Author Topic: Loss of my dad  (Read 2577 times)

Offline sharnbird

• New Members
Loss of my dad
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:13:41 PM »
My father died just over 3 weeks ago of a heart attack.  He was 81 but in really good health, active, busy all the time, never sat still, always looking after everyone else.  I am from a close family of 2 sisters and a brother, we still have my mom.  And there are between us 7 grandchildren. However the family feels broken without him and I can't imagine ever getting over this loss.  He was a huge part of all of our lives, always smiling, helping, laughing, singing and dancing.  I don't really know what else to say.  I am devastated.  The funeral is this Wednesday which I am dreading.

Offline Emz2014

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
Re: Loss of my dad
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 09:55:15 PM »
Sending a welcome hug  :hug: xx
Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise. 
Hold on in there xx

Offline Newbie_F

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 05:55:53 PM »
I have alot in common with you but my dad was only 64. At 8 weeks I'm still coming to terms with my loss but I understand your grief is extremely raw. I hope that you have supportive people around. I love my immediate family/ nephews & bro-in-law loads but have many insensitive relatives, who were such a nuisance at the funeral. Have you considered counselling or support groups to help you through this difficult time? The NHS provide free one-to-one counselling via a service called Cruse. I was seen for an initial appointment quite soon after I contacted them but am on a waiting list now for full sessions - hopefully will be seen before Father's Day at my request. I went to a church-organised local bereavement support group, which was good. In both cases it's up to you how much you want to reveal about your grief. I will warn you against going to regular library-hosted coffee mornings/ afternoons if you are looking to meet new people. These events are not specifically for the bereaved - that's not to say they can't be good for you but in my case I felt uncomfortable as the meeting was right at the front of the building making it awkward to engage in a proper conversation especially since grieving over a parent is so personal. Anyway thinking of you :candle:

Offline Zita

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 06:35:14 PM »
Although it might not seem like it right now, I'm sure you will come through it.  :hug:

Offline Newbie_F

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 07:51:47 PM »
Thank you Zita. Hope I will too :rainbow:

Offline Zita

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »
Hey Sharnbird I hope you got through today and that you are ok x