

Just can't come to terms why it's happening to her....
I'm so glad I found this site I've been searching but had no luck....
Mum refused hospice etc so we don't have any regular care or support counselling on hand.
Just us xx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 10:16:34 AM »
 :hug: have you tried mcmillan they may be able to support you or at least advise you regarding the practical side of things. - I lost my mum to cancer too it is really hard as you say to watch them being so ill.
My mum stayed with us and when she became too ill to do much other than sit and because she loved watching birds, we set up feeders etc where she could see them from the window -after she died i realised that even through that grief of knowing i was losing her, she was giving me something else to treasure in passing that love of birds on to me.While i was at work one day my husband  created an area of the garden to put those feeders in with a bench and a water feature he made himself to make a place for me  - to remember her, to grieve, and to talk to her as well, and to this day even though i have since lost my husband and moved house i have recreated it and it has become my sanctuary and the birds my companions, so it isnt just sharing old special memorys, but creating new ones however small they seem at the time that can get you through the bad days after they leave.

Offline longedge

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 02:23:23 PM »
It's a difficult time for you and I wish you strength now and for the future.

You mentioned your hospice and I have to say that our local hospice were absolutely brilliant in our time of need both before and after Chris died. I don't know if yours operates in the same way but ours actually does as much work out in the community as they do in the hospital. The support staff are well worth making contact with just to ask if there's anything they can do to help.
I'll never get over losing her and I used to think that eventually
I would learn to live with it - that's not happened yet.

~ I'm George by the way ~