Author Topic: Does being alone ever get easier?  (Read 3420 times)

Offline Badger55

Does being alone ever get easier?
« on: April 01, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »
It is Simon's funeral on Monday so today I went to the gym first things today to do a class (just going through the motions really) and see people I know there before going shopping for something to wear on Monday.  I decided to be brave and go to the local town where Simon and I would often go on a Saturday afternoon.  I felt so, so alone driving there, parking up and wandering around the shops. 

I am now back home having also called into the supermarket for tea.  I am now stuck with the thought of now just being stuck in alone, waiting for tomorrow so I can go to the gym to see people.  All of the people who were texting, phoning, and calling round in the early days, have now gone back to not doing this, which is completely understandable, and I have read elsewhere that this happens.

I just wondered if living completely alone ever gets any better, or will I struggle with the loneliness and feelings of abandonment from now on?

Offline Melindacambs

Re: Does being alone ever get easier?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 09:46:37 AM »
My heart goes out to you.  My loss is different, both parents died within a month and have the funeral for my mum on Friday.  I think you are being incredibly brave to go out and do something, especially as this was something you used to do together.  I have just about fallen apart, and am not functioning well at all.  Sending love and respect.  Mel xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Norma

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 11:43:20 AM »
Sending a welcome   :hug: Melindacambs, so sorry for your loss, i hope by reading others posts and posting yourself you can find some comfort amongst us xx

Badger my heart goes out to you, i remember that desolate feeling of loneliness, when like you say everyone is getting on with there life again whilst you are left alone. You will eventually get used to a new way of life thats your new 'normal' not one you wanted but unfortunstely its what we are left with, its 2 1/2 year for me now, and i suppose im now used to my own company, but theres always that feeling of loneliness, dont think it ever goes away, xx

:hug:
Its been a rough week but i made it. How about you 💐

Offline Badger55

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:50:56 PM »
Thanks Norma

Much love
Badger xx

Offline Badger55

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 03:41:36 PM »
Thanks Melinda

Much love
Badger xx

Offline Badger55

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 04:59:40 PM »
Hi again Norma

Just wanted to say that it is good to know that you understand the process I am going through.  Desolate is the right word right now.

Love Badger
xxx

Offline Karena

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 09:02:37 PM »
Hi Badger.It is six years for me,and it took a long time but I am more used too it now.Even so there are still times when I really still feel it.I still miss him constantly,and have accepted I always will.day to day I come home from work to an empty house and some weekends go to the shop both days just for human contact.But there have also been times when I have found myself deliberately disappearing off on my own because coping with people being around for long periods is difficult,crazy as that seems.
Somewhere in the middle is a comfortable slot.I remember the shop situation very well but it doesn't really bother me now.I think its a case of choosing the dragons to slay and walking round the others.For example There was a discussion on here about eating out alone,and my thought was no I couldnt do that,but later realised it really doesn't matter because actually I don't want too,a takeaway coffee and sandwhich is fine.Same with the pub,I am in the same quiz team I was,but I have no reason to go to the pub apart from that.
I tried joining stuff like the WI which was a total disaster but one of the things people say you should do . That didnt work for me but it has for others here.
But my daughter lives in Africa so of course I want to be able to travel alone,and we spent our holidays volunteering for Dolphin surveys,something I still loved so I wanted to do that too.Those were the things that did matter so I did slay those dragons.It wasn't easy.But i developed some strategys to get round the hurdles,when travelling for example I always carry a camera and have a project to focus on rather than feeling like I,m an oddball it gives me a sense of purpose or reason to be somewhere.
It takes time,probably longer than we imagine it will, but there are ways to cover that gap left in our lives,even if it can never be filled.

Offline Badger55

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 06:52:08 AM »
Thank you for your lovely post Karena.

Much love
Badger xx

Offline Hubby

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 11:30:51 PM »
You don't have to be alone to be lonely. I find I get that horrible lonely feeling all the time. In work, in crowded supermarkets and pubs, at home with family. Perhaps it's because the one person who could stop that feeling is the one I lost.

Offline Badger55

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 07:22:48 AM »
That is exactly how I feel Hubby.

Badger xx